Camera Land, IncMeadows Edge

Thread: Mineral Blocks - How Long Do They Normally Last?

Default Mineral Blocks - How Long Do They Normally Last?

I haven't used mineral blocks in years and couldn't remember how long they would normally stay on the ground but I put out three in late March and the one in these photos has gone into the ground. The other two that I put out you can barely tell that they are used except where the water runs off the top of them.

I feel like the one shown here has had more activity because I had already been putting salt in this hole for the last couple of years so they were kind of used to this spot but I didn't think that it would dissolve this fast. Anyway, it sure seems to be getting some attention! LOL

Bubba

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0045.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	12726Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0004.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	12727Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0069.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	12728Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0033.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	12729

It depends on your soil type and how much rain you receive. Sandy soil will leech the minerals/salt out quicker while a heavier type soil will hold the mineral longer. Ive found that if you put too much deer will not use it as good until some of the minerals/salt leech out. Those 50lb blocks should last a while

Ive had me best luck putting out several blocks till the deer find an one that they really hit. Once they do Ill dig a small hole a pour a bag to trace minerals from Tractor Supply. About $9 for a 50lb bag and after a good rain they will be all in it. Or ill move the other blocks to the same location. Ive tried Whitetail institute and several other name brands. But the cheap trace minerals seem to get the best results for me. A clay area is best.
    On another note Ive poured the minerals over a stump and it leached into it with great results. They will tear up the stump to get at the mineral.

The block itself life depend primarily on how much rain it is exposed to. Once it disolves into the dirt the resulting hole will attract for some time. I usuallty select a spot with hardpan clay in a fairly dry area so rain doesn't wash it away. After I establish a lick I just refresh it annually with a new 50 pound block. I agree with ehansen the feed store stuff works as good as the exotic deer lick stuff for about 1/4 the cost.

Hey Bubba,

We typically replenish our mineral sites two or three times a year...the thinking (correct or not) is that it needs to be freshened about every three months. Keep in mind, we use DeerCain powder and sometimes the small white DeerCain blocks. It's placed in sandy soil along creeks and gets a lot of use from early spring to fall. These sites are probably 4 years old.

We've found that the molasses type blocks and the like will dissolve pretty quick if placed directly on the ground. But once dissolved, it'll last up to three months.

Also have a 50# salt block on a stump and that thing can go a whole year before it's gone. And gets heavy use.

We probably do somewhat overkill but we want the fawns to get the best start possible.

Good looking spot there!

It does seem the deer would rather eat the salt either from the soil or from a stump. To strong off the block itself, I think. The trace block taste terrible. I have seen them eat a stump down to the dirt.

Thanks for the comments guys. All three blocks are the same ones from Tractor Supply and were put out the same day. One is only 150 yds from this one and is on the same type of soil (hard pan and rocky), but this one disentigrated and the other two are still whole blocks. It seems to be doing the trick though so as Iceman said, it seems to be better after it is gone. All of the deer didn't even show up for about a month after I placed it here and it started melting down so I believe that they are liking it pretty good.

In one of the photos I attached, you can see a couple of deer bodies farther back in the pic and those are at a spot where I poured loose salt out over the past two years. Looks like they re-located that spot too and are back to hitting the salt along with the mineral block. I'm just glad to see them in my plot again before the season starts. At least I have a few does that I can pull from this season especially during bow season. Wish me luck!

Bubba