Meadows EdgeMeadows Edge
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of bow is recommended for a complete beginner?

Default What kind of bow is recommended for a complete beginner?

The last time I shot a bow I must have been 5 or 6 and the arrow had a suction cup instead of a broadhead.....
    I've been a gun hunter my whole life and now that I live in upstate SC I've been motivated to start archery hunting since the season starts 25 days earlier. I bought a crossbow last year which I used last season and will use this season as well. I'm thinking that I want to try it with a real bow next year.

Any advice on what to start with?
    I'm 6'5 and 300 lbs if that has any bearing on bow selection

Stick with the crossbow. My .02 cents.

They are a lot of good beginner packages out there. Best thing is go to a bow shop so you can be measured for a correct fit. You don't want a bow that don't fit. Bad habits will be hard to break! Don't know where you are from but NP archery on here may could point you in the right direction. It's a whole nother ballgame in your hunt when ya have to draw the bow to shoot, not just aim and pull the trigger. Shoot all the bows you can to find what fits you the best! I like PSE but all make good bows. At your height you will probably need one with a longer drawlength.

Quote Originally Posted by vermontlad View Post
    Stick with the crossbow. My .02 cents.
    You know, I was going to but a buddy of mine talked me into considering a regular bow.
    He told me he crossbow hunted for a long time and finally tried a real bow.
    While he thinks a crossbow is a better tool for killing a deer he says that a regular bow is much more enjoyable.

Thoughts?

If I was you I'd find a local bow shop and determine what your drawlength is( 6'5" folks usually have long arms),then go from there....depending on how much money your wanting to invest,you could start out with a good used bow setup for a few hundred bucks,or go all in with a new top of the line bow.....good luck!
    "Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage:be not afraid,neither be thou dismayed:for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest." Joshua 1:9

I agree with the other folks. Go to a shop and let someone set you up. I had bicep surgery 4 years ago and I had to go to a crossbow, I enjoyed it but I am glad to be back to a compound bow. I did have to drop down to about 56 lbs. on the draw weight, I was at 70 before. But 56 kills them pretty good. I did kill a big doe in Texas with my crossbow at 51 yards. I would have never tried that with my compound bow. Good Luck.
    “Within every man is a kid who should never forget where he came from”
    Coach C

Quote Originally Posted by andre A View Post
    You know, I was going to but a buddy of mine talked me into considering a regular bow.
    He told me he crossbow hunted for a long time and finally tried a real bow.
    While he thinks a crossbow is a better tool for killing a deer he says that a regular bow is much more enjoyable.

Thoughts?
    Hey man, I was only pulling your leg. I think its neat on your part to try something different and I'm all for that. In fact, this year I'll deer hunt (rotating weapons) using pump 30-06, bolt 7mm-08, lever .308 and auto 30-06.

6'5" my azz. You look at least 7' tall. Lol.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    God send death, watch it bleed, justified
    Manufactured lives born in hell

"World Painted Blood". SLAYER

Quote Originally Posted by badfaulkner View Post
    6'5" my azz. You look at least 7' tall. Lol.
    6'5 is barefoot.....lol

I would highly recommend you to not take up a cross bow, unless you really don't have the time to learn how to shoot a compound. Compounds are much more rewarding in my honest opinion. I would check out archery talk and look for some affordable beginner bows out there. Good luck in your search

Quote Originally Posted by Remingtonkilla View Post
    I would highly recommend you to not take up a cross bow, unless you really don't have the time to learn how to shoot a compound. Compounds are much more rewarding in my honest opinion. I would check out archery talk and look for some affordable beginner bows out there. Good luck in your search
    While I respect your opinion, Why do you make such a statement.... Have you ever owned a crossbow, hunted with one??.....Crossbow hunters and hunting are the fastest growing demographic of our sport.....
    "For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears open unto their prayers: But the face of the Lord is against them that do evil"

1 Peter 3:12

I haven't hunted with a crossbow nor do i intend to but I have talked to several people who used them in the past. All but one has switched to a compound as they also say its more enjoyable. The only one who didn't switch was a friends father who had shoulder issues and couldn't draw back a compound. To each his own, not trying to stir anything up 280. Was just giving my opinion on the subject

Quote Originally Posted by Remingtonkilla View Post
    I haven't hunted with a crossbow nor do i intend to but I have talked to several people who used them in the past. All but one has switched to a compound as they also say its more enjoyable. The only one who didn't switch was a friends father who had shoulder issues and couldn't draw back a compound. To each his own, not trying to stir anything up 280. Was just giving my opinion on the subject
    Nor am I......It really all depends on whom you talk with to whether a regular bow is is more enjoyable or not......I've got both, and as far as "ease of shooting" the nod would go to a regular bow because they are "faster" to "load" and shoot... but both are "enjoyable" to shoot......We've all been guilty of this, but to base our "use" or "non use" of a certain product off of someone elses prejudice will cause us to miss out on some good things......BUT as you said, To each their own though.....Good grace this season my friend....
    "For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears open unto their prayers: But the face of the Lord is against them that do evil"

1 Peter 3:12

Quote Originally Posted by 280 Man View Post
    Nor am I......It really all depends on whom you talk with to whether a regular bow is is more enjoyable or not......I've got both, and as far as "ease of shooting" the nod would go to a regular bow because they are "faster" to "load" and shoot... but both are "enjoyable" to shoot......We've all been guilty of this, but to base our "use" or "non use" of a certain product off of someone elses prejudice will cause us to miss out on some good things......BUT as you said, To each their own though.....Good grace this season my friend....
    Hogwash. No brainer that it's easier to hold and shoot a crossbow when the shot comes, much like a rifle. At the shot you simply have to concentrate on holdover and squeezing the trigger not the combination of aligning sights, proper anchor, relax muscles, hold proper form for upper body, can't use a rest, and still get all lined up on target while doing it with a bow either compound or traditional.

Palmetto Slam Founder

Established April 2012

Not that my opinion matters...I have shot compounds over 25 years, but last year took up traditional. I wish I would have years ago. IMHO, shooting trad is way more enjoyable than shooting a compound. I tried a crossbow a few years ago that my friend bought. Personally, I hated it but I don't begrudge anyone who likes shooting them. I have to say I do believe they are a heck of a lot easier to shoot though.

My hat is off to you if you can get it done with traditional. Now that's "bowhunting".

Palmetto Slam Founder

Established April 2012

Find a bow shop and let them help find a good fit for you. You don't have to spend a mint, if you enjoy it you can always upgrade later. I got back into compounds in 2002, with a new $200.00 Reflex bow setup. Best thing I've done for hunting, adds a challenge that was not there before.

The best advice I can give is to practice, practice, practice. Then practice from whatever platform you are going to hunt from, Have fun!

I wouldn't buy a low end bow .. Spend the money on a nice set up and if u don like it sell it. Shoot several brands a d see what u like . Elite answer for me . Draw length 30.5.

As stated above the most important thing you need to do is to properly measure your DL. After that it's just shooting different types of bows to see which you like. You can buy new or used. It's pretty hard to find a bad bow these days. What I suggest to everyone (if money is an issue) is to get on sites like Ebay and ArcheryTalk and buy used or a new previous year bow.

I know I'm not really answering the question as intended and I'm not going to pretend to offer advise because I'm no where near as qualified as these other guys but I am curious, if you already moved from modern firearms to the most technically advanced, fastest, easiest to use qualifying primitive weapon and that's not challenging enough then have you considered traditional stick and string? If you want basic, simple equipment and a real challenge then what would top instinctive shooting with traditional archery equipment?

The more I follow sites like this the more I consider deer hunting with the bow. I've recently been toying with the idea of trying to kill one from the ground with my old recurve just so I could say I did. My one hesitation is I still just don't feel as confident in the instant effectiveness compared to a large caliber rifle. I really respect those who like to challenge themselves but I'm personally torn by the thought of shooting one fully expecting it will not drop in it's tracks. Even rifles aren't always a sure and I'm not saying a bow is not an effective and perfectly acceptable choice of weapon in general and under the right circumstances. I just hunt smaller properties and I'm not sure I could justify putting myself in the position of having to trail wounded animals off my property if I felt I could have perhaps avoided it by simply using a tool that I personally had more confidence/competence with. I've got to much successful experience with rifles and we don't have any archery season in my area so there's no other factor in choosing archer than personal choice.
    Last edited by mudfishmusic; 08-17-2013 at 12:10 PM.

I've never had a good double lung shot deer go over 40yds.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleLungRage View Post
    I've never had a good double lung shot deer go over 40yds.
    I have no doubt it works I just don't consider myself that proficient to start off with and if I do decide to try I'm going to do it with a 50lb draw recurve shooting 140 fps not a 65lb draw modern compound delivering 250+. I've talked with enough archery hunters with a lot more experience than me who've told me about their misses to not feel overly confident that when I let the arrow fly it is an almost absolute that it will result in that double lung shot you describe... This one of those subjects that is hard to discuss without coming across like you're knocking someone else's tactic and that's not my intent. I'm OK with someone else given their on considerations taking on the challenge I just haven't been able to quite talk myself into it in my current situation.

Andre,
    I warn you that if you start hunting with a compound bow and take a deer (any deer) at 20 yards, you may be selling the guns. Nothing like a deer staring you down at 18 yards and trying to keep you heart from pounding so loud that the deer runs off. I rifle hunted for 20 years and killed lots of deer, but since I picked up a bow 4 years ago I have no interest in shooting one with a rifle. I have only killed 4 with the bow, but I am a much better hunter now than I ever was before. Perfect example, last night I had 2 young bucks at 30 yards for 15 minutes before they walked past me on a trail at 6 yards. Never drew the bow but just getting a wary deer that close without being detected is very rewarding.

Mudfish,
    I respect your concern and I have the same. I have limited which shots I will take, and if I am not 100% confident I can make a clean kill than the deer walks.

If you want a compound bow spend good money up front and get good equipment to start. That way when you become knowledgable about archery you will not want to spend more money to upgrade equipment. As far as a crossbow goes they are much louder, and to me not as rewarding, as a my compound. I am 6'5" 230.

Quote Originally Posted by andre A View Post
    The last time I shot a bow I must have been 5 or 6 and the arrow had a suction cup instead of a broadhead.....
    I've been a gun hunter my whole life and now that I live in upstate SC I've been motivated to start archery hunting since the season starts 25 days earlier. I bought a crossbow last year which I used last season and will use this season as well. I'm thinking that I want to try it with a real bow next year.

Any advice on what to start with?
    I'm 6'5 and 300 lbs if that has any bearing on bow selection
    There is really not an answer to this question. What works for me may not work for you. As others have said go shoot some bows and figure out what feels best to you. I would also recommend not going with a the cheapest low end bow you can find. The lower end bows will work, but it is much more enjoyable to shoot a mid to upper end bow. You need to figure out how much you want to spend and try to get the most bang for your buck. Buying used is a great thing. You can, most times, get any companys top of the line bow that is a year or two old for the same price of a brand new mid to lower end bow. Check out Archery talk, there are some great deals to be had on there. You may want to have one of your buddies that is pretty knowledgable about bows help you out. Good luck and dont hesitate to ask any more questions, you have a great group of very knowledgable friends to help out here.

In my opinion, it would be best to be fitted a good pro shop with best equipment within your budget. Ebay and Arcbery Talk have deals but tbe sevice of a pro shop is worth the little extra cost.
    "Knowledge is true opinion." ~ Plato

"We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive. "-Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by 280 Man View Post
    While I respect your opinion, Why do you make such a statement.... Have you ever owned a crossbow, hunted with one??.....Crossbow hunters and hunting are the fastest growing demographic of our sport.....
    The people that I know that shoot crossbows, you NOT included, just want to hunt during the early archery season without the "hassle" of learning to shoot a compound plus they assume they can shoot further. I almost fell into that category before I bought my PSE.

Quote Originally Posted by SCbowhunter1000 View Post
    In my opinion, it would be best to be fitted a good pro shop with best equipment within your budget. Ebay and Arcbery Talk have deals but tbe sevice of a pro shop is worth the little extra cost.
    Agreed. The only thing better than a tech at a shop is a buddy with a loaner bow for you to learn and test whether it even interests you. AT and E-bay purchases IMO are for the already initiated who can work on their own bow, etc.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    God send death, watch it bleed, justified
    Manufactured lives born in hell

"World Painted Blood". SLAYER

You would be amazed at how many bow "techs" at "pro" shops know less about bows that you do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast