Meadows EdgeAdvantage Driving Services LLC
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 180 grain or 150?

Default 180 grain or 150?

shot a big doe with my 300 win mag last night. got her right behind the shoulder with a 180 grain ballistic silvertip winchester bullet and she ran 100 yards! almost didnt find her.....no blood.

would a 150 grain expand more? i do not like to track deer, looking for maximun stopping power.

any suggestions for next time i buy ammo?

Just had a discussion about this earlier in another thread. Someone said those ballistic tips need to hit something to really do what they're supposed to. But you don't need a 180 to kill deer. I'd go smaller. 180s mess up too much meat.

Quote Originally Posted by bcastin View Post
    Just had a discussion about this earlier in another thread. Someone said those ballistic tips need to hit something to really do what they're supposed to. But you don't need a 180 to kill deer. I'd go smaller. 180s mess up too much meat.
    actually, a 180 grain will have more penetration and less expansion, less expansion means less deflagration and therefore less damage. the 180s zip thru the deer withought really expanding. this is why my doe ran off, i was just wondering if anyone has shot 150s out of a 300 win mag?

I will give you my theory but to answer your question I split the difference and shoot 165 grain in 300 mag

Read an article YEARS ago by Jim Carmichael and his theory made a lot of sense, the 30 caliber has a wide range of uses and the heavier bullets (180 grain and up) are constructed for heavier boned animals such as elk/bears where as
    the 150-165 grain 30 caliber bullets he felt were better for thin skin game such as whitetail deer

I load for 308 and 300 win mag so the 165 grain bullets work for both in my case

Simple- hope this helps. You are shooting a bullet meant for long range/ big game. It also leaves a coating in your barrell so unless you are shooting them regularly, it can be sporatic. In SC, drop to a 150 grain, but clean your rifle barrell before you re sight with the 150 grain. That's all you need.

All I'm saying is I used to shoot deer with 180s in a 30-06. I quit and use 150s now. And I don't have to cut the shoulders off and throw them in the gut bucket anymore. You'll figure it out.

I shoot 150 grains out of my 30-06 and stop em dead to rights where they stand almost every shot. Of course this is with a neck shot or high in the shoulder area. Its not what your shooting but where your hitting that makes the difference. Heck 80 grain 243 bullets drop deer every day with the right shot placement.
    "Whack 'em, stack 'em and pack 'em."

Ted Nugent, rock star.

If you want a deer to drop in it's tracks then shoot them in the correct place. A lung shot will not bring a deer down in it's tracks, I don't care if you are shooting a 500 win mag. A high shoulder shot will fold their legs under them so if that's what you want, shoot them high in the shoulder. Just curious, why are you shooting a 300 win mag for SC deer anyway? Do you think that it gives you an advantage over a smaller caliber or do you just shoot it b/c you want to?

I would get myself a good 165 gr controlled expansion bullet, Barnes, Nosler partiton etc,.....I would also learn how to track deer.......They all "ain't" gonna drop dead right there....
    "Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the Lord, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon"

Isaiah 55:7

I shoot 180's mainly because I have 2 boxes left over from an elk hunt a few years ago. But when they are gone I will go to 165's.

For deer a 150 grain is better. A lung shot will very seldom drop a deer in it's tracks no matter how big a gun you shoot, and a 100 yard run after being shot is not uncommon. As has been said, high shoulder shot if you want them to drop...
    http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sport037.gif

Ballistic tips are great for shooting accuracy and lousy for doing damage.

A 150 grain bullet is all you need to kill any whitetail deer in North America. The ballistics are better with a 150 grain, so why would you want to shoot a 180 grain bullet?

I have seen more lousy exit wounds, bloodtrails or the lack thereof from ballistic tips..... I do not like them and will never endorse them. With that being said, pin the shoulders high and you know exactly where he is, he's not moving an inch.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleLungRage View Post
    If you want a deer to drop in it's tracks then shoot them in the correct place. A lung shot will not bring a deer down in it's tracks, I don't care if you are shooting a 500 win mag. A high shoulder shot will fold their legs under them so if that's what you want, shoot them high in the shoulder. Just curious, why are you shooting a 300 win mag for SC deer anyway? Do you think that it gives you an advantage over a smaller caliber or do you just shoot it b/c you want to?
    it's by far my most accurat rifle, i can shoot out to 300 yards with it, a few of the stands at my club can present shots that far away....

Quote Originally Posted by Wyliecat View Post

A 150 grain bullet is all you need to kill any whitetail deer in North America. The ballistics are better with a 150 grain, so why would you want to shoot a 180 grain bullet?
    they are the most accurate out of my gun, i tried a bunch of different one when i got it and these were the best.

Quote Originally Posted by ccleroy View Post
    I have seen more lousy exit wounds, bloodtrails or the lack thereof from ballistic tips..... I do not like them and will never endorse them. With that being said, pin the shoulders high and you know exactly where he is, he's not moving an inch.
    i will try high in the shoulder, i've always shot behind the shoulder to not waste any meat..... thank you

I shoot a 150 in .308, high shoulder drops them everytime... including this morning, he almost make a full u-turn before he dropped still right where I shot him...

Shoot whatever shoots best our of your gun, just shoot em in the head, neck, high shoulder or backbone and they'll fall. I shoot a .270 w/130 gr ballistic tips. Killed two deer this week, zero yards traveled after both shots. One in the neck, the other high shoulder.

I know alot you guys don't like Ballistic Tips but Ive shot them for years in my .280 and killed a wagon load of deer and have never had a minutes problem with them and never tracked a deer over 50-75 yds that I can remember........Im not sure that I would shoot them in a 300 mag simply because of the stress that this caliber puts on a bullet.......Im shooting 120 gr Barnes TTSX this year simply because I wanted to try them....
    "Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the Lord, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon"

Isaiah 55:7

Quote Originally Posted by Wyliecat View Post
    I got a logbook full of 270 130 gr Ballistic Tip kills that will dispute your statement friend! A whitetail deer is a thin-skinned,lite boned animal,and BallisticTips have worked very well for me over the years....just gotta put it(or any bullet for that matter)in the right spot.Hunted GMA and still do some,I always wanted the deer dead right there,shoulder shots and BallisticTips have been my ticket.

150 gr and buy a bullet that expands well and expends its energy. You can have the 300 win mag, lol, I have no use for a mule.
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

Proud Student of Hattaway School of Turkey Hunting!

"Every second you are in contact with a mature gobbler, events and circumstances take place, any one of which could have a direct bearing of you losing the game." - The Old Pro Turkey Hunter by Gene Nunnery

"I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow." Ben Rogers Lee

I shoot a .300 Win Mag also. I shoot the Remington Core Lokt, started with 180 and it went thru every deer with awesome blood trails and they usually didnt run far maybe 50 yards. Then I wanted to try the 150 and noticed I didnt get any pass thru's, didnt need them thou because every deer was dropping in the tracks or within 10 yrds, had only 1 do the 50 yard dash I knew it was a good shot but no blood trail I knew the direction he went and had heard the crash so it was a easy retrieve without one. I have a few 150's left after they have done there job I will try to find something in between.
    I agree with other posts that the .300 is a bit much for Carolina in most places but mine was a gift from my father, got a 30/30 over the off season and a box of 150 core lokt that im gonna try, have no doubt that this will be plenty to have me draggin after the shot.

I've shot a 300 for years. I tried 150's out of it but didn't like the performance of them(core lokt which is a great bullet) I shoot 165 grain Hornady BTSP's and am very happy with performance, if the deer doesn't drop(due to my error) I have a great blood trail and very good damage. I shot 3 bucks this weekend two dropped in tracks(high shoulder) and one I shot further back(was 290 yards) he ran 30 yards and piled up with blenty of blood for me to follow.

I would NEVER shoot a tipped bullet out of this gun UNLESS it is a barnes style bullet. Hornady GMX etc as the BTSP's lose enough of their weight anyway and I know what a rapid expansion bullet will do on bone with a "magnum" rifle....FAIL

I shoot the 130 BT in my .270 and have shot the BT in my .308 (I don't hunt with it often because it is too heavy). I have killed several deer with the .270 and one with the .308, not one ran more than a few feet and the little doe I killed with the .308 completely flipped over and flopped around for a few seconds and was done.
    Al
    Avid Hunter and fisherman...
    Soon to be a top predator....
    Love my Labs....

RIP Sully...

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleLungRage View Post
    WOW, I agree. That's a lot of gun for down here. I own a 300 Win. Mag./180 gr. Federal ammo and only used it three years ago on a Moose hunt in Northern Vermont. Down here I find the 150 gr. 30-06 works just fine.

good advise from everyone. quite a number of knowledgeable hunters on this subject.

When I rifle hunted only I shot ballistic tips from my 243 and stopped using them because of how much meat I had to trim away. Went to a soft point and have been happy. I know an exit wound is nice for tracking but I like a bullet that uses all its energy in the target and is found under the skin on the other side

Why wouldn't he shoot a .300 down here for deer? Excellent choice for long range shooting common in the fields on the LC.

Quote Originally Posted by frankb View Post
    . I know an exit wound is nice for tracking but I like a bullet that uses all its energy in the target and is found under the skin on the other side
    This is my thinking as well.I want all that bullet's energy to be released inside the animal I'm shooting /not just passing thru it. Don't need a blood trail if the shock of that bullets already dropped him right there. I've read several different hunting writers over the years,Craig Boddington prefers a pass thru for instance,and thats an individuals personal choice related to where to shoot and what caliber/bullet construction to use,but I alway have agreed with what J.Wayne Fears stated about releasing the energy into the animal,and its always worked for me.(when I do my part on the bullet placement anyways.)

For me I use one of two rounds based off of the stand I am hunting, either Winchester XP3 or Silvertip 150’s. Now as far as the rifle my son uses a Remington 270 and me a Remington 30 06. Once I started back hunting I tried several rounds from different manufactures. I tried the Core Lokt I still have 2 full boxes for each of the weapons. I had burn through both times I used them and that was on high shoulder shots in excess of 150 yard shots. The deer went down but never with 100 yard from where they were shot. If I am in my field or power line stand where I am taking shots in excess of 200 yards I use the Winchester silver tip. For the swamp stands where I am shouting 100 up to 200 yards I use XP3. Regardless of where I am at I always shot for a high shoulder shot with the goal of hitting above the bone where the soft cartilage is. Out of over 50 deer both bucks and does over the last 3 seasons I have only hade to search for two and those were using the Core Lokt. Last season I made a shot at almost 500 yards on the power line using the silvertip I misjudged and didn't allow for movement and hit just behind the shoulder but still at the same level that buck was massive and I had to take the shot he went down within 10 yards from the point of impact. Now my father uses a Winchester Model 70 300 Winmag. It is allot of rifle and in the beginning he tried 180 and 165, after showing him the results I was having he is also using the Winchester XP3 and Silvertip in the same manner I am. I am the one that did the original sighting on this rifle both times the scope was changed and this rifle is sweet. My 30 06 Remington kicks twice as hard as his Winchester. In fact it kicks about like shooting 2 3/4 00 buckshot in a pump my Remington is like shooting 3 1/2 000 buck shot. The action is great and you can chamber this rifle just using the pinky. I am not taking sides on this just stating from my experience this is what has worked best for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast