Deer GroCamera Land, Inc

Thread: New to South Carolina hunting

Unregistered Guest

Default New to South Carolina hunting

Hello all, I am about to enjoy my first deer hunting here in SC. Can anyone give me a good reccomendation for a WMA?? I am a meat hunter not a trophy hunter, so I'm not looking to get a hjoney hole so to speak. just wanting an area where I can get a few does and maybe a buck per year. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Ken

Sorry guys, I am new here to this forum as well! Wasn't logged in....GRRR! Any way, I live in Myrtle Beach and I have been looking at Francis Marion for deer and hogs. I also have looked at North Dike, and Lewis Ocean bay. Again, any help pointing in the right direction for deer/hogs would really be appreciated!

Thanks Again,
    Ken

woodbury

Jacob: I just looked up the info on Woodbury. looks pretty good! Thank you for the info!

anytime

Unregistered Guest

Hellhole in the FMNF, do some scouting and you'll find hogs and deer... turkey hunting last spring I walked up on a couple deer within shotgun range, lots of hog sign too

Unregistered, I don't think you are signed in completely. If you are still having problems let me know by pm and I'll work on it.

I don't hunt the areas around you so I can't offer much for a spot, but some general wma know how may be in order.
    Be mindful of others. I do my best to not walk in on somebody who is already in the woods. Don't be afraid to stop, and talk to others. They likely won't offer up much help, but if you get to a spot you intended to hunt, and someone is already there you can discuss hunting the area together. Offer to help drag if they make a kill, and hopefully they will be willing to do the same for you.
    If an area along the road looks like a parking lot it is. You want to find the spots where you don't see others parking.

Lastly don't try to learn the 250000 acre FMNF in one season. Find an area, and learn it. If the deer are there you'll pin them down, and kill them. The areas I hunt don't have reflective tape, or ribbons hanging around. I know where I am, and where I should be.
    Plan on small game, and turkey hunting. You'll learn more then than you will during deer season.
    Good luck Ken
    Don't quote me on that.

PS
    Choose the wma nearest you, and hunt it. There are alot of good wmas in your area, but there is no need to try to hunt them all. Knowing alot about 1 wma will by far out produce not knowing crap about any of them.
    Use the small game season to learn the other ones you'd like to try.
    Don't quote me on that.

Be sure to check the regs on the WMA that you deciede to hunt, some have certain restrictions and such.

Thank you for all the help guys! I am really looking forward to this season!

Woodbury is by far the largest in the peedee area. I scouted a little there last year but never actually hunted the property. The guys are right about learning the place, its too much too learn in 1 season. Make sure you have an idea where you are at all times. It's very easy to get turned around at Woodbury. It's about an hour drive for me 1 way so guess that's why I haven't actually hunted the property yet.

Be safe~

i have a map of woodury

I am really looking forward to scouting it! I have been hunting at North Dike...a 2 hour drive for me (1 way). I am also planning on hunting FMNF. I already have a couple of spots picked out. But a lot of people are talking about Woodbury! I will have to check that place out!!

thanks guys!
    Ken

It's nice to have wma's if you don't have access to private land. But, there are lots of stipulations with hunting those lands. Plus I like to leave my stands setup for the entire season and I'm not sure if that would be a good idea on wma's or public lands. Maybe but I don't know. I have the millennium hang on stand with a 20' stick that I'm still working on. And DNR's frowns on screw in type steps.

XiXiTT: I agree but I don't have any other option for hunting. WMAs are the only places I have to go. I would love to find a great hunt club or private land. But since I am new to SC I'll just have to wait til next season.
    Ken