Meadows EdgeAdvantage Driving Services LLC
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Free hunting days?

Quote Originally Posted by tiger95 View Post
    Really think the 2 "free" hunt days should be some other time than Youth day deer hunt.
    I agree.
    "Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage:be not afraid,neither be thou dismayed:for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest." Joshua 1:9

News Center 4 just aired a story about the "free days' and had a local GW clarify that DEER cannot be hunted on these two dates,except for youths on the youth hunt date.
    "Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage:be not afraid,neither be thou dismayed:for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest." Joshua 1:9

Its funny that when hunting is mentioned, the assumption is deer hunting.......

Sure, deer hunting is popular but I don't think that the DNR looks at deer hunting as an "entry level" activity into the sport of hunting. I would have to say that small game should be the first step.....rabbit, squirrel, dove ect...
    You can have your own opinion but you can't make up your own facts !

Quote Originally Posted by NP Archery View Post
    Its funny that when hunting is mentioned, the assumption is deer hunting.......

Sure, deer hunting is popular but I don't think that the DNR looks at deer hunting as an "entry level" activity into the sport of hunting. I would have to say that small game should be the first step.....rabbit, squirrel, dove ect...
    I've never shot a rabbit, squirrel, or dove...

SCDNR & MEDIA THROW IT OUT THERE. FREE HUNTING JAN. 4TH & 5TH. (Caution) read the small print.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
    I've never shot a rabbit, squirrel, or dove...
    What!!!!!......You kidding, right?????........You owe it to yourself to go.....Nothing like fried rabbit, rabbit dumplings, squirrel dumplings......Good grief Ive got to go kill a cottontail or two....I'm hungry....
    "Heaven, and there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life"

Rev. 21:27

Quote Originally Posted by sandhill View Post
    reminds me of DNRs 1st attempt to get help with hogs, you can only hunt at night with BB guns and a small hardhat light... as if anyone will even show up for this

u mean I get to shoot squirrels for free on WMA??? most can do that without ever leaving their yard

they may get a few visitors but like with the coyote restrictions, they need to get real IMHO... offer some free days during a season that will actually bring people out, like deer or turkey season

shows they are hurting for support, not sure what this will produce

JMHO of course
    I agree sandhill. Open up WMA for hogs and yokes after deer season. That should spark more interest than a one free day for small game.

Quote Originally Posted by vermontlad View Post
    I agree sandhill. Open up WMA for hogs and yokes after deer season. That should spark more interest than a one free day for small game.
    One thing about opening WMA's up for hunting all the time or longer, means other non-hunting users cannot enjoy the WMA. I think the bicycle riders and bird watchers would complain. But then...I don't think they are required to man up and buy the WMA stamp like hunters do, but they still have a say...(maybe I am wrong).
    Dave
    "If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"
    "I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf!"

Well.....you can complain about it OR you can take advantage of the free hunting days and carry someone hunting....

The free hunting days are not about YOU or ME hunting for a couple of extra days. We are already out there....It's about getting a seldom, a never or a non- hunter into the outdoors. I think some fail to realize this.....
    You can have your own opinion but you can't make up your own facts !

Preach it NP

Well.....you can complain about it OR you can take advantage of the free hunting days and carry someone hunting....

The free hunting days are not about YOU or ME hunting for a couple of extra days. We are already out there....It's about getting a seldom, a never or a non- hunter into the outdoors. I think some fail to realize this.....
    NP, very well stated. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by I Hunt View Post
    NP, very well stated. Thank you
    x2 NP!

I agree but let that one day person hunt deer. Kids can hunt the following day. Hunting hogs & yokes on WMA after deer season is a whole different issue.

My son has hunted with me since he was 11 (19 now). My daughter is 17 and has never shown even a little interest in hunting; and it is not because I haven't asked. She has never fired anything but a .22. With the unique opportunity of a free youth day that she can participate in without the commitment of a license she is excited to go on that day. She is solidly a nonhunter, but may just catch the fever by going on a free youth day. Who knows? It will be a memory for a lifetime for us either way it turns out.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; And what does the LORD require of you But to do justice, to love kindness, And to walk humbly with your God?

Quote Originally Posted by hunterClint View Post
    My son has hunted with me since he was 11 (19 now). My daughter is 17 and has never shown even a little interest in hunting; and it is not because I haven't asked. She has never fired anything but a .22. With the unique opportunity of a free youth day that she can participate in without the commitment of a license she is excited to go on that day. She is solidly a nonhunter, but may just catch the fever by going on a free youth day. Who knows? It will be a memory for a lifetime for us either way it turns out.
    Hope you both have a great time.......I remember taking my daughter, she's too old now......Fun memories.....
    "Heaven, and there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life"

Rev. 21:27

Thanks 280. I have no illusions that my daughter will become a hardcore hunter, but I do think it is going to be good for her to see firsthand what it is like and stranger things have happened.

My daughter and I do share many really good camping and fishing stories, just not hunting.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; And what does the LORD require of you But to do justice, to love kindness, And to walk humbly with your God?

Hope you two both have a great time,maybe she'll get the fever!

DNR updated their news release:

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/news/yr2012/dec27/dec27_free.html

This is not 2 free deer hunting days.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12