Meadows EdgeMeadows Edge

Thread: How many on here strictly bowhunt?

Default How many on here strictly bowhunt?

Just as the title says I'm curious as to who else only bowhunts? I love it and never catch myself in the stand without it

Bow only here, been that way for years .

I started hunting strictly with my bow about 15 years or so ago. Since then, I have taken the rifle out for a couple of out of state hunts, a couple of drawn hunts (Webb, etc.), and a few times to hunt a brand new clear cut on our land. Nothing else like bow hunting.

I had not taken a gun in the woods for at least 4 years till this year and only took a gun a couple times a year several years prior to that. Was not having much luck getting a shot with the bow and my daughter was after me to make some jerky. And I had picked up a used Ruger 7744 so I took it one time. A doe walked by at about 10 yards and I shot it.I put the gun back up and went Back to the bow. I did manage to get a doe about a week later. Also I hunt with a recurve.
    So,I guess in the strictest sense I am not strictly bow.

Haven't carried a rifle in 4 years and I've only taken a couple with it. Shotgun kill last year with my best buck but only took it to retrieve my stand and bow. I've happily carried the bowtech as my primary for 7 years. It's cost me a couple book deer but it's what I love. I think I'm around 30 or so kills with it over the last 7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mcn....

That's why I quit gun hunting, I'm programmed to bow range now

I love to bow hunt. I have to admit that I have taken the gun on some occasions but I truly love to bow hunt. I don't always have the best of luck with the bow, none so far this year, but "it ain't over til it is over". So I keep going.

I'm one of the stricken
    I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen; not because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.

What's insane is people who think the Goverment removing rights from responsible people will somehow keep them safe.

Green head is the big buck WMA assassin!

I have been bow hunting for a long time as well. I have a rifle and Muzzle Loader and shotgun that i could take out but i dont care too i enjoy the challenge. This is my third season hunting here in South Carolina and I have finally started harvesting deer so i dont see myself ever doing anything else. It is very addicting to get a deer in that close

Bow only for 3 years. Can't see going back.

100% but not by some big decision or following but it just sort of happened. Reason being I believe is the areas we hunt here in the low country is small and thick and you can't see further than 40 yards for the most part so I simply didn't need the gun and found the bow to be the weapon of choice. I believe if I lived in another part of the state with open hardwoods and fields my savage would be with me much more often but for now it just doesn't make sense to carry a gun when the bow does the job.

I haven't carried a rifle in at least 15 years, bow only. As slippery said, the areas I hunt are pretty thick and the shots are short anyway. I also think it disturbs them less and considering the long season here, it lets met see deer throughout the year. If it was just about the kill and putting meat in the freezer then I could see carrying the rifle, but the thrill of figuring them out and getting up close and personal is what it's all about. It lets me watch the deer more and learn more about their travel patterns and where/how they move through an area.

I've done a ten year bow only stretch and just spent the last six till this October. I figure it's all about proving something to yourself or at least it should be. Bow hunting will force you to be a better hunter simply because of the constraints of using it.

Palmetto Slam Founder

Established April 2012

I can only claim about 90% of the time the Hoyt is in my hand.

Bow only for 95% of my hunting, but the last two weeks of the season it is doe patrol. I'm a bow hunter through and through, but there is nothing like sitting on a food plot, that has not been hunted all season, with a high powered rifle and thinning out the does!

And just to think Bamberg will have it's first ever Bow Only Club on 1000 acr track for 2014 . .
    From Aug.15th to Jan 1st. . . . Long Season for bow hunting
    For info P.M. me
    Todays Youth - Tomorrows Hunters

Bow only in Bamberg! If done right that club will start adding members names to the SC and P&Y record books.

I just started deer hunting this year and don't have a rifle yet and I'm not really interested in getting one if not for my kids.

Quote Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
    Bow only in Bamberg! If done right that club will start adding members names to the SC and P&Y record books.
    True and because the land owners beside this track already manage and the farmer on the other side of the river bow hunts his property.
    Will have a meeting sometime mid Jan. to view land and a cook out that day.
    Last edited by Southern Pines; 12-15-2013 at 08:09 AM.
    Todays Youth - Tomorrows Hunters

Been bow only since 94,never looked back.I'm a glutton for punishment.

Bow hunting only since 2000 and Love IT