Camera Land, IncUTS Web Solutions
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: New Bill

I don't have a dog in this fight....(Pun Intended) I don't dog hunt, but I offer this anecdote as food for thought.
    I am a Vietnam vet. IMO There are distinct parallells between this discussion and the way our government saw fit to conduct many operations in Southeast Asia. In the process of winning" hearts and minds " we "more often than not either (by accident or intention ) managed to accomplish the exact opposite by alienating the very folks we were attempting to win over. You absolutly cannot lay waste to rice patties , burn and raze hamlets, forcibly relocate entire villages and NOT expect to make them enemies. This in no way is meant to imply that the vast majority of our troops were willfully destructive but quite the contrary.
    Yet in the eyes of those villiagers, actions such as these were that proverbial "bell" that can't be "unrung"
    IF this bill passes (as written) the unintended consequences alone will doom dog hunting or at best relegate the sport to those few with very deep pockets. Any lease owner wanting to "stay in the game" would by necessity, be forced to increase lease costs to cover likelihood of litigation.
    Last edited by RonSC; 11-17-2017 at 01:45 PM.

8pointduck
    I have a question for you.
    What steps have you taken to keep dogs on the property you have permission to hunt with dogs?
    I am not against dog hunting as I grew up hunting this way and still go from time to time. I also understand times have changed and technology has came along way. Now technology gives us the opportunity to control dogs verses the past where technology only allowed us to know the direction/whereabouts of dogs.
    I also understand not everyone can afford the latest technology but at same time I also understand that there is nothing wrong with dog hunting IF the owner does his part to keep peace with neighbors.
    There are many different ways to keep peace but keeping dogs on property you have permission to be on is a absolute fix.
    The dog owners that can't afford the latest technology don't have to quit dog hunting they just have to go to other extremes to catch dogs before they exit the property.

Now if you are one of those that don't think deer dogs can have that kind of control I would be glad to take you hunting with me one day.

[QUOTE=frankb;303662]This is a joke post right? You cant be serious. Some one buys/owns property and doesnt want you running dogs on it, but you continue to do so and think they are the ones pushing thier will on you??? Christ, you could be the poster boy