Deer GroUTS Web Solutions
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Black panther spotted!

Default Black panther spotted!

My brother got married this morning. I was talking to his new mother-in-law and just a few days ago she saw a Black panther carrying a rabbit in its mouth crossing Hwy 11 up by the Cliffs of Keowee. Still no picture but this is one story that I believe. Just wish we could get a picture to prove it to the skeptics.
    I Corinthians 10:31

"Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, Do all to the glory of GOD."

Interesting

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    "Donít design a broadhead for when everything goes right,
    design a broadhead for when everything goes wrong." ~ Dr. Ashby

i wish somebody would get a pic too.

Now you know there "ain't" no panthers running 'round in SC..........That's what the Biologist say anyway....It seems that with as many trail cameras that are in the woods somebody would get a pic!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 280 Man View Post
    It seems that with as many trail cameras that are in the woods somebody would get a pic!!!
    That argument is hard to defend for sure, but this one came from a preachers wife and she brought it up out of the blue.

"Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, Do all to the glory of GOD."

I'm like Mulder on The X Files,I want to believe. I too know several credible people who have said they saw what they thought was a cougar,mountain lion,puma,(what ever you want to call them) in the upstate,and I'm not gonna call someone a liar for seeing what they thought they saw.But you would think someone would have a picture on a trailcam,tracks,poop or a carcass of a road killed cat(heck,around here someone would have shot one and had their picture in the Pickens Sentinal by now) And why are they always black panthers? I think the closest "black cat' is native to South America.I could say ok to a Florida panther somehow migrating from 2 states away,but their always tan colored? Up until the early 1990s I'd never seen a coyote in my home state,until 2 years ago I'd never seen a armadillo in Pickens county,but I have.Whos to say...........?????????

I'd like to see one too but it's just hard to argue the fact that one has not shown up on a trail cam yet. People get pics of bears in areas they've never seen one before so why hasn't one showed up yet?

I am about 20 miles from where you are talking about going back up 11 towards Chesnee. There was a lady over here said she seen one about week and half ago. She is very trust worthy and would havee no reason to lie about it.

Im not debating that the "preachers" wife didn't see what she thought she saw cause Im not as brash to say there's NO cougars, pumas, or facsimilies thereof running round in SC! It's just hard for me to believe that nobody has ever got a "credible" picture, or as Savage has said, a road kill, tracks, or poop!! It's also, concerning that it's against the law to shoot one in SC also......MMMMMMMM..........And there's no "cats".....!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 280 Man View Post
    It's also, concerning that it's against the law to shoot one in SC also......MMMMMMMM..........And there's no "cats".....!!!!!!!!
    The rules & regs book also addresses not shooting elk in SC,can't say I've seen any wild elk roaming here either.LOL

I guess they are protecting the "stray" Florida panther or the "roaming" Cades Cove elk!!......

Yep! Lol

I don't think its fair to say that a black panther or mountain lion has never been caught on trail cam i know of 2 people who have got them on cam in starr iva and south anderson area as soon as they showed them to a gun shop or to the game wardens were very fast to say its a hoax pic from the mid-west and if they didn't drop it DNR would have to take action against them ive seen the pics any one who hasent seen his property and were the cam is could argue that its from up north but the FACT remains dnr has so many skeletons in the closet they can't remember what lie they told us last time !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Biggin-22 View Post
    I don't think its fair to say that a black panther or mountain lion has never been caught on trail cam i know of 2 people who have got them on cam in starr iva and south anderson area as soon as they showed them to a gun shop or to the game wardens were very fast to say its a hoax pic from the mid-west and if they didn't drop it DNR would have to take action against them ive seen the pics any one who hasent seen his property and were the cam is could argue that its from up north but the FACT remains dnr has so many skeletons in the closet they can't remember what lie they told us last time !!!!!!!
    What action would the DNR take against them? If I ever had pictures from my trailcam of a big cat the local tv news and every forum I'm a member of would get wallpapered with those pics.Do they still have the pictures?

as far as action goes I know they said they could charge him with endangering public heath and saftey and trying to insight a riot/ dnr are federal cops they are the most powerful cop in sc they answer to no one on state level if a warden wanted to hand a dead deer on your property and then come back later with help and arrest you for illigal deer hunting they could do that and know one could stop them . i think we have all seen on the news and word of mouth how cops like to over streach there rules and burn anyone to prove they can i call many of the cops we have around here " bullys with badges" we have some good ones but not enough to make up the bad ones out to make a name for them selfs as far as the pics go i know the cop took all the pics he had printed as well as the sd card but i dont know if he had any on his computer or not

as far as action goes I know they said they could charge him with endangering public heath and saftey and trying to insight a riot/ dnr are federal cops they are the most powerful cop in sc they answer to no one on state level if a warden wanted to hand a dead deer on your property and then come back later with help and arrest you for illigal deer hunting they could do that and know one could stop them . i think we have all seen on the news and word of mouth how cops like to over streach there rules and burn anyone to prove they can i call many of the cops we have around here " bullys with badges" we have some good ones but not enough to make up the bad ones out to make a name for them selfs as far as the pics go i know the cop took all the pics he had printed as well as the sd card but i dont know if he had any on his computer or not
    C'Mon 2 guys give the cops all the photos? They never downloaded to a computer off the sd card or didn't make duplicates of the printed photos? Hard to believe both guys didn't save one picture. Ask them again and make us believers. Also, I wouldn't be stating most cops are bad apples on a public forum. I find that hard to believe as well "...many of the cops we have around here bullys with badges".

