Meadows EdgeUTS Web Solutions

Thread: Venison hash

Default Venison hash

Need some help. I want to make venison hash but dont have any recipes. Sure would like to hear some of you guys favorite recipes. Thanks in advance.

I'm gone try to help you out here the best I can. To make a good deer hash you're gone need a few things but the main thing is you're gonna need time. It always takes me and my buddy between 4 and 6 hours to make mine. First off get your deer meat ready by cutting it up into about 2 inch square pieces. Also helps to add a little pork such as a boston butt or cutt up a pack of pork chops. Then start peeling and cutting up onions (safety goggles help with this so it don't burn your eyes so bad). Then we put the meat in a big pot cover it with water put it on my gas cooker and go ahead and start it boiling. Keep it stirred and have some extra water ready cause you're gone have to add some from time to time. After its been boiling for about an hour throw in a few handfuls of the onions. Not all of them just 2 or 3 handfuls. This is for only one reason. The enzymes in the onions help the meat start to break up quicker. The meat gonna start to break up somewheres around the 3 to 4 hour mark. Now you gonna have to start adding a little water back in. Now go ahead and put in all the onions and just keep a cookin and stirring occasionally until its all shredded down fine and the onions are cooked down. Now start adding in your butter (I suggest a good brand such as CountryCrock or Land O Lakes). Now just start adding in salt, black pepper,and red pepper until you reach your desired taste. Then your hash gone be ready buddy! A couple other tips for ya is #1 don't over do it on the salt and seasonings. you can always add some to it but you can never take it back out so just add it a little at a time until its just right to your taste.#2 you gone need about 1/2 to 3/4's as much onions as you have meat, and #3 you can freeze what hash you don't eat and put it up for later. It'll last about a year to a year and a half in the freezer easily. Hope this helps you out buddy and the more times you make it the better you get at it.

Thanks Deepwoods sounds like it is going to be mighty fine. I will surely give it a try soon, wish I had read this morning as it would have been something to do on a rainy day under the old shed!

I do mine similar. Cook down meat in a pressure pot. Tear it up in a big frying pan or iron pot. Add about 3/4 as much onion as meat. Cover and cook down onions. Once onions are done, uncover, add a small amount of crisco,then salt, and pepper. Turn up the heat and brown meat, stirring on occasion

Call Kathy, not sure how she does it. But, it's awsome!!

bookmarking, need a good one my self