Whitetails Unlimited TaxidermyMeadows Edge

Thread: Best attractants besides corn.

Default Best attractants besides corn.

I Just like hearing what others in the state use. I use Big 6 bagged minerals with good success.

I look for the areas of natural attractants, also planting fruit trees are a plus if you are managing a private piece of property
    Romans 1:20 "For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse for not knowing God"

Corn corn corn corn corn, cowpeas, and rape once the frost hits.

when the farmers pic the peanuts you can get a trailer load of leftovers or whatever they call it and the deer will hammer it.

Havn't had deer touch anything you can buy in a store

Has anybody said CORN yet!!!

A hot doe in heat !!!! If that won't attract them, nothing will

Acorns,with White oak acorns being the preferred choice when available.

I agree with the natural stuff, crabapples early in the year along with pear trees then white oaks, but my favorite is any funnel getting to a food source!

I have tried pears and apples, since I have the trees at my place. But believe it or not, the deer and hogs won't touch them. Like the others have said...it has to be something already in their habitat. Corn is the best or something planted. I have some salt wallows they come into. I replenish them with minerals and salt 2 or 3 times a year.
    Dave
    "If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"
    "I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf!"

Quote Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
    A hot doe in heat !!!! If that won't attract them, nothing will
    X2... if you're hunting a buck wait til mid October and start using some doe pee. You'll see bucks that would never give you a chance over the corn...

Im from Charlotte.....But live in the woods

Peaches have worked for me before. But i would cut them up in quarters.

Quote Originally Posted by mudfishmusic View Post
    X2... if you're hunting a buck wait til mid October and start using some doe pee. You'll see bucks that would never give you a chance over the corn...
    Mudfish how do you use your pee, I get one or two bucks a year interested but my best results are by using a drag rag and covering some ground with it. Then hanging it up within range, BUT DON"T PUT IT RIGHT ON YOUR CORN the does don't take to it very much from what I've seen, and you need the does as they are your best attractant

I

Pour the pee into a chalkline (like carpenters use) and stretch it out 1 foot off the ground, 25 yards in front of your stand, you have to play the wind a bit differently. If your stand is facing north you want an east or west wind and stretch the line from north to south. The string will soak up the pee. This is for an all day sit as you really don't want to wind up the stinky line or waste the pee.

Quote Originally Posted by LowCountryFL View Post
    Mudfish how do you use your pee, I get one or two bucks a year interested but my best results are by using a drag rag and covering some ground with it. Then hanging it up within range, BUT DON"T PUT IT RIGHT ON YOUR CORN the does don't take to it very much from what I've seen, and you need the does as they are your best attractant

I
    I'd say you're right... The does don't particulary like it but I've found it just seems to make them a little nervous and if nothing else spooks them they get over it in short order. I also believe that during the rut, does that are not ready to be bred sometimes can be pretty nervous about active bucks and thus anything that brings them around. Maybe it's fear of unwanted attention or something...

I typically have wicks hanging about 6'-7' off the ground at all of my stands placed at about 50 yds away in each shooting lane and at 75 yd intervals around larger openings. I'll start using them in mid-October... It's funny but I actually listen to the radio traffic reports out of Columbia. Usually you'll start hearing about a lot of collisions with deer on the morning drive... Once that happens I have doe pee and a grunt call in the truck at all times. I use trail cams to keep up with what areas are holding the best bucks. I'm a bit of a fringe hunter but I'm in the woods no less than every other day from August til January so I figure the deer on my cams are very accustomed to my scent. Aside from using scent killing soap I don't concern myself to much with the impact of my presence... They know I'm around... When I enter the stand I know where the wicks are and I go quickly to each and dip it in the doe pee... Then I climb into the stand and once settled in I give a quick not to aggressive series of calls on the grunt. Having the wicks up in the air means that the deer can smell them but they can't quite locate them... Having them scattered around my view as I do means that no matter which way the wind blows an approaching buck gets hit in the face with the sweet stuff... I've killed quite a few bucks this way and called in tons more that I've passed on... I've had as many as 5 different bucks in an hour come in to within a 50yd radius. I've watched them sneak in searching, seen them ravaging trees, and even on one occasion fighting with each other. I even had a nice 3.5 year old 8pt come in just before shooting light one morning and walk two complete circles around me before bedding down less than 10yds from the base of my 10' ladder stand for about an hour and a half. I had to wait for him to stand up and shot him under the handrail... As a matter of fact the biggest buck I ever killed was 206lb bruiser that came strait in ready to fight on the evening of October 16th within 15 minutes of my making my first call... He walked right across my trail with his hair standing on end, back arched and legs as stiff as boards... I saw him go down and even had a smaller buck come out and watch him expire... That young buck stood around until I stood up and shued him off...
    Last edited by mudfishmusic; 08-07-2012 at 05:28 PM.

I'll have to try it like that this year, thanks

V-8 juice.

Mud - you're right about the traffic reports. I'll quickly start using up vacation days when those reports become consistent.
    Natural bait, wind awareness and knowing your land are key.

I have a couple of oak trees around the house some white but mostly red oaks. I go out and rake them up after they drop and put them out on a few spots that I plan on hunting around that time. Have had mixed results. I have used both the trophy rock and now the bio rock. The deer love them. Looks like a hog wollow near the sight. I have even had bucks make rubs right near the areas I have put them out as if claiming that spot and those rocks as their own personel property. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Redbug View Post
    I have tried pears and apples, since I have the trees at my place. But believe it or not, the deer and hogs won't touch them. Like the others have said...it has to be something already in their habitat. Corn is the best or something planted. I have some salt wallows they come into. I replenish them with minerals and salt 2 or 3 times a year.
    The deer love pears at my place. I take the extras from my yard and put them out and they clean em up. I just put 4 buckets out this past weekend. I have noticed that they like them better when they are in a wooded areas. I put some out in the field and they didn't bother them. So might be something to making it look more natural for them.
    Attached Images Attached Images