Camera Land, IncAdvantage Driving Services LLC

Thread: Scent control-Home Remedies?

Default Scent control-Home Remedies?

Does anyone have any "home remedies" for scent control? I have a friend that told me he washes with ivory soap, washes hair with baking soda before hunting. I tried it, to see for myself. Can't really say it either way it has or hasn't worked. I wash my clothes in baking soda and let them air dry on the line a couple of days before the hunt. I do spray down with scent-a-way, but that's about it. Just wondering what you may do as far as "home remedy" for scent control.

Knew a friend that placed his hunting clother inside a large plastic bag with branches off a juniper or cedar tree. Let it stand a few days before hunting to let the scent absorb into the clothes. I never got that serious thou.

I use baking soda also. And no scent detergent

I wash mine with baking soda and let air dry and that's about it. I think for the second time since I don't know when, I bought a bottle of the Scent Away liquid soap to shower with when I went down to hunt SC last week. But I used regular Coast soap when I showered before going hunting last Wed. morning before I went down to SC and had 6 deer come out on me, 3 of them at less than 10 yds and they never winded me at all. I don't normally do anything remotely different other than making sure my hunting clothes are scent free and not stinking them up before I go. Pretty much it for me!

Bubba

What's your take on the hunter that changes oil in his car, rolls around on the oily floor ,no shower and goes out and shoots a big deer at 20 yards??

Quote Originally Posted by cdhunt View Post
    What's your take on the hunter that changes oil in his car, rolls around on the oily floor ,no shower and goes out and shoots a big deer at 20 yards??
    I guess that deer never learned to fear the deadly petroleum predator and maybe deer that have been hit by cars rarely live to teach others to associate exhaust fumes with a danger...

Deer was upwind.

Quote Originally Posted by back_40 View Post
    Deer was upwind.
    Back 40 is the winner
    I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen; not because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.

What's insane is people who think the Goverment removing rights from responsible people will somehow keep them safe.

Build a small wood fire and stand in the smoke a few minutes. It worked for the indians. Thats where I learned about it from studying their methods.

I take a bath in Ivory soap as well and use unscented deodorant......Take leaves,dirt and pine needles or cedar and rub it on my clothes......If I hunt around farms I step in older piles of manure, stay out of the "soupy" ones though....lol
    "Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the Lord, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon"

Isaiah 55:7

Rub cedar into my clothes,and on trees near where I'm hunting,break limbs and rub my boot soles on them.I also dig up leaves and dirt from under oak trees(the original fresh earth scent!),rub it into my clothing and especially on my hat(my hats get funky cause I sweat like a horse).
    "Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage:be not afraid,neither be thou dismayed:for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest." Joshua 1:9

Deer thought it was a logger or maybe a farmer

Take some branches of whatever trees are in your area and stuff like pine cones and acorns. Put it in a big pot with water and boil it. The water left over is your "cover-scent". Saw a guy do this one time don't know if it works.
    Unorthodox hunter

When I was a kid my father taught me to take a few fresh green leaves from a sweet gum and rub them together and rub on clothes and boots. Also take the mashed and smashed "clump" and set it at foot of treestand or in the stand. Has a rather pleasant smell to it.... Been doing it ever since, unless I couldn't find a sweet gum. As far as the results go, been caught a couple of times, mainly in whipping and unpredictable wind conditions. I also use the store bought "cover" scent as well.
    "If yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough!!"