Camera Land, IncDeer Gro
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SC Wild Hog Task Force

Default SC Wild Hog Task Force

what a joke... If those guys had a clue they would know that we are fighting a losing battle and the current regulations we have in place only tie the hands of the very people that can help control the problem. SC regulations are so far behind. Georgia and Texas have allowed hog and predator hunting 24/7/365 any weapon on private property for a while now and are already in the process of legalizing suppressors for the hunting of these animals as well. SC better pull it's head out of it's azz before we are overrun like Texas and Georgia. Time to be proactive and not reactive

Right on Sniper. I wonder how much tax payer money is funding this Task Force? Change a rule or two and you won't need a Task Force.
    Dave
    "If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"
    "I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf!"

Making the transport of wild hogs illegal would help this state more than just about anything else.

doublelung...it is illegal.

"A person must now obtain an annual pig transport and release permit (Adobe PDF) from DNR for $50 before transporting and/or releasing a pig from a free roaming population. All pigs must also be tagged as prescribed on the permit with tags provided by the Department. A permitted pig must be released on the same tract on which it was captured or into a permitted pig enclosure utilized for hunting purposes. Under no circumstances may a live pig removed from the wild be transported through or into another county or be released in a county other than the county in which it was captured."

"A pig hunting enclosure owner must now obtain an annual pig enclosure permit (Adobe PDF) from DNR for $50 in order to release wild caught hogs into the enclosure. Hogs must be obtained from someone with a pig transport permit and must be tagged and captured in the county where the enclosure is located. Enclosure operators cannot obtain wild caught hogs from another county. The enclosure will be inspected by DNR personnel before a permit is issued in order to ensure any captured pig released into the enclosure is not likely to escape back into the wild."

Make the transport of wild hogs illegal, period. Then we will talk.

That will never happen. The licensed trapping and transport for legal sporting purposes is fine. DNR supported the law as it was passed.

Most of those wild caught hogs being sold to the pay to hunt places come from other places, and I think there is a black market for them...
    Dave
    "If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"

Where's my handcuffs boy. We are taking this one home to fatten him up.

Redbug that is allowed as long as it is done using the license and permits issued by DNR and as long as the following is complied with:
    "A person must now obtain an annual pig transport and release permit (Adobe PDF) from DNR for $50 before transporting and/or releasing a pig from a free roaming population. All pigs must also be tagged as prescribed on the permit with tags provided by the Department. A permitted pig must be released on the same tract on which it was captured or into a permitted pig enclosure utilized for hunting purposes. Under no circumstances may a live pig removed from the wild be transported through or into another county or be released in a county other than the county in which it was captured.
    A pig hunting enclosure owner must now obtain an annual pig enclosure permit (Adobe PDF) from DNR for $50 in order to release wild caught hogs into the enclosure. Hogs must be obtained from someone with a pig transport permit and must be tagged and captured in the county where the enclosure is located. Enclosure operators cannot obtain wild caught hogs from another county. The enclosure will be inspected by DNR personnel before a permit is issued in order to ensure any captured pig released into the enclosure is not likely to escape back into the wild."

If there is a black market in the transportation of feral hogs then it is because the enforcement and penalties are not tough enough.

Most of these places you pay to shoot hogs are not fenced in. The hogs free roam but get shot out and need to be "refilled" with replacements. The only other way is for the operators to raise their own and release them...which is a no no.
    Dave

Doublelung,I respect you and you are a very smart man & enjoy your posts, but on this one I think your just a little off. Not trying to ruffle any feathers but if you work with farmers & c the destruction they are causing to alot of peoples lively hood, I think you might be a little more receptive to what sniper said about Texas, 24/7/365(Night,trapping,etc.) If we don't do something know, in 5 years it will be the same thing the SCDNR is facing with the coyotes right now & are "planning" to allow the trapping of coyotes on some GMA lands because it is a "safe haven" for them & they're breeding like wildfire & the hogs are doing the exact same thing on those state lands. Again JMOP but the State/DNR/GA, somebody is going to have to take some sort of action(s) soon. Very Soon or it's going to hit us all in the pocket books.

Scfox
    So if hogs are such a problem why not make it where they have to be killed on sight? Why keep it legal for people to trap/catch them and "take them home to fatten them up". Texas doesn't want our hogs. Our hogs don't have any (or enough) European blood for operations to want them. If you have followed any of my posts on this subject you should know that I am all for 24/365 hunting of hogs.

One thing that I can't understand is why you can't harvest hogs during small game seasons on some of the worst infested GMAs in the state. On some, you are allowed to harvest them. Others, you can't. They should be shot on sight regardless of what GMA their found on.

Headdigger is it that the hogs are not allowed to be killed on sight or is it rather that the firearm restrictions make it such that most would not attempt to hunt the hogs on the WMAs unless it is a specific hog season? I thought that it was due to the caliber and shot size restrictions that caused the objections on the WMAs? Just asking for clarification

DLR, what is wrong with me catching a sow and penning her for a few days before I butcher the sow for the freezer? Nothing would be my answer.

Headdigger is it that the hogs are not allowed to be killed on sight or is it rather that the firearm restrictions make it such that most would not attempt to hunt the hogs on the WMAs unless it is a specific hog season? I thought that it was due to the caliber and shot size restrictions that caused the objections on the WMAs? Just asking for clarification

No. Some WMAs are closed for hogs after deer season, period. The bad thing is that most of these WMAs are the "big hog" WMAs. They are the nests.

DLR, what is wrong with me catching a sow and penning her for a few days before I butcher the sow for the freezer? Nothing would be my answer.

