Camera Land, IncDeer Gro

Thread: Buckshot in turkey choke?

Default Buckshot in turkey choke?

Hey guys, I never tried it, but would it hurt to shoot buckshot out of an extra full turkey choke? Not sure of the diameter of the choke, but it does say turkey extra full. Thanks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

I shoot buckshot threw mine and have never seen a differance when I shot turkey shot threw it. Mine is a Remington choke in a 1187 Rem. gun. I have shot this combination for about 4 years now. Winchester 00 buck, shoots best and I use Winchester in the black box turkey load. 40 yards these are an awesome combination.

I never had any problems, but I switched to a kicks buck kicker.

I shot #2 buck thru a 20 ga.Undertaker Turkey choke tube(my daughter's Mossberg) and got surprisingly good patterns @25 yards with no ill effect to the choke or gun.Also shot Foster-type slugs thru it and there was not detrimental effect in performance or accuracy.Killed a 5 pt with the buckshot/yote with the slug.
    "Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage:be not afraid,neither be thou dismayed:for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest." Joshua 1:9

My Remington 870 is my go to for everything. I have killed ducks, deer, turkey, rabbits, squirrel, crows, fox's etc etc. Slugs, steel shot and buck shot with no ill effects to the choke. They advise against shoothing steel shot unless you buy the $80 choke for steel but my $24 choke has held up no matter what i have shot through it. Same with slugs and buck shot

Follow the manf's suggested usage of the choke in question........If you have questions about the choke look it up.....The one I use is Rem xtra full and you can shoot buckshot through it....
    "Heaven, and there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life"

Rev. 21:27

Ok the choke was in the gun when we got it, so I ain't sure exactly what diameter it is as it don't say on the side of the choke. We went ahead and ordered a modified choke too anyway, n will use the extra full for small shot mostly. I appreciate the advice guys. For those of ya that remember I bought my wife the Savage 720 for Christmas; we took it to Darlington Gun works and the guy told us that gun had more wrong with it than it was worth, so we traded it n got er an 870.

The 870 is the only gun I have that I will never sell or trade. Everything thing else is for speacial occasions. There is nothing I have hunted for that old bessie hasn't taken care of. All though I fel you should have as many weapons as your income alows my choice if I had only one is the 870. Just my opinion.

Hi tek. If you are looking for the tightest choke possible most of the time your the tighter the choke isnt the tighter the pattern. Try every choke you can and see which one is the tightest.

I doubt it would hurt the xtra full turkey choke because your arnt putting a high volume of buckshot through the choke.

Quote Originally Posted by ScLowCountry View Post
    Hi tek. If you are looking for the tightest choke possible most of the time your the tighter the choke isnt the tighter the pattern. Try every choke you can and see which one is the tightest.

Good advice! ......I bought a new 11-87 several yrs back for the Bomb Plant Hunt.After talking to several about which choke would give me the best pattern,some said full,others modified(I actually called Remington and they said Modified) I shot 00 & 000 thru both mod.&full,the modified gave me the best pattern.Good luck!
    "Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage:be not afraid,neither be thou dismayed:for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest." Joshua 1:9

Ive always found that buckshot shoots the best for me out of a Mod. choke as well....
    "Heaven, and there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life"

Rev. 21:27

Actually I just wondered if it'd damage the gun or anything. The extra full choke came in that gun so we just decided to order a mod choke for her gun. Mine already had a mod choke.

The primos jellyhead is great for buckshot!

You don't want the turkey choke??

What I actually found (what I think ) is that shooting buckshot thru my turkey chokes, is that they are too constrictive and I believe it mashes the pellets and makes a good many of them "flyers". If I shoot it thru a modified choke they foo much better. I believe the softer lead pellets get flat spots on them and don't fly as true when they do. This is just what I've found with combinations I've tried.
    RIP Dakota 2/1/13
    NBK

Yeah I reckon we'll use the turkey choke for Small shots and mod choke for buckshot... Thanks for the input gentlemen.

I've had the same question before; most research I did was with modified recommended for buckshot. My brother uses a full...for me, I've patterned both and have best results with modified, but out of my 870 I get great patterns with the Remington full choke that came with it. I get less concentration in a center of shot with the full than the modified but both would do the job. Have wondered if the turkey tubes would work well, but most just cause too much deformation of the pellets according to the ones that have patterned with them...then I worry about unnecessary pressures on the barrel, etc...