Camera Land, IncAdvertise on SCON
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any other Round ball hunters in here?

Default Any other Round ball hunters in here?

Just wanted to see if there are any other round ball hunters in here. I myself hunt with my Lyman Great Plains percussion rifle in .54 cal. I use a .535 swaged round ball and .015" prelubed ticking patch over 110 grains of goex FFg and set it off with a RWS musket cap. This rifle Loves that load and putting the round ball in the kill zone at 100 yards is not a problem. My hammer has a super loud *click* when cocked and I learned the hard way to cock it when I get in the stand, then when its go time I just chance the lighter *click* from the rear set trigger. I wish there was another way but the deer can hear that hammer being cocked back with ease. Its a challenge using this rifle of yesteryear. But its a challenge and I love the thing. I usually load it at the beginning of the season making sure the chamber is nice and dry before I pour in the charge, then the patched ball is rammed home. After that I just run a patch lubed with bore butter down the barrel to lube up the barrel and protect it from moisture, rust, etc. It stays charged until I fire it. I just install a musket cap before the hunt, then remove the cap after the hunt. Nothing like the looks of your hunting buddies when you get out of the truck with the Long Rifle. If you hunt our beloved whitetail with a more traditional style round ball launcher. Please post up and share your story's.

I hear ya man. I have a .58 cal cva that I've taken a few deer with. My vision has dropped off enough that I struggle to line up open sights.
    I've went to contacts this year, and I plan to break it back out.

I try to hunt at least once during the season with my old T/C Pennsylvania Hunter 50 cal. with a one in 66 twist....ole gal still shoots good!
    "Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage:be not afraid,neither be thou dismayed:for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest." Joshua 1:9

How long will you leave it loaded during the season?

I have never used round balls but I do hunt with "maxi-balls." Not really a ball but I do mold them myself.
    .45-70 is the only Government I trust...

Quote Originally Posted by hammer54 View Post
    How long will you leave it loaded during the season?
    Until I kill a deer unless I hunt in the rain. If I shoot, and reload I will shoot that one out at the end of the day.

I still hunt with a TC 54 renegade ( side lock) )1/36" twist Hornaday .530 round ball w/pillow ticking patch/ 90 gr. fff powder.
    The choice to keep your rifle loaded between hunts is not wise.
    Black powder is Hygroscopic ( attracts and holds moisture). Just the temp change from a cold weather to a warm vehicle or gunsafe can and will produce condensation inside the barrel and can cause misfires,
    Chemical breakdown of moist powder creates a sulphur oxidation which highly corrosive and is the reason why black powder bores tend to pit and corrode over time. You may well get away with leaving a charge in the bore, but it WILL eventually cause a misfire....!
    I have found that one of the most common causes of hangfires/misfires is using low quality imported musket caps.Try to avoid CVA brand and other Spanish made caps. I've had the best luck with CCI and a few German caps such as RWS.
    Last edited by RonSC; 05-21-2014 at 08:52 AM.

Ron I know what your saying. However I use 777 not black powder, and I never get misfires. My .45 is still loaded, and I'd take it hunting tomorrow.

When I shot bp, and pyrodex I shot, and cleaned every time I was done hunting.

From all my research and understanding black powder is not Hygroscopic in its original state. But it IS VERY Hygroscopic AFTER it has been fired. And most muzzle loaders that suffer pitted barrels are from users NOT cleaning them ASAP after firing them. I have had no misfires using CCI or RWS caps nor have I had a charge not go off. I've also read stories of Civil war era and other antique rifles that were found to still be charged for who knows how long and they fired the charge out with no problems. If its a rainy / moist day I will take the .303 for that hunt.

[QUOTE=deerslayer303;215931]From all my research and understanding black powder is not Hygroscopic in its original state. But it IS VERY Hygroscopic AFTER it has been fired. And most muzzle loaders that suffer pitted barrels are from users NOT cleaning them ASAP after firing them. I have had no misfires using CCI or RWS caps nor have I had a charge not go off. I've also read stories of Civil war era and other antique rifles that were found to still be charged for who knows how long and they fired the charge out with no problems. If its a rainy / moist day I will take the .303 for that hunt.[/QUOTE

Sorry my friend but more research is in order......Obviously you are free to do as you choose BUT the fact remains...Black powder IS hygroscopic both BEFORE and AFTER firing. Yes it is more corrosive after ignition BUT chemical reaction due to moisture and/or condensation in the barrel can result in barrel corrosion even in UNfired charges if allowed to remain in barrels for extended periods. (Ref paragraphs 1 & 8)
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/problems_blackpowder.htm
    Last edited by RonSC; 05-21-2014 at 06:25 PM.