How many of those taken home to fatten up hogs are just taken to other areas and released? I try and try not to point out any certain groups, but do you think it's just a quinky dink that hogs all of a sudden appeared in areas of the upstate where the groups of hog doggers live?

Again, ya'll say hogs are such a problem, but don't want to admit that hunters trapping/catching them and then relocating them is one of the main (if not the main) reason for a lot of our hog problems.

DLR, I have never maintained that releasing hogs for hunting was not the cause of the problem. In fact I can say with all belief that the practice of releasing hogs to hunt is what started the mess we now have. But, that was in the day before any rules and regulations.

But, I fail to see the problem in catching a hog on my land and penning the hog on my land and then butchering the hog on my land. How is that a problem?

How is releasing hogs within a large fenced property a problem? Now, if the hogs are released on non-fenced properties then that is a problem.

I appreciate the information on the WMAs, I do not hunt WMA land so I was unsure of the regulations. I also disagree with the restrictions on WMAs and the firearm that may be used. Not many squirrel or turkey hunters will kill hogs with squirrel or turkey loads rather than buckshot. Why not allow them to have the buckshot with them in the event that they encounter a hog?

But, I fail to see the problem in catching a hog on my land and penning the hog on my land and then butchering the hog on my land. How is that a problem?

Do you practice this with deer? Do you catch them then taken them home to fatten them up? Why does this need to be done with a hog?

I appreciate the information on the WMAs, I do not hunt WMA land so I was unsure of the regulations. I also disagree with the restrictions on WMAs and the firearm that may be used. Not many squirrel or turkey hunters will kill hogs with squirrel or turkey loads rather than buckshot. Why not allow them to have the buckshot with them in the event that they encounter a hog?

I've asked that question time and time again, even to CR. The answer is always the same, "we don't want people shooting deer out of season". Which we all know is a BS answer b/c you can shoot a .22mag and it's more than enough to kill a deer.

Why would you release a hog onto the same tract you captured it on???? Their hog restrictions are ridiculous. Make no transport the rule and a stiff fine ($1,000's) for doing it. Hogs are spreading across the state in pickup trucks. They have even been released in NY Catskill Mts. NY put unlimited open season on them anyway, anytime, anyhow.

Stopping envasive species should be a top priority for our forest, lakes, and rivers.

The last time I talked with the local LEO, no one had even applied for transportation or pen permits. I hope that has changed since then.

The hog doggers need a permit for their training pens, as well as the pay to shoot operations.

The pens need to be inspected. I heard one around clarendon county had a hundred escape in one night.

Catdaddy, sounds to me as if no one is enforcing the law that was passed. There needs to be enforcement against anyone breaking the laws as passed and then we can see if we need anything more

Yep. I also heard they caught a NC man buying hogs and transporting them across the county line. He was planning on letting them go on NC Game lands behind his house. They set bond at $1,000 per hog.

Cat, I wonder if feral hog transportation across the state line is a violation of the federal Lacey Act. I imagine that would help get the attention of these law breakers. The $1,000 per hog is a good start as well

Quote Originally Posted by I Hunt View Post
    Cat, I wonder if feral hog transportation across the state line is a violation of the federal Lacey Act. I imagine that would help get the attention of these law breakers. The $1,000 per hog is a good start as well
    Don't know about the Lacey Act, but that hogger went to jail. He didn't have bond money for a ham sandwich, much less multiple hogs.

How many bay pens and pay to hunt operations do you think there are around the state. We have a pay to hunt operation ajascent to our property. They run dogs but they never run over on us so there must be a fence on their side. They are the epicenter of the hog problem in our area. I think they import the trophy hogs they kill as I never seen anything like that in the woods. By the way I think most of their clients think they are fair chase hunting free ranging hogs. They could do that as there are enough free range hogs around but not for the big ones I have seen pix posted of.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    ... We have a pay to hunt operation ajascent to our property. They run dogs but they never run over on us so there must be a fence on their side. They are the epicenter of the hog problem in our area. ...
    Iceman, not trying to argue but, how can the neighboring property be the epicenter of the hog problem in your area when you indicate that they have a fence? I could see that more if there was no fence.

I Hunt all I can tell you is there is some sorta a barrier between us. You can hear them turn the hog out and later return to release the dogs. They own or lease about 3000 acres which they also still hunt on. I doubt they have that amount of woods fenced. I really have no idea what they actually do on their property. The local farmers have said there were no hogs there untill the hunting operation opened so obviously some have escaped. Last 3-4 years the hogs are much worse so someone else is probably giving the hogs a boost. Hog are smart creatures given enough time they will figure a was out of a fence in area. My grandaddy kept hogs in 40 acre fields and it was a constant battle to keep them in (electric fenses work best which he didn't have). Funny thing they would come and go as they please as long as there was feed there, until you plugged the hole.

The guys down the road are nice guys and intentions good. I have heard there is another operation about 5-6 mile away that is releasing hogs to pay hunt weather in a pen or not I don't know. Many may speculate but the hogs keep coming.

Reducing the restrictions on hogs and coyotes will be nothing more than increasing recreation and will do nothing for reducing the population of either, imo. Transportation of hogs/coyotes is still inviting problems.
    "Knowledge is true opinion." ~ Plato

"We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive. "-Aldo Leopold

Trapping is the only to effectively reduce the feral hog population. A comprehensive trapping program will contain the hogs in the upstate but not eliminate them. The traditional area of infestation low country river swamps would be impossible to manage however they have been there for 200 years without significent expansion into the upland regions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast