Meadows EdgeMeadows Edge
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Black panther spotted!

Thanks,,,
    later catman
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntnm4ck View Post
    They are under his profile. Click on his name and they will be there in his albums.
    "Caution"
    Panther Crossing

I am confused now, where did the black panthers originate?

A) A new species (cross between a feral cat and bobcat)

B) Migrated from South America jungles

C) Have been around for over 2 centuries

D) Exotic pets that escaped (or released) and now are breeding the wild. (the old circus train wreck theory).
    "Knowledge is true opinion." ~ Plato

"We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive. "-Aldo Leopold

i was goin to butt-out of this cause not in the mood to be called a liar or im nuts for believing .but im gettin back into this .

i just want to know what gives some of you guys the right to say people are crazy and callin them liars ??? huntn4mck is great friend of mine and so are bunch of the others ... if James says he saw something i for one believe him for 2 reasons he wouldnt make this up and i have talked to several people who have seen a big cat in the same area the past few years .

next thing it could be weird form of a cougar .. could be an escaped pet thats bred here , could be a jaugarundi ?? who knows ??

who knows whats out there ?? i dont and i know none of the nay sayers know whats out there ... the man upstairs has lots of surprises for us out there waiting to be found !!!

Quote Originally Posted by sonofdsouth72 View Post
    i was goin to butt-out of this cause not in the mood to be called a liar or im nuts for believing .but im gettin back into this .

i just want to know what gives some of you guys the right to say people are crazy and callin them liars ??? huntn4mck is great friend of mine and so are bunch of the others ... if James says he saw something i for one believe him for 2 reasons he wouldnt make this up and i have talked to several people who have seen a big cat in the same area the past few years .

next thing it could be weird form of a cougar .. could be an escaped pet thats bred here , could be a jaugarundi ?? who knows ??

who knows whats out there ?? i dont and i know none of the nay sayers know whats out there ... the man upstairs has lots of surprises for us out there waiting to be found !!!
    I haven't seen where anyone called anyone a liar? I am sure he thinks he did see one
    "Donít design a broadhead for when everything goes right,
    design a broadhead for when everything goes wrong." ~ Dr. Ashby

Liars? I suspect there has been sightings of panthers in SC that were real panthers. The exotic pet trade is huge. What I doubt due to simple probability (virtually impossible) is a breeding population of a black panthers in SC.
    99.9% of sightings are mistaken identity, the 0.1% is due to the freak that thought it would be cool to keep a jaguar as a pet, until they learned it is not so cute after all.
    "Knowledge is true opinion." ~ Plato

"We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive. "-Aldo Leopold

Back when I was a kid, there would be "rumors" of someone seeing a "black panther" some where in the county. I learned later in life that this was to keep people,mostly children, from roaming in the woods in certain areas where someone was making 'Boot leg liquior". Usually started by the bootlegger himself. He might have even been sampling his brew and seeing visions (this stuff was mind altering people said).

OK guys let me just put one thing to rest. I never said I saw one. I said and you can go back and reread the posts. I talked to a lady who claims she saw one, and that she was a credible person who I believe. Now since this thread has gone on as it has I have done some more reading and realize that "Panther" is a generic term and not a specific species. It refers to many big cats and not just one. This might be the root of most of the arguments here. Most people see something and out of ignorance call it a Panther when it might be a cougar, mountain lion, Jaguar or Leopard. Now I am not saying we have any of these here in South Carolina. I am saying that She believes she saw a big black cat of some kind cross Hwy 11 with a rabbit in its mouth. Big enough to make her Think it was a "Panther". I hope this helps out some.
    I Corinthians 10:31

"Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, Do all to the glory of GOD."

man this is a story that just ain't ever going away. even if some one kills one. about the only way that ever one will ever believe their real and out their in numbers is when theirs about 10 of the black fellows killed in one season all across the state. NOW THAT WOULD BE HARD TO PLAY DOWN/// my young brother did see one (((normal color)) years back up just off of hwy 11 it was guarding a deer that it had covered up . after seeing it from a good way off. law or no law .he went and got his rifle and walked up to the kill site. planning on proving once and for all that there was panthers out here?? well after getting up close --or what he said was really to close.. his mind told him . or you nut's??? get us the heck out of here. he said he had a bad feeling standing their gun or no gun.. --like maybe getting between a big cat and its meal was not a good id-era ??? on the other hand .i have a really good friend that has a home right off of hwy 11. HE'S also been up their for over 35 years. he was talking to me one day and some how or other i ended up asking him had he seen any -----normal panthers--.. as he not only works cleaning off the land with a bobcat.. he also hunts all winter long in those mountain's.. well he told me that he had not seen any ---normal panthers.. but a couple years back .while driving to work just off hwy 11 with 2 fellow workers. he had came around a hill when up a head about 100 yards .he saw something on the right hand side of the road. they could see that it was jet black. and big .he said-- I hollowed out to the other fellows .. bear. thinking it was a black bear...But as he closed the distance to it. He said ever one could see that it sure was not a bear at all. IT was a jet black cat --He called it a panther?? any way it was setting up just looking over the guard rail looking down the hill below at something or other. As they closed on it . It turned its head and looked right at them. Then just leaped right over the guard rail and was gone.. Man he said-- we was no more than 30 yards from it when it jumped over the guard rail. That cat was way bigger than any of my coon dogs ..So once again some other fellows have had a run in with something// I myself wounder just what they or ?? and how they got to be so many of them over so large a area..Its like the coyote- theirs millions of them out west. and before they showed up here at home.. I had never meet any one from out their or seen a picture of one out their --that was--BLACK--.now we have black coyote's all over the state. ---?????????
    Last edited by ADEERMAN; 07-29-2012 at 01:47 PM.

Here's a little history of some other sightings - with some scientific studies also. Check out # 4 in my album
    later catman
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenalethal View Post
    First and foremost I would like to say hello to the familiar names I see from the old SCDNR forums board. Secondly, to Surgem7, yer in my old backyard, and yes, sightings were reported to me from that area going back to the 80s and even further. Where the park is on that road I documented the remnants of a dog/coyote, approx 50+lbs (according to USF&W, as well as a known Clemson Naturalist), near 10ft up in a tree, 20 to 30 feet from the sandbox where my daughter was playing. (Got lots of photos so dont even think about calling me out like that ole Sasha N Abbey use to) Now the peculiar thing is, your the 1st I have heard of a tan cougar on that side of the Bay. Only other Tan one was reported to me from an Officer in good standing with the City Police, near Hobcaw/Arcadia on hwy 17 back in 06. Audobahn himself reported them along the Santee river in 1852, and Glen Hewit documented them here in 1779. Are they here.....yup. Will DNR admit it.....nope. I gave up on that years ago, so I no longer waste my time nor theirs. Good to see yall again, and thanks Catman fer getting me off my rump with this link you sent me. ....A man will sell his soul dearly should you leave him nowhere to run... General Frances Marion
    "Caution"
    Panther Crossing

Although SC is far from Michigan, this article has some interesting information... particulary where a cat was killed in Connecticut and originated in South Dakota... that's a long ways my friends.

Outdoor Wire - Monday, July 30, 2012

DNR Verifies Trail Camera Shot of Michigan Cougar
    A recent trail camera photo of a cougar in northern Marquette County has been verified by the Department of Natural Resources' cougar team.

The photo was taken at 2 a.m. on Wednesday, July 18 on private property. The landowner, who has asked to remain anonymous, met with DNR Wildlife Division staff this week to confirm the location where the photo was taken.

The photo is the 17th time the DNR has been able to verify the presence of cougars in the Upper Peninsula since 2008, coming only a month and a half after a previously confirmed photo from southern Marquette County.

"The growing body of evidence continues to indicate the presence of an unknown number of adult cougars in the Upper Peninsula," said DNR wildlife biologist Adam Bump, one of four DNR biologists specially trained to investigate cougar reports. "In the five years since we confirmed our first cougar report we have yet to receive any evidence of breeding activity, as all images and other physical evidence have been from adult cats."

To date, the DNR has confirmed eight separate sets of tracks, eight photos and one trail camera video from nine Upper Peninsula counties: Delta, Marquette, Schoolcraft, Mackinac, Chippewa, Ontonagon, Houghton, Keweenaw and Baraga.

"The increase in verified cougar sightings in recent years could be attributed to several factors, although the two most significant are probably the presence of more transient individual cougars moving east from established Western populations, and the growing number of trail cameras being used in the woods, making it easier to capture clear images of elusive cougars," Bump said. "We appreciate how cooperative the public has been in sending their reports and photos to the DNR for review. This cooperation allows us to effectively monitor cougars in the state."

Cougars, also known as mountain lions, were native to Michigan, but disappeared from the state in the early 1900s. The last confirmed wild cougar in Michigan prior to 2008 was an animal killed near Newberry in 1906.

Established cougar populations are found as close to Michigan as North and South Dakota, and transient cougars dispersing from these areas have been known to travel hundreds of miles in search of new territory. DNA evidence collected from a cougar hit and killed by a car in Connecticut in 2011 showed it had originated in South Dakota.

Although cougar sightings are regularly reported, verification is often difficult, due in part to a lack of physical evidence. Characteristic evidence of cougars include tracks - which are about three inches long by three and a half inches wide and typically show no claw marks - and suspicious kill sites, such as deer carcasses that are largely intact and buried with sticks and debris.

Protecting evidence such as tracks, scat and cached kills from the elements with a bucket or tarp greatly improves the chances that a reported sighting may be verified by DNR wildlife staff.

Wildlife biologists on the DNR's cougar team investigate evidence that is reported or submitted, and may visit sites to verify the location and collect additional information. The team then evaluates the collected information and decides whether the presence of cougars can be confirmed.

Reports of cougar tracks and other evidence should be made to a local DNR office or by submitting the sighting on the DNR's online reporting form at www.michigan.gov/cougars. If an emergency situation exists, call the department's 24-hour Report All Poaching line at 800-292-7800.

