Camera Land, IncMeadows Edge
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Missing your shot.

  1. #1

    Default Missing your shot.

    I was talking to a hunting friend that had shot at a deer and missed. He was asking me what were the odds of that deer returning the next day. Well I didn't know actually what to tell him. But I said deer get spooked all the time and return to the same are later just as if dogs pushes one out of the area it does returns. I did say just go as often as you can and you will see it sooner or later. I think I am right on that statement. This young man has a lot of faith in me so did I steer him wrong.
    Stlnifr the silent hunter.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Six Mile,SC
    Posts
    5,668

    Default

    I remember 20something years ago one afternoon my father in law,stepdad,buddy of mine and me were walking the edge of an "island of whiteoaks" in the middle of a cutover when a huge buck erupted from the oaks,and sailed across the logging road....and of course I throwed a 308 slug his way-clean miss.....The next morning my father in law was pondering where to hunt that morning-I told him to go back to where we saw that buck,he said,he won't be back,but I convinced him he would......around 10 am that buck stepped out of a thicket about 100yds from my father in law.....and of course,he missed him too!......they ain't as smart as we like to think they are,but they can be aweful lucky!
    "Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage:be not afraid,neither be thou dismayed:for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest." Joshua 1:9

  3. #3

    Default

    That's what I thought a deer likes its home territory. Now that is funny he was lucky twice shot at and twice missed within two days same location.
    Stlnifr the silent hunter.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Six Mile,SC
    Posts
    5,668

    Default

    Made me sad.......
    "Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage:be not afraid,neither be thou dismayed:for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest." Joshua 1:9

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    ,s.c.
    Posts
    2,686

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Savage 99 View Post
    I remember 20something years ago one afternoon my father in law,stepdad,buddy of mine and me were walking the edge of an "island of whiteoaks" in the middle of a cutover when a huge buck erupted from the oaks,and sailed across the logging road....and of course I throwed a 308 slug his way-clean miss.....The next morning my father in law was pondering where to hunt that morning-I told him to go back to where we saw that buck,he said,he won't be back,but I convinced him he would......around 10 am that buck stepped out of a thicket about 100yds from my father in law.....and of course,he missed him too!......they ain't as smart as we like to think they are,but they can be aweful lucky!
    they ain't smart,they are "PARANOID" on the verge of being "SCHIZO",and when in the "rut" blinded by the smell of ....a "hot" doe!Many a Male has been layed low by that very urge!!!! hahaha
    "It don't make much sense
    That common sense
    Don't make no sense
    No more"....John Prine

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Myrtle Beach south of heaven
    Posts
    4,041

    Default

    I was hunting with Deadfall in 2009 and I missed a shot at a pig at 7 AM. Two of them were feeding on Overcup acorns. I flat out missed. We returned to the same spot to eat lunch at 11:30 and the same two black sows returned to the same overcup and I killed one of them at about 25 yards. Pigs are punctual for lunch, shot at or not. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it. Moral of the story is nothing is impossible and there are no hard and fast rules about spooking animals completely.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    God send death, watch it bleed, justified
    Manufactured lives born in hell

    "World Painted Blood". SLAYER

  7. #7

    Default

    The studies have shown that if you run a buck out of his core area, with dogs or whatever, he will be back within 24 hours. This study was done with collared deer so they knew how far they went and when they returned.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Big sky country surrounded by turkeys.
    Posts
    1,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by badfaulkner View Post
    I was hunting with Deadfall in 2009 and I missed a shot at a pig at 7 AM. Two of them were feeding on Overcup acorns. I flat out missed. We returned to the same spot to eat lunch at 11:30 and the same two black sows returned to the same overcup and I killed one of them at about 25 yards. Pigs are punctual for lunch, shot at or not. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it. Moral of the story is nothing is impossible and there are no hard and fast rules about spooking animals completely.
    There is one hard and fast rule IMO. If you attribute human reasoning to animal's actions then you are probably not going to be overly successful hunting them.

    Palmetto Slam Founder

    Established April 2012

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Greenville/Simpsonville, SC
    Posts
    774

    Default

    I walked into a stand late 1 morning and spooked a really nice 9 pt. My buddy killed that deer the next morning on the same stand

    Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,065

    Default

    Hey. my biggest buck I ever killed, I ran him and a doe out of the field about 4pm and had him come out with 14 does at the same field at 530pm the same day. He never came back after that time tho

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moheathen View Post
    they ain't smart,they are "PARANOID" on the verge of being "SCHIZO",and when in the "rut" blinded by the smell of ....a "hot" doe!Many a Male has been layed low by that very urge!!!! hahaha
    Not so different from us huh
    .45-70 is the only Government I trust...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Greenwood
    Posts
    665

    Default

    Missed 1 last year quartering away from me 2nd day of the season with a bow, 4 days later the exact same two walked the exact same trail. Except I didn't miss the second time.
    Romans 1:20 "For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse for not knowing God"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •