Camera Land, IncCamera Land, Inc
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dad's Dementia is getting worse.

Praying for yall Bill!
    "Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage:be not afraid,neither be thou dismayed:for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest." Joshua 1:9

An update on my father.

He is adapting to his new life and surroundings but upon moving in he had to be immediately moved into the memory unit since he tried to leave the first night. Since then he only seems down or unhappy with the place whenever my sister and I are there to visit him. I guess we remind him of his life at home. He is being treated well and is the life of the place with the female residents, but I can see his memory failing at an accelerated pace. Yesterday when I mentioned my son, John, he seemed to not know who I was talking about for a few minutes, then he seemed to recall him again. It's sad but I feel much better knowing he is eating well and taking his meds. He did fall a few weeks ago and hit is head on his dresser but a visit to the emergency room at the hospital for a ct scan and examination showed nothing more than a broken nose and a couple of bad scrapes on his head. I hate to think of what would happen to him if he had done this at home. He's always been a tough guy, toughest I know when it comes to dealing with pain.
    Formerly Bill SC Hunter from the SCDNR Forums

Got military surplus weapons you want to get rid of? Lemme know!

Owner/webmaster
    Milsurpshooter.Net

continued prayers from Seneca.

Bill I have been through that myself. A terrible disease. After a while they will forget about home life to some extent and feel more comfortable at the care facility.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Update on my father's dementia.

It is becoming even more difficult to carry on any kind of conversation with him now due to the fact that he is incapable of remembering things that were significant enough for him to remember before. So he has little to nothing to talk about no matter how clever I try to be to bring some memories back for him. He is having trouble remembering my wife's name and never mentions his grandchildren without me bringing their names up. His health is good otherwise for a 91 year old man with dementia and AFIB.

Good news is that the VA is going to pay some of his assisted care fees. He is a WWII Merchant Marine and Army veteran.

Owner/webmaster
    Milsurpshooter.Net

Hold steady it's hard, but God does not put you through more than you can handle
    He's got you, remember the" Footprints in the sand"
    Always pray gods will be done !

Continued prayers from Seneca

Unhappy

We went to the monthly "family night" dinner last night. Here's my dad.

Sorry, tried several times to uplaod the pic but it always comes up sideways.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by parallax; 05-18-2018 at 06:28 AM.

Owner/webmaster
    Milsurpshooter.Net

Quote Originally Posted by vermontlad View Post
    Bill I feel your pain and my story is not in any way trying to steal your thunder. Believe me. I'm originally from Vermont. My dad died thirteen years ago. By law, everything was left to my mom. Mom and dad had seven kids (me included). One in Montana, two in Maine, one in Maryland, me in South Carolina and the final two in Vermont. We're all scattered. My mom died this past July at age 95. She had dementia. Shortly after she died, we (six siblings) found that mom had changed dad's will to favor the one sibling living next door to her. The will was changed shortly after my dad had passed perhaps ten years ago. Dad's will had everything spit equally seven ways. Her new will stipulated that my youngest brother & wife was willed 540K in money and property while the remaining six siblings would inherit approx. 25K each. Question: was she in her right mind when she made this change ? Just when did dementia set in which this decision was made by her. The will is signed by her, notarized, stamped, recorded etc. Inquiries from lawyers state that the six don't stand a chance of regaining our inheritance because we can't establish her frame of mind when she signed her will. Strange things happen when money and property is involved. Apparently greed, money changes people including kin. Not to steal anybody's thunder, especially Bill but please be aware that these things happened.
    I would hope that if this ever happened to me, and I was the one chosen to inherit the 540K, that I would distribute it amongst my siblings simply because its the right thing to do.
    If you think healthcare is expensive now, just wait until you see how expensive it is when it's free.

Quote Originally Posted by Banjo Bud View Post
    I would hope that if this ever happened to me, and I was the one chosen to inherit the 540K, that I would distribute it amongst my siblings simply because its the right thing to do.
    I have a cousin who cared for his bi-polar mom for decades, since he lived in her home town. During one of her episodes, she wrote him out of the will and told him so. He continued to care for her regardless. When she finally passed away, his little brother came to town and during the reading of the will, signed over the house and $$$ to his big brother, who had cared for his insane mother so well for so many years (and only got heartbreak after heartbreak for his troubles). It was a bit of a happy ending to a sad story. My respect for that younger cousin of mine is enormous.

Yep happened to me too. When my wonderful sisters needed someone to do the dirty work and force hard decisions guess who they called. Then connived to get me cut out. When dealing with someone even in early stages they can be easily swayed. If they can live with it I can live without it. I no longer associate with them.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

It’s not the money, it’s the hurt.
    If you think healthcare is expensive now, just wait until you see how expensive it is when it's free.

Quote Originally Posted by Banjo Bud View Post
    It’s not the money, it’s the hurt.
    That is what I told them. It destroyed the family. So be it.
    Last edited by Iceman; 05-18-2018 at 07:18 PM.
    Henry Ford

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12