Deer GroUTS Web Solutions

Thread: Nice 10 Point Killed In Front of the Hounds at Gatlin NC HC

Default Nice 10 Point Killed In Front of the Hounds at Gatlin NC HC

NCSUhunter sent me these photos of a nice 10 Pt killed on his dog club this past Friday! Nice deer by any standards. Dog hunting is still alive in the Carolinas! Whoo Hoo......

Bubba

Gatlin 10 Pt.jpgGatlin 10 pt 2011.jpg

Dadgum nice buck there
    His divine power has given us everything that we need for a Godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. 2 Peter 1:3

Thats a nice buck and a trophy in anyones eyes.

Thanks for sharing and yes that is one nice buck.

Congrats to this Hunting Club.
    Todays Youth - Tomorrows Hunters

Nice one. My dog club killed a nice one friday also...scored 131 as an 8. Maybe a little secondary rut has hit???
    Infamous Beard Buster

Thanks BP...that race lasted about 2 minutes...jump...run...BOOM!! that was the highlight of the day though as the running was pretty poor for most of the day.

That's enough to "highlight" the entire day! I'd be sitting back drinking me a cold one with the gun put up after whacking one like that! ROFLMAO

Thanks for letting me post this one for ya'!

3C,

That would be a heck of an 8 to score 131! I'd like to see that pic if you ever get a hold of it. Thanks.

Bubba

Great buck! Congrats

Great buck! Seems like a short chase though, glad you were ready. Most of the mature bucks I've seen killed on dog clubs run the dogs in circles, zig zags and so on before finally busting out. I have a friend that was driving the dogs and shot a really nice heavy 8 that was bedded down laying almost flat on the ground like he was hiding. Seems some will stay put and let all the does and younger deer take the heat for them. As a teenageer I remember driving dogs thru a cypress swamp only to see a buck in a deep spot with only his nose and antlers out of the water....I acted like I never saw him...figured for being that smart he earned a pass besides there is the law regarding deer in water.

While I do more still hunting now I never scoff at the chance of getting all shook up to the chorus of the pack on a hot track on a crisp, fall morning. Actually just returned from a trip hunting with friends in Summerville at their club. Heard some great chases but besides a few does the bucks eluded us, just something about being in the woods on a crisp morning with a heavy frost listening to the chorus of the pack on a hot track! Each year I try to make it back for a few weeks or like this year a 4 day weekend to hunt with friends, family and enjoy a quickly fading tradition. Sometime while in the woods waiting for the dogs to strike a fresh track it seems I can feel the history on me of hunters gone like Archiblad Ruthledge and others who once roamed the woods trying to cut off a deer up on its feet. Crazy thought I know! And each year on the flight back here I wonder if it may have been my last dog hunt. With the large tracts of land being developed, leased to people who have more money than most dog clubs, how big still hunting has become again and the bad rep a few dog hunters make for the rest of us I suppose it's only a matter of time. I hope not cause even when I'm in a tree I can hear the dogs of old strinking a hot track...

Sorry to ramble on, once again congrats on a great buck!
    "A man's trust is a valuable thing Button. You don't want to lose it for a handful of cards."

Thats a Big Boy there! Congrats!

Hunter,

Unfortunately this one didn't go to me or NCSUhunter. He was in the genral vacinity of where it was killed on his club and snapped a couple of camera shots of it when the guy rode by. The hunter was a guest on NCSU's club (why couldn't it have been me!!!! LOL cause my big ole a$$ was sitting in a stand still hunting that morning, that's why! ROFL) and all I can say is he got his $20 guest fee's worth that day!

I hope to get over there to the club with Kevin soon but haven't been able to make it yet. We'll try to trade off a dog hunt with him for a stand hunt on my club with me. I sure hope that I see one like that while I'm there, even that would make the trip worthwhile! Bringing him home on the tailgate would be even better though!

Bubba

By the way, loved your rambling about the woods on a cold fall morning and the sounds of the hounds. You're right, for those of us that were brought up that way, there ain't nothing like it.

Don't get me wrong, I love to bow hunt and rifle hunt a stand too, but the dog hunts bring something back that has been lost to memories of good ole days past! Can't wait to get back up there to try it again.

Bubba

Congrats on the nice buck and the good chase I love it!!!

Yep this one was a short chase. Most big bucks killed on our club are because they are getting the heck out of dodge. This guy was just in the perfect place. I was there a couple weeks ago and my dogs and a buddies dogs got after one in a cutover and ran him/her into some tall timber right on the back of the cutover. They stayed in that spot for almost an hour and a half and never made a bother. I layed my gun down and just sat down against a tree with no intentions of shooting what they were running unless he looked like the one above. They were flat out singing. One of the best outside races I've heard in a LONG time and the deer didn't just check out and leave. I'm going back up there tomorrow and after a little rain and a nice cold front we should have a good day.

Good luck Kevin! Get you one bigger than that! Tie one up for me too, you how big I like 'em! LOL

Bubba

Nice Buck!!!

Cody.JPG ready to go.jpg Release 1a.JPG Release 2a.jpg Release 3.jpg

Few more pictures from Gatlin this year

PART951322932061029.jpg PART951322927297796.jpg

There was also a really nice 9 pt killed last Friday that I'm hoping to get a picture of. These are really just the ones that were killed while I was there or had a chance to snap a picture of. There were alot of good bucks killed up there this year that I don't have pictures of.

Nothing better than a pack of hounds singing their song - "when the tailgate drops . . . "

Makes me think of when we still had the "Bull Head Deer Trial" every year after deer season went out and watching over 1,000 head of hounds turned loose on that monster powerline, going over the hill and when the 1st dog jumped by god it was on!!!. Now if the sound of that race did not make the hair on the back of you neck stand up, I think you might wanna have your ticker checked out! I'll always be a dog man till the day I die, it just kills me sometimes to sit back and think of how it used to be, but all that has changed and for some of us our kids & grandkids will never get to experience what some of us were fortunate & "blessed" enough to have been apart of. Makes me sad. scfox-aka ("ol' school deer dog man")