What on earth are you trying to say here???......I guess you are entitled to your opinion but our DNR LEO's are not gestapo agents!!!!! I suggest you do a little more research on the DNR !!!

i said nothing incriminating and yes it is how i see it/ i see all around me friends and others who are the victim of a crime and cops do nothing most cops just seem slack to me i hope you can understand but i dont ask you to and as you said 280 man im entitled to my own opinion but when you see it more and more its hard for me not to draw a conclustion like that !

Make that comment in Aurora Colorado tonight or make your opinion known in Lower Manhattan.

are you a cop 12 gauge you seem to be taking this personally !!?!! i do not judge leos from other states i do not see the impact they make on a regular bases therfore i cant say anything but i do see things where i live and play therfore i can make my opinion !

Black panther threads always bring out the best points.

Black Pumas do not exist and never have. There isn't one picture or one case in the world of a black cougar/panther.

Black Jaguars can be found in places but not in the states.

Hunters in Colorado get pics of cougars all the time.....the SC panther has adapted I guess to not show up on Camera.

later catman.....coffee first.
    "Caution"
    Panther Crossing

If there is a black panther roaming the woods in SC it is an exotic pet.

A twanny color cat is a possiblity, but very rare.

Cats have small lungs, they hunt using small burst of speed to catch prey. They can't run fast for long distances. If there was a population of cats in SC, racoon dogs and deer dogs would tree cats.
    Last edited by SCbowhunter1000; 07-23-2012 at 06:25 AM.
    "Knowledge is true opinion." ~ Plato

"We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive. "-Aldo Leopold

So I can assume that everyone that has ever seen a Black Panther in SC is either dillusional or a liar either way I'm not buying that. Do I think it is possible to have a population of Black Panters in SC and NOone has picture proof? NO I think most people don't want to be labeled as crazy or someone who would photoshop a pic to substantiate their story. I believe it is possible that they exist here. Do I think it is likely Not sure. All I will say is this. until I see a pic I won't believe 100%, but i do think it is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post
    Black panther threads always bring out the best points.

Black Pumas do not exist and never have. There isn't one picture or one case in the world of a black cougar/panther.

Black Jaguars can be found in places but not in the states.
    Hunters in Colorado get pics of cougars all the time.....the SC panther has adapted I guess to not show up on Camera.

This

Tell me a purple one was spotted, and I may buy it, but they always have to be black.
    Only one color is proven to exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntnm4ck View Post
    So I can assume that everyone that has ever seen a Black Panther in SC is either dillusional or a liar either way I'm not buying that. Do I think it is possible to have a population of Black Panters in SC and NOone has picture proof? NO I think most people don't want to be labeled as crazy or someone who would photoshop a pic to substantiate their story. I believe it is possible that they exist here. Do I think it is likely Not sure. All I will say is this. until I see a pic I won't believe 100%, but i do think it is possible.
    99% of them end up being river otters and house cats. People are not intentially lying but they see things they can't identify and "claim back panther". 10 minutes on a credible webpage and they can disspell the myth on their own.

Been following along quietly here but I've noticed several things and I would like to bring up a few points. First off I have never seen a black panther either but I likewise can't rule them out. I like some of you know several folks who I count as credible people who say they've seen the animals. Now one thing I see as a possible problem here is that a lot of folks keep thinking because people call them black panthers that they are some form of cougar or jaguar. With the people I've talked to this is not the case. Most of the cats they have described seem to be smaller than a cougar or jaguar. More along the lines off say the size of a bobcat or a tad bigger,black,and with long tails. Folks just call em panthers or painters cause they don't know what else to call em. So you see black panther is really kind of a slang name they're throwing around for some type off black cat that really has no real name yet. Also I would like for some of you to read about the Kelas Cat that derived from a feral cat crossing with a Scottish Wildcat that eventually started a whole new species of solid black cat. The Scottish wildcat is about the size of our own American bobcat. Now I may be going out on a limb here but my wheels have been turning ever since I read about the Kelas cat and I been thinking what if that same thing could happen over here with a feral cat and a bobcat! Could possibly create the same type species but still carry the gene for the long tail from the feral cat and the black coloring. Sounds crazy I know but they thought it was crazy to until a hunter over there shot one. Some say this is far fetched but not really when you consider such things as the Coydog (basically a black coyote that comes from feral dog genes). Just a few things to think about. I like many of you also find it strange that it is protected and considered against the law to shoot something that they claim doesn't exist.

The law protecting panthers is for the rare instance of a panther from another state roaming into SC. SC passed a similar law for elk after a radio collar elk was tracked within one mile of the SC border.
    "Knowledge is true opinion." ~ Plato

"We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive. "-Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by SCbowhunter1000 View Post
    The law protecting panthers is for the rare instance of a panther from another state roaming into SC. SC passed a similar law for elk after a radio collar elk was tracked within one mile of the SC border.
    So we should be able to shoot the black ones that don't exist just not the real ones like the mountain lions or florida panthers since they claim there has never been one instance of them ever coming black. Okay good to know! Boys SCbowhunter1000 says we can just shoot the mythical black ones and they won't fine us!!! LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SCbowhunter1000 View Post

Cats have small lungs, they hunt using small burst of speed to catch prey. They can't run fast for long distances. If there was a population of cats in SC, racoon dogs and deer dogs would tree cats.
    Good point!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast