Meadows EdgeCamera Land, Inc

Thread: Good deer attractant?!?!

Wink Good deer attractant?!?!

Hey everyone...

I am new to SC. I just moved up last week. I have always hunted in states where you are allowed to hunt over corn. If not hunting over corn I would usually get on a good game trail. Do you guys have any advice for what would be a good "attractant" to use other than the yellow gold? I have heard several suggestions to go with a salt lick or other mineral supplement. I am going out to scout this weekend and will probably put out some corn to help with the game camera photos, but I want to get something else out that I will be able to use all season long and keep em comin' in.....

So whats working for yall?!?!

I've always been a proponent of hunting deer based on seasonal habits, travel routes and forage available during different parts of the deer season - going to the deer vs. trying to bring the deer to me. Seems to work for me. Learn the natural food sources that deer prefer in your hunt area such as persimmons & muscadines early, mast crops when they are falling (especially the white oak varieties) and those oh so sweet honey locust pods when they're dropping later in the season. Strive to learn something new every time you walk in the woods. I've been doing this for over 35 years and I learn something new by being observant every time the good Lord blesses me with the ability to venture out. As deer are pressured, learn their escape routes. Try to hunt staging areas instead of directly in open areas - You'll be surprised at the # of deer (especially nice bucks) that hang back in these staging areas before they enter fields/open areas in the evenings. Most important, have fun & share your experiences with friends & the younger generation. Welcome to SC & best of luck in the upcoming season!

Well said sir. I have a lot of new ground to cover and a lot of new patterns to learn. I look forward to what the upcoming season has to offer and plan on putting a lot of hard man hours into scouting. Good luck to you as well....I will circle back if I come across anything cool!

Quote Originally Posted by normanator08 View Post
    Hey everyone...

I am new to SC. I just moved up last week. I have always hunted in states where you are allowed to hunt over corn. If not hunting over corn I would usually get on a good game trail. Do you guys have any advice for what would be a good "attractant" to use other than the yellow gold? I have heard several suggestions to go with a salt lick or other mineral supplement. I am going out to scout this weekend and will probably put out some corn to help with the game camera photos, but I want to get something else out that I will be able to use all season long and keep em comin' in.....

So whats working for yall?!?!
    Plant some peas two weeks before the season and WHAMO if you can't use corn. Then, broadcast some DER and repeat this process after the first frost. During that two month lag in killing...I've got nothing.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    God send death, watch it bleed, justified
    Manufactured lives born in hell

"World Painted Blood". SLAYER

Find the white oak acorns in the fall.
    "Knowledge is true opinion." ~ Plato

"We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive. "-Aldo Leopold

And when they are gone set up on the red oaks. Then water oaks and privet hedge if there's any where you hunt. Easy as 1, 2, 3 POW!

get the the MINERAL MIZER bag and hang it from a branch, the deer have dug fox holes under the bags ive hung

Quote Originally Posted by Spurhunter View Post
    And when they are gone set up on the red oaks. Then water oaks and privet hedge if there's any where you hunt. Easy as 1, 2, 3 POW!
    I concur with Spur! Hunt the acorns until they gone. Unless it's breeding time it's ALL ABOUT THE FOOD!! It may seem to us that deer are meandering through the woods but deer movement ALWAYS has a purpose! I don't care how Disney portrays it deer do not travel "willie nilly" through the woods smelling the "roses"! I killed one of my biggest bucks eating water oak acorns! 18 1/2 wide 175 lb 8 pt. Also keep your eyes open for any "late season hot spot's of feeding" I've got a spot that is covered with Kudzu and after the frost kills it back there are several open spots that some sort of rye type grass comes up and it seems that every deer in the area shows up. The deer absolutely "mow this stuff down". I saw 15 deer the last 2 days of season on this spot! Don't get locked into one stand area either, be flexible and willing to move because you can bet the deer will. Have fun and enjoy and enjoy the Lords creation . God bless