Cougars are classified as an endangered species in Michigan. It is unlawful to kill, harass or otherwise harm a cougar except in the immediate defense of human safety. To learn more about cougars and how to identify their tracks, go www.michigan.gov/cougars.

###

Photo caption: This trail camera photo of a cougar was taken at 2 a.m. on July 18 in northern Marquette County. The photo represents the 17th time the DNR has been able to verify the presence of cougars in the Upper Peninsula since 2008.
    The Michigan Department of Natural Resources is committed to the conservation, protection, management, use and enjoyment of the state's natural and cultural resources for current and future generations. For more information, go to www.michigan.gov/dnr.

***Still searching for the photo because the OutdoorWire didn't post it...

Here we go -

Last edited by 12Gauge; 07-30-2012 at 09:13 AM.

Good article, I had heard about the one that traveled from the Dakota's. It is strange how when they start showing up in Michigan again they also show up on trail cameras LOL

I was doing an 5S-audit in our chem-lab at work today when the Dept. coordinator came in. I asked her"didn't you have an encounter with a panther a few years back?"She looked at me and said,yes,But no one believes me.I asked her to tell me her story again.She stated one morning a few years back she had to come into work around 6 am to run some special samples.As she pulled off of Hwy 93 into the entrance of our plant,a Large,black cat bounded down a bank,crossed in front of her car and bounded up the other bank.She said she will never forget the way in bounced,very cat-like across the road.She also stated its tail was almost as long as its body.I asked her if she was sure it was black,not tan or tawny colored? Nope it was black.I've got a few more folks I want to "revisit" with whom have reported simular encounters.Most all the other encounters occurred up on Hwy 11 in northern Pickens county with the exception of hers and another(of site safety director) in or within a few miles of Norris. One connection that I've pondered is the powerlines.Alot of animals(deer,bear,hogs) use these manmade roadways as travel corridors to migrate and spread into areas they haven't been before.And there are powerlines spread all over the southeast.

"SC" cats must be camera shy

Just keep the batteries fresh and the sd cards ready!LOL Bears in lower Pickens county were camera shy......til last year!

At least the bears will give you a picture!! LOL

Like I said,you and I have been putting out trail cams for a few years now...but not until last year did we get pictures of a "native sc species" that ain't usually "native" to our hunting areas in lower Pickens county.Just saying if some large cats are truly out there,eventually one will show up on a camera.....or not.

Im not saying that there's not any "cats" out there nor am I calling anyone a liar!! The only thing with this is, people were saying that they had seen a bear, then pics showed up!! With the "cats", many sightings but no pics, or any that can be authenticated. Time will tell I suppose!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cougar.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	18957
    This was taken near Oakway SC, near the SC/Ga line, in the Blue Ridge foothills. That's all I know about. It appears to be a well fed critter.

Quote Originally Posted by TRTim View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cougar.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	18957
    This was taken near Oakway SC, near the SC/Ga line, in the Blue Ridge foothills. That's all I know about. It appears to be a well fed critter.
    I'ts BS like this that keeps this kinda fire stoked. It is a nice photo of P-22. (See Los Angeles Times August 14, 2012)

"Caution"
    Panther Crossing

Quote Originally Posted by catmantoo View Post
    There's no reason why a cougar from Florida couldn't make it's way to the carolinas. However the misrepresented photo above proves that trail cameras can catch them. At least in California anyway. There is a very interesting story about that cat. It supports the idea that there are cougars where you don't expect them. Keep up your work catman. I hope that one day you can show us undeniable proof that we have a population of cougars in S. C.

I saw a big cat once. i dont care who believes me. you can kiss me between the back pockets for all I care. take a picture of that, why dont ya.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    God send death, watch it bleed, justified
    Manufactured lives born in hell

"World Painted Blood". SLAYER

Quote Originally Posted by badfaulkner View Post
    I saw a big cat once. i dont care who believes me. you can kiss me between the back pockets for all I care. take a picture of that, why dont ya.
    I believe you bad. But you didn't see the one shown in the photo above....unless you saw it in Calfornia.

They see them in all the eastern states, they just don't show up on trail cameras......

Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post
    They see them in all the eastern states, they just don't show up on trail cameras......
    they might if you used something other than corn

Everyone's a skeptic until they have reason not to be. I once was too...
    http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sport037.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Jester896 View Post
    they might if you used something other than corn
    A jar of corn could be the reason for some of these sightings.

Quote Originally Posted by stlhunr View Post
    Everyone's a skeptic until they have reason not to be. I once was too...

I have seen one of the FL cats once crossing in front of me. I have seen another large cat one other time...certainly not as large as the first.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxwPe-GZ_2o

catman / Patrick McMillan / part 4 of 4 see all 4 videos on my channel.
    later catman
    "Caution"
    Panther Crossing

IF that cat pic was taken in California, then please let me apologize. That picture was sent to me by a friend and I took his word that it came from South Carolina. I have another picture of a panther that was taken in The Blue Ridge near the NC line, I know that to be valid. I reckon it would be called "BS" also so I'll keep it to myself.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast