Meadows EdgeUTS Web Solutions

Thread: old deer trails

Default old deer trails

I've been watching this one deer trail for nearly ten years now, because I'm always seeing deer come out of or go through it.

The deer coming through are not 10 yrs old, ages range from yearlings to maybe 4/5 yrs old. Turkeys also always come out of this trail.

Exactly why do deer travel the same path year after year and generation after generation?

I know where both ends lead, nothing striking on the path or at either end.

For the most part it's about a 4 mile circle that weaves deep into some woods and then cuts out on the edge of neighborhoods and back into thick woods.

I'm curious why they do this. I figure they are following previous scents but some have been shot over the years at points in this path of theirs too, you would think they'd find another route.

Sat up in an area that over sees part of it this morning and saw 7 deer and 11 turkeys come through, never pulled the trigger because I wanted to see where they decided to go today. They went as they always do...

I don't think I'll ever pull the trigger at that spot, give them a free pass on a trail that was there before them so they stay the course. I'll head them off at another point if I decide to pull the trigger again before the years end.

The other thing I thought unusual was that the larger deer were in the front, with the smallest pulling up the rear. Usually at my stands the smaller deer come out first, once they seem safe the larger will come out.

You will learn a lot just watching the wild game. It is also a great time user.

As you have said, "it's just a trail that has been learned over the yrs"....Evidently it affords them preceived protection, with wind and cover no matter if a few have been shot over the yrs from the trail....Ive got a trail that Ive killed atleast one deer off of every yrs for the past several yrs....Doesn't bother them at all.....I believe human scent is the biggest factor of "boogering" deer in an area
    "Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the Lord, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon"

Isaiah 55:7

Deer are like humans. They travel the path of least resistance until forced not too. The young has followed their elders and learned from them. Things will change fast if pressured or some major geographical change is made.
    I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen; not because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.

What's insane is people who think the Goverment removing rights from responsible people will somehow keep them safe.

last month I watched a show that had Dr. James Kroll on it and they were talking about this very thing. They did a study in a high fenced area. what they did was allowed deer to stay in this area for a few years and took them out. They didn't put anymore deer in the area for 3 years, no deer at all. Then they brought some deer in and right away the deer started to use the same trails and the bucks rubbed the same trees and scraped in the same places? I don't remember the acreage of the area but it was large, they said that they are not sure how the deer know where to go and how to get around and area that they have never seen. If you think about it yearling bucks leave there area of birth (most of them) and where ever they end up they to know what trails to use as if they have been there for ever? I have seen that here at my house, each year yearlings show up but they use the same pattern as the deer before them. If you get time look up his web site he has a ton of info on the whitetail, he has studied them for over 40 years now.
    Merry Christmas to all

I know in the mountains they utilize terrain features and such as saddles,pinchpoints and funnels.There is always a purpose to their route of travel,alot of time just looking at topo map or aero-view will make it clearer for you. Theres a spot on some gma landdown in McCormick where a trail winds around the edge of a thicket.This trail is cut into the ground from all the years of travel,always see deer using it,year in and year out.I've been hunting it since the early 90s.
    "Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage:be not afraid,neither be thou dismayed:for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest." Joshua 1:9

I think of these as highways and they do as stated above follow paths of least resistance.Deer use large easily identifiable trees as landmarks and many of these paths will go from one to another.

I have seen them use the same trail after all the trees were logged out and the brush piles were burned a year later.
    I watching a herd of does crossing approximately 20 acres of wide open blackened soil and they never strayed off the old trail path.
    Things that make ya think.
    Merry Christamas!
    Vegetarian: Native American word for "Poor Hunter"