Camera Land, IncAdvantage Driving Services LLC

Thread: What Could This Be On a Deer - Disease or What?

Default What Could This Be On a Deer - Disease or What?

Checked my cameras a week ago but just got the chance this morning to look at some pics. I have hundreds of photos of some small bucks and does but this is the first that I've see of this deer and cannot figure out what is all over his back and sides. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0159.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	13884Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0162.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	13883

Bubba

Sorry, Those are not the two photos that I intended to attach. Hopefully these two are the correct ones.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0159.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	13885Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0162.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	13886

These two!

Bubba

Fibromas. A type of benign skin tumor. Fairly common in whitetailed deer.
    ~~Hunting outside the box~~

I killed a buck a few years back with these mole like looking things all over him. People say they are harmless and does not affect the meat. I didn't take a chance. I threw the whole deer away. Just take it out the herd if you see it and feed the buzzards
    "Take your time, don't live too fast, troubles will come and they will pass" Lynyrd Skynyrd- Simple Man

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    Fibromas. A type of benign skin tumor. Fairly common in whitetailed deer.
    Zephyr has it right.....
    "Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the Lord, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon"

Isaiah 55:7

Thanks. I checked some more photos and these are only on his one side. I thought that might be the case but wasn't sure. If I see him, he will be taken out just so it doesn't get passed along to any other deer (maybe that's not possible but as CF said, I'm not taking any chances. Thanks again.

Bubba

Had a doe on camera with one of those. Best part was it was located right behind the sholder. The mole marked the spot she would get shot if she ever showed. She never did!

also known as deer warts.

Doesn't affect the meat or hurt the deer.

The buck I shot the other day had two small ones next to it eye

Fibromas can grow into the muscle tissue but that is rare.......
    "Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the Lord, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon"

Isaiah 55:7

If I were given the chance to harvest those, that's what I would do & and let the coyotes have them. No need in taking a chance in eating the meat or possibly letting those deer breed or get bred no matter how much research has been done or information out there on this condition. There is alot more deer out there to be harvested & plenty of time to take some. JMO

The normal meat is ok to eat.
    ~~Hunting outside the box~~

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    also known as deer warts.

Doesn't affect the meat or hurt the deer.

Yea, we had some trail cam pics of a few deer last year that were covered up with them, buddy of mine is close to Charles Ruth and emailed them to him for us

We were thinking some kind of tumor but he said it was a common wart, would not harm anything and meat would be ok to eat and they eventually fall off

Just me but I would not eat it but that is just me

Those are the new aiming points they are installing on deer now.

The higher ones on the back are for tree stands over 30 feet up.

Neat huh?

I got pictures of a 6 point with warts on it. Didn't get picture of the right side. He had a couple on his neck and 2 on his front leg and three on his side. From what I've read, they say the watrs come off with the hide and the meat is good. I don't want any of the meat though. One story I read about it said insect bites cause it and they can get as big as 8" across. I'm on the fence about whether to take it out of the herd or just let it walk. Been leaning a little more lately about letting him walk.

You can eat the meat and I've done it several times.

There are not bad effect from eating the meat, as a matter of fact ilik to eet da meeeet wunce a weaak frum dem deerszes. Da iz gud to eaaaaat emz yuuuum yuumsz.

Quote Originally Posted by scfoxhunter04 View Post
    If I were given the chance to harvest those, that's what I would do & and let the coyotes have them. No need in taking a chance in eating the meat or possibly letting those deer breed or get bred no matter how much research has been done or information out there on this condition. There is alot more deer out there to be harvested & plenty of time to take some. JMO
    ^^^^^This^^^^^^^
    "Take your time, don't live too fast, troubles will come and they will pass" Lynyrd Skynyrd- Simple Man