Meadows EdgeCamera Land, Inc

Thread: Strange Lake Greenwood Fish

Default Strange Lake Greenwood Fish

Had a good sunny weekend at lake greenwood and was having to spend most of the time doing dock/house renovations so didn't get to fish much but at one point I was out on the dock and saw this huge shape surfacing on the water. I got my throwing net and it took me a few tries, each time he went back down and resurfaced like 30 foot down farther down the bank, but I finally got em.

Turned out he was surfacing because he was sick and dying. Probably due to old age cause at this size this fish had to be quite old.

Been coming to lake greenwood for many years now and have never seen a fish like this, looks like a type of sucker fish.

So was just looking to find a proper identification of this huger sucker (no pun intended) and figure out if it can be caught on a regular fishing line or possibly eaten?

Here's a pic of it

Looks like a carp to me. Not known to be good eating.

I don't believe lake greenwood has carp in it, atleast I've never heard of it... Also arn't carp a bit wider and have whiskers?

Looks like a carp. If it is, they can be eaten, usually ground up into a paste and heavily spiced, mixed with onions and peppers and deep fried as balls (kinda like hush puppies)...basically edible but you have to hide the taste, lol.

--I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man (Oscar Wilde)--
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man (Oscar Wilde)

Thats a carp,,,what is that thing holding it?
    CaptRickHiott.com
    Charleston,SC

Google for Asian Grass Carp. That one sure looks like the images for one of those.

Carp.... and lake Greenwood has them....

I assume Greenwood still has carp used to catch them about 50 years ago down there

That creature is my cousin in his unnatural environment lol and I guess I stand corrected. Can't believe I've never caught or heard of people catching them there before. But if you have to dilute the meat that much to have it edible I don't think I'd ever be interested in cleaning one.

Best thing you can do with that carp is cut him up into small chunks, scale him, and use him for cut bait. It will catch the biggest cat around and is tough. Will withstand all the small cats chewing on it til a big one eats it.

thats is a carp alright ... o lord greenwood has tons of them things try goin into back of the coves when they are spawning .. you will tons of them . my dad use to catch all the time down there . i use to bowfish for them .

You may want to check up on the grass carp in Greenwood. I am pretty sure I recently read where it is illegal to take or harm grass carp, they are protected there. Think it was in reference to bowfishing. That's a common carp I believe pictured.
    Last edited by Spurhunter; 05-04-2012 at 11:08 AM.

back in the day carp were served as a delicacy at some of the finer hotels in new york,or so i've read,heard from some folks that marinating in buttermilk....and cutting out the (mud vein?) breading and fried those folks say they taste good. Ol' carp probably get a bad name from sucking food from the bottom....but dang catfish got that bad rap too,and man i love me some catfish! one thing is for true a big carp fights hard,may not be a "gamefish"but they tug the line and that is a great sportfish!.....just call them "bugle mouth bass"!
    "It don't make much sense
    That common sense
    Don't make no sense
    No more"....John Prine

Here's grass carp for ya caught with a 5 weight flyrod. Been a few years but I figure he went 25lbs though I had no scales. Had caught one a week before that went 19.9lbs and the one pictured was a bit bigger. That's big game fishing right there.
    Attachment 12395

Common carp. They do a lot of surfacing gulping air and wallowing around in the shallows this time of year. The carp have probably just spawned or will on this coming full moon

Wild carp are fun to catch on hook and line, good fight on light tackle.

hahahahahaaa

That is a common carpthat spawned out. greenwood has a good population of them and they are fun to catch on rod and reel.
    Greenwoos also been staocked with grass carp. and yea it is illegal to take , possess or transport grass carp. It'sfunny thjough all the pics these bowfishers are posting of them at Sportsman warehouse, that couldcome back to bite them if the state got wind of it.
    You can fish fro grass carp but youmust release them when you catch them and it has to be in the smaebody of water you cought it in , it is illegal to transport a live grasser to another lake with out paperwork showing you bought the fish from a state liscence breeder or seller. below are some examples of grass carp and common carp. the first is a grass carpI caught in Lake Cooley a few years back.
    the next is a common I caught at santee
    Hawgmaster
    Callin'em up and knockin'em down

Quote Originally Posted by hawgmaster View Post
    That is a common carpthat spawned out. greenwood has a good population of them and they are fun to catch on rod and reel.
    Greenwoos also been staocked with grass carp. and yea it is illegal to take , possess or transport grass carp. It'sfunny thjough all the pics these bowfishers are posting of them at Sportsman warehouse, that couldcome back to bite them if the state got wind of it.
    You can fish fro grass carp but youmust release them when you catch them and it has to be in the smaebody of water you cought it in , it is illegal to transport a live grasser to another lake with out paperwork showing you bought the fish from a state liscence breeder or seller. below are some examples of grass carp and common carp. the first is a grass carpI caught in Lake Cooley a few years back.
    the next is a common I caught at santee
    i was waiting for you to come in an settle this debate ... lol ! you the man when it comes to carp !!

yotes too.
    Addicted Coyote Hunter!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SCcoyotehunter View Post
    yotes too.
    yeah that to ... lol . Thanks Dave ... lol !!