Meadows EdgeUTS Web Solutions

Thread: TC Venture vs Ruger American

Default TC Venture vs Ruger American

I've narrowed my choices down to these two rifles, and waiting on my gun broker to see how soon he can get either in a left hand bolt. Have any of you shot either of these two? I've considered the Savage (I have an older model 110 LH) and the Marlin. I don't care much for the Remingtons that I have seen lately. Just got my dad a remington 770 and don't even desire to shoot it.

If I can't get either of these soon, I'm going to do the unthinkable and buy a Mossberg I saw at Dicks. It's the 299 one they have on sale from time to time. I don't know why, but there's something I admire about the little gun. Even crazier, I didn't know Mossberg made rifles.

If I seem to be rambling, it's because of the meds I'm taking. The room is spinning, and the computer screen is in 3D.

Haven't shot either one,I just like the way the American feels in my hands and the way it shoulders over the T/C.......I have shot a Marlin and its a fine bolt-action rifle..............and last but not least,I have used my daughter's lil 308 Mossberg ATR to dispatch several whitetails.....a fine budget deer rifle!
    "Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage:be not afraid,neither be thou dismayed:for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest." Joshua 1:9

I have only handled the TC Venture... I have always been a fan of Thompson Center, so I really like the venture also... However Ruger makes amazing guns, and I doubt you would be disapointed in the American

I don't think you would be disappointed with either of these rifles........Buy what you like the best....
    "Heaven, and there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life"

Rev. 21:27

I love both of my Savages. The Browning A-Bolt feels great. For the money, the marlin blew me away on how it felt It felt as good as the browning. I personally did not care for the Ruger American. Have not shot the Mossberg but have heard great things about it and not much negitative. If it was me I would buy them in the order of Savage, Marlin, Mossberg, and then Ruger. Good luck and keep us up to date. What caliber are you thinking on getting?
    Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10

Proud Student of Hattaway School of Turkey Hunting!

"Every second you are in contact with a mature gobbler, events and circumstances take place, any one of which could have a direct bearing of you losing the game." - The Old Pro Turkey Hunter by Gene Nunnery

243. I'm looking to have a caliber that my little boy (7) and my nephew (12) will enjoy shooting. I think that's what drew me to the Mossberg. I actually thought it was a youth model. It is short, has a good amount of weight, and points easily. If I knew what the trigger was like, I would have probably bought it.

Marlin XL7 is an awesome gun with a sweet trigger. Its like best of the major brands combined into one rifle.

I recently bought the Savage Trophy Hunter in .243 winchester. It comes with a Nikon Prostaff 3-9 x 40 mm scope. It was a nice scope but had the BDC which I do not care for. I sold that scope and put a weaver on it. If it would have had the regular crosshair I would have kept it in a heart beat. I think Dick's has had them on sale the past few weeks for around $500. Has a 22" barrel and I got it for my 12 yr old nephew and 13 yr old cousin to shoot when they come with me. I tote it as well. Shooting the 80 grain barnes TTSX. Has the accutrigger. It is a sweet little rifle.
    Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10

Proud Student of Hattaway School of Turkey Hunting!

"Every second you are in contact with a mature gobbler, events and circumstances take place, any one of which could have a direct bearing of you losing the game." - The Old Pro Turkey Hunter by Gene Nunnery

Beagle if you like the Mossberg get it, if the trigger is too heavy most guns smiths do not charge that much for a trigger job, should be less than $100.00 if memory serves me correctly.....
    Al
    Avid Hunter and fisherman...
    Soon to be a top predator....
    Love my Labs....

RIP Sully...

My daughter's Mossberg is an older gun prior to their "refined " trigger that so many rifles feature nowadays,maybe not as smooth as my Remington,but no real complaints about it.
    "Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage:be not afraid,neither be thou dismayed:for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest." Joshua 1:9

I had a chance to handle the Ruger and the TC side-by-side today. They are pretty evenly matched in my opinion. The Ruger seems to point a little easier, so it gets a notch above the TC. I'm still waiting to hear from my gun guy. If I can't get either in a left hand, I'll get either the Ruger or the Mossberg.

For what its worth, For those that know where Gradys Great Outdoors is located, I received their Christmas sale paper and they have the Ruger American rifle, (calibers, 243, 308, 270, 30.06) for 319, next Friday, Nov 23 only.....They also have the T/C Venture with a Meopta, 3x9x42 MeoPro scope for 749, Friday, Nov 23 only.(calibers, 243, 308, 270, 30.06, 7mm mag, and 300 mag
    "Heaven, and there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life"

Sounds like a good sale 280. Wish they were closer to me. I haven't found either rifle in a left hand yet. I did find a left hand 308 & 7-08 in a Savage Model 11 with the Nikon scope for 509. I wasn't too impressed with the Savage. It wasn't anything wrong, just not what I wanted. If/when they go on sale, I will pick-up one or the other.

I did get the Mossberg in a 243 to carry me through the season. Too my surprise, it shoots very well. I shot it about 10 times yesterday and didn't find but 1 fault. The safety is kinda loud; however, that might smooth itself out as it gets used. I swapped the cheap Barska (3x9x40) scope out with another cheap Barska (3x12x56 IR) I had laying around. The trigger is great! Of course, it's going to take some getting used to. This is the first gun that I have owned with the accu-trigger style.

It shoots like a dream. I don't think my son will have any problems shooting it at all in a year or two. It has very little recoil, and not much muzzle blast. I can't wait to try it on game, but for now; I think it was $300.00 well spent. It may even earn itself a nickname and a real scope.

Here is a photo of the rifle and it's first four shots. Shots 1 & 2 were with no adjustments. Shots 3 & 4 were after making a few changes. I'll go back a finish zero it in today. I think I'll do a 200 yard zero on it.

That rifle looks like its a good shooter....Hope you get to break it in right....

+1 on what 280 Man said...Field & Stream just did a write up on 5 rifles; Howa 1500, Ruger American (best shooter), T/C Venture, Vanguard Series 2 and a Marlin I believe. Some of the groups posted were really fantastic. I'm always partial to the Savage 110s (pre-Accutrigger), but I may have to give that Ruger American a look.

Quote Originally Posted by tidmarshsmith5 View Post
    +1 on what 280 Man said...Field & Stream just did a write up on 5 rifles; Howa 1500, Ruger American (best shooter), T/C Venture, Vanguard Series 2 and a Marlin I believe. Some of the groups posted were really fantastic. I'm always partial to the Savage 110s (pre-Accutrigger), but I may have to give that Ruger American a look.
    Is this article online anywhere???? WOuld like to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by tidmarshsmith5 View Post
    Read that article tonite at my parent's house-the Marlin got the best reviews.Was a little dissapointed the Mossberg wasn't mention,been well pleased with my daughter's 308,hope the 243 serves you well BeagleRun!

Searched online for it; couldn't find anything. It's the December-January Issue of F&S.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	legendgraphic-400x226.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	14958I have the Ruger American in 30.06, topped with a 3x9 Nikon Prostaff Scope and love it!

I forgot about this thread. I did get the Ruger in a 308. So now I have it and the Mossberg. I like them both. I'm waiting on my other Monarch scope to come in & I'm going to mount it on the ruger.

I was in Wally World and it was on sale. I couldn't pass it up. Hope to break them both in next season.

Dean, I see they got your name fixed, welcome to our addiction...
    Al
    Love my Labs....

RIP Sully...

Hey Cat- I am not sure if they have it fixed or not. I requested the administrator close/remove the Dean Clement account and leave *TopC* for me to drive. I see you are in Summerville. I was the Commander of the Guard of the Marines at the Weapon Station when I was at Marine Barracks Charleston. It was great duty! I lived at the Naval Base on Marine Avenue. Oh well, the memories make life grand. Have a good finish to your season.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Clement View Post
    Hey Cat- I am not sure if they have it fixed or not. I requested the administrator close/remove the Dean Clement account and leave *TopC* for me to drive. I see you are in Summerville. I was the Commander of the Guard of the Marines at the Weapon Station when I was at Marine Barracks Charleston. It was great duty! I lived at the Naval Base on Marine Avenue. Oh well, the memories make life grand. Have a good finish to your season.
    I was stationed here and fell in love with the state so I never left, have lived here since '87...
    Al
    Love my Labs....

RIP Sully...

I was at the Marine Barracks from 80-82 or thereabout. It was great duty and the closest we were ever stationed to home.