Whitetails Unlimited TaxidermyWhitetails Unlimited Taxidermy

Thread: First limit of crappie of 2014

Default First limit of crappie of 2014

I went to Blalock today and did a little crappie fishing. I fished for 2 1/2 hours and brought home 20 crappie. All between 9 and 12 inches, not great big ones but good table fare. Water temp was 48 degrees and the fish were about 10-12 ft deep. I used jigs.
    SCCH
    Addicted Coyote Hunter!!!!

And I thought I was the only Crappie fisherman on here. Good job, thanks for the post.
    SeaRay
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men.

I never have fished for crappie but I hear its fun . It really sucks lake robinson was over fished years ago , its walking distance from my house . I hear the place use to be full of crappie and also hear how everyone was filling coolers up and the park rangers never checked anybody either .

Congrats on the good mess of crappie SCcoyote hunter. You ever fish Bowen?

I'm not familiar with Robinson or state park. Sounds like something to go visit on a Saturday. Any details?

Quote Originally Posted by bushmstr02 View Post
    I never have fished for crappie but I hear its fun . It really sucks lake robinson was over fished years ago , its walking distance from my house . I hear the place use to be full of crappie and also hear how everyone was filling coolers up and the park rangers never checked anybody either .
    I live right Robinson as well. You used to be able to catch a good many and decent ones at that from the dock at the ramp as well as the fishing pier.
    I don't buy that it got fished out by the GW's not checking people. I get checked every time I go and see them checking others as well. Its just the total overall pressure on the lake IMO. Cunningham is a much better crappie lake now.
    RIP Dakota 2/1/13
    NBK

Quote Originally Posted by Tater50 View Post

I'm not familiar with Robinson or state park. Sounds like something to go visit on a Saturday. Any details?
    Lake robinson is a really nice lake , I fished it from the banks and docks several times and I think I have caught one catfish , I saw a dead crappie once , lol . I went out in a kayak fishing once and never had a bite and never seen the first fish around any of the docks or banks , not even a bream . I did go once and there was a few fish including a big bass around the boat dock so I know there are some fish , must be , the place has a lot of fishers on the weekends . The place is nice , quiet and you cant beat the view , has nice restrooms and picnic area , pretty chilled out area . I think a 9 hp is the max on motor size and there is always a lot of kayakers too , you gotta have permits for boats and to just fish from bank , you get them at the ranger station when you come in . Lake Cunningham is only right down the road too , it has some nice lily pad areas and creeks running into it from robinson that has a waterfowl area too , but don't think you can hunt it though .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
    I live right Robinson as well. You used to be able to catch a good many and decent ones at that from the dock at the ramp as well as the fishing pier.
    I don't buy that it got fished out by the GW's not checking people. I get checked every time I go and see them checking others as well. Its just the total overall pressure on the lake IMO. Cunningham is a much better crappie lake now.
    I didn't say the gw was at fault , he was just part of the problem , its the peoples fault for taking more than the limits allowed . I'm just telling you what a lot of the ole timers that have lived around here for a long time has told me , said the wardens years ago hardly ever checked anybody and people were taking out cooler fulls . My wifes uncle use to fish it and said the same , he said it was nothing to fill up two big coolers fishing from the bank . He told me a story once that they were gonna be checked ,they were fishing from the bridge on the other end of the lake . There was an old woman that was fishing too , they were pounding crappie and had a cooler full well over limit . Said the ranger came up and was going to check them and the old woman told him to leave them alone and go on about his business , he replied " but mama " and went back to his truck , lol . The one that is there now seems like he is a good guy but out of all the times I've been I've met him twice and he was there for like 5 minutes . I've treid to get permits before to fish and couldn't because he wasn't there , kinda hard to check the boats for catch limits when your never there .

If hrs not there hrs at Cunningham, rock's, or Peggy's diner...he ain't far away. Plus if you call he'll meet you there. Its where I always pick up my turkey tags as well.
    RIP Dakota 2/1/13
    NBK

Quote Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
    If hrs not there hrs at Cunningham, rock's, or Peggy's diner...he ain't far away. Plus if you call he'll meet you there. Its where I always pick up my turkey tags as well.
    Really ? I didn't know you could get turkeys tags there , thanks for the info . I've been thinking of getting a jon boat for a while , would really like to explore more of both lakes .

Yeah they are available there. Its one reason I don't worry with getting mine thru the mail.
    RIP Dakota 2/1/13
    NBK

Quote Originally Posted by Tater50 View Post

Sometimes I fish Bowen. There are also some nice ones in there. We fished the Southern Sportsman Crappie tournament there a few years ago and won. We had 11lbs in 10 crappie.
    Robinson is a good bass lake, there are some hawgs dwelling in there.
    SCCH
    Addicted Coyote Hunter!!!!

Lake Robinson GW - great guy, the older one (sometimes there's a younger gal and guy there - good to me but I like the older fellow the best - his name escapes me)...they're always around - been checked at least 2x but the good news is that once they figure you are a law abiding citizen they don't hassle you. PLUS they have some AWESOME and I mean AWESOME cameras - the older guy showed me some of them (some you see some you don't) and they can zoom in to read the ingredients on your soda bottle - incredible detail (bunch on the creek and behind the dam as well). My son wears out the bass, catfish and breams.

Lake Cunningham - love fishing bream there with the kids - don't catch much, my brother does well there. Lost many a lure over that way.

As for crappie, think we might have caught 1 over there last time and if you gents have never gone crappie fishing you should - they smack minnows like no one's business - my wife's Uncle and I came in 3rd place in a GE Fishing Tourney down at Greenwood one year - he told me on the way down - we'll fish for crappie while all those other guys fish for bass (it was scored by total weight) and my daughter caught a honker down at Keowee when she was about 12 or so - biggest crappie I've ever seen right off my bro's in-laws boat dock...

Love crappie fishing - me and the "boy" gonna go down to Greenwood this spring and tear 'em up!
    "I may keep this boyheart of mine...I am an idealist. I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way." Carl Sandburg