I have been doing some more reading since I posted my last. It seems the culprit is the KNO3 (potassium nitrate). I should have put two and two together since I've seen the beds of gravity fertilizer trucks that suffer the corrosive effects of KNO3. So with this said I've ordered a CO2 pusher from cabelas today. Now I'll just push the charge out after the hunt. No bid deal, as the loading process is fun for me. With all that said over the past 3 seasons, I've seen no ill effects on my barrel from the method I've been using. But that method will change this year I guess.

I have a CO2 device to push a charge out of my side hammer. I thought it was a good idea, until I used it. It causes condensation in the breech from chilling it when the CO2 is discharged. You still have to thoroughly clean the bore after using it...
    http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sport037.gif

hmm this is true, I didn't even think about that. Those things do get freezing cold. May as well just do the fun thing and light the old girl off. hehe. I'm gonna experiment with a rubber tipped blow gun and my air compressor tomorrow. Makes a modern inline with a removable breech plug that much more appealing....................wait not it doesn't those aren't no where near as cool. LOL

777 is way less corrosive.

Quote Originally Posted by stlhunr View Post
    I have a CO2 device to push a charge out of my side hammer. I thought it was a good idea, until I used it. It causes condensation in the breech from chilling it when the CO2 is discharged. You still have to thoroughly clean the bore after using it...
    Stlhntr:

I've tried those Co2 devices in the past and my experience has been that they can be kinda' hit-n-miss, depending on tightness of the patch and ball. Personally I've had better luck just using TC ball puller. Flint River makes a utility length Ramrod of heavy wall aluminum aluminum that is intended to be trimmed to length. It comes with a standard 10-32 threaded tip that is pressed into the rod end. I always add a few drop so LocTite for good measure. I've used these for years and they work great. I usually cut mine approx 3" longer than the existing rod and use a TC T-handle on the opposite end. Walmart has carried these in the past and they can be picked up for a on sale for a song after the close of deer season along with most other BP supplies.

The biggest problem with ball pullers is making sure that the business end contacts the center of the round ball. I have found through experience that the fit between the brass pilot (collar) needs to be fairly tight to allow the puller to center on the ball. For a 50 cal. bore I buy an oversize puller (. 54 or 58 cal) and chuck it in a drill press our hand drill and using emery cloth " turn down" the collar for a snug fit. Although not absolutely necessary I always use a muzzle guide which further helps to center the rod.
    Last edited by RonSC; 05-22-2014 at 08:49 AM.

I use a ball puller or just fire the gun to clear it. I only used the CO2 a couple of times, just thought it would clear the charge and all I'd have to do then was patch it clean. It makes enough mess from wetting the powder that you have to clean the same as if you had shot the gun anyway...
    http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sport037.gif

Well the rubber tipped blow gun will push the ball out. It comes out of there with some authority too. I pushed it out into my rag bucket. So this is a good thing. I still have that CO2 pusher on order and I will try it when it gets here, but I like my air compressor so far. I think tomorrow I'll head on out to SRRPC and push some round ball out the fun way!!!

Can you still buy a non in line muzzleloader. I used to have a 45 percussion but got rid of it years ago for an in line. Now I would like to go back to a 45 cal percussion. Where can you get one and all the accessories? Thanks for sending me in the right direction.

You know there's not much more fun to be had than watching the black powder go up in the early mornings .when you touch her off. I have not shot a buck in many many years with my old muzzle loading rifles. But back in the days of my youth. I hunted all season long some times . I loved them all. I used The 45 --50--54 -- and 58 cal. All in round balls.. Now days I love to pull out a old muzzle loader shotgun.when ever I think about a dove shoot or I really love to hunt old man ---TOM--- with a 12 ga or my favorite --- a long barrel ((42in))). 10 ga that I picked up in a aution. Best deal I will ever run into On a really nice shooter. I'm still working on finding the perfect load for her to reach out to about 35 pr 40 yards .she did not come with any chocking in her barrels. But for a big shotgun .lord does she feel and handle great .. The triggers really have a great feel to them also as I fire her. I'm looking into jug chokeing her barrels To full choke thus making her into a killer at 40 yards or under for old man TOM-Turkey. The other day I had worked up a load that was good enough to take a old tom with -- just as she is now out to about 30 yards .. The best load IV found for her right now is 115 gr of 777 powder with 2 -1/4 in --10 ga over shot hard cards on top of the powder, then I follow that up with a 10 ga modern plastic wad that's been lubed real good with what we call yellow butter. That makes the cups side down much easier. As the cups or a tight fit. I use the same powder measure ((set at 115 ga)). I just fill it up with #5 nickel covered lead shoot. Just before I add the shot. I place in the bottom of the cup 1- 20 ga 1/4 felt wad .i per cut my cups so their just the right height with ever thing inside. Next I add just enough of muffin mix into the cup own top of the shot to fill in all the air space around the shot.this is all done so I don't have a lot of flyers once the shot is own it's way..the next thing I do is follow up with one more 10 ga over shot hard wad. This is a lot to do --- that's for sure. But I'm hunting Mr tom and it's not like I'm going to be shooting that many times in a day any way.. Anyway I just love the old black powder guns..
    Last edited by ADEERMAN; 06-12-2014 at 09:06 PM.

I have an old hawkins kit gun, I am sure some of you are old enough to remember them. It is a 45 cal. cap and ball. I have only shot it a few times, not very accurate and it weighs a ton not to mention it looks like it is 6' long lol. After reading this thread and some of the post I think I will get it out and give it a try. I think I will wait until I get one in the freezer first.

Shot my 58 last weekend.

Also have a Great Plains Lyman but in .50 Cal.
    I have found that if you hold down the main trigger when cocking it. There is no noise. Put nipple on after. I also place and old folded glove between the nipple and hammer (Avoids accidental discharge, if you want you can even set the trigger without worrying about accidental discharge, if you bump something when in stand.) Only do this after getting into the stand and never when hunting from the ground - stalking.

Hi bubblehead. Get yourself a copy of Muzzleloader magazine. Quite a few gun makers listed and accessory providers. You can also try Dixie Gun works. They sell kits and finished rifles; also everything that you need. I don't know what your budget is but some of the smoke poles can be pretty expensive. I shoot a .62 cal flintlock 1:60 twist barrel patched round ball. Mine was made by a gunsmith up here. The type of rifle was originally called a Poor Boy or also a Barn Door because it's not fancy, just a work horse. My wife does NOT know what I paid for it! When my son was living in Lexington, Ky I used to visit and go to the Contemporary Longrifle Association convention in August. You could see rifles that were too pretty to take into the woods. They have a good website. I hope that you enjoy getting back into Primitive.

I hunt with a old Kentucky rifle. 45 caliber 1:66 twist. Also hunt with a .50 cal carbine 1:48 twist. Both round balls. Kinda keeps it moe challenging for me.

I'm going to have to learn to shoot it left handed but this is it. 50 cal T/C Hawken.

Formerly Bill SC Hunter from the SCDNR Forums

Got military surplus weapons you want to get rid of? Lemme know!

Owner/webmaster
    Milsurpshooter.Net

Good morning Parallax. Sorry to take so long to reply to your post about shooting a right handed percussion lock left handed. I am certainly not an expert but the guys who taught me how to shoot black powder are. First of all never shoot any smoke poles without eye protection. Never shoot from a position where the lock crosses your face and eyes. There are numerous reports of eye injuries due to flash backs of sparks and particles. I remember being told "you only have 2 eyes; do you really want to take that chance". I sure don't want to sound like a Know it all preacher but I really recommend that you reconsider. Good Luck, Joe D.

Yeah, I'm a machinist so I do protect my eyes. The tip is worth sharing however and I hope others take heed.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Formerly Bill SC Hunter from the SCDNR Forums

Got military surplus weapons you want to get rid of? Lemme know!

Owner/webmaster
    Milsurpshooter.Net

I have a few in-lines that take the new stuff (as I call it) but I am a pure round ball hunter. I too have a Lyman GP and Trade rifles in 58 and 45. My favorites are my TC Hawken 50 cal and a Traditions that I bought on the spur of the moment but love to shoot because of the accuracy. I sold all but one of my pistols and now have only a 45 Kentucky pistol. Recently moved to the North area and would love to join a muzzle loader/BP club if you know of any. BTW (bragging) I hold the Sapelo Island WMA record for the largest rack to come off of the island. I took it with my TC Hawken in 1997 and it holds a special place on the wall in my home. Sapelo deer are very small and his score was 108 5/8 minus 5 pts for dingers so 103 5/8 12 point. Funny thing about that day is that after I shot it, I was embarrassed to drag it out of the woods. But when DNR saw it they really got involved with pics, measurements and such. It was my first hunt there and I expected bigger deer but instead I got Pinckney Island deer.

In 1981 I bought a CVA 45 Kentucky rifle for a toy just to plink with. Took 2 days to sand and stain and prep the barrel for completion of the kit. Added some carving and period style decorations and thought I was a regular Dan'l Boone. I was hooked for life after the first shooting session. Rabbits and squirrels only. I'm looking for a 32 or 36 if you know of one.

You won't have any trouble finding one but get ready to pay more than you want. Cabelas has them as do many other stores like that. Pawn shops are a good source but take a drop in bore light to check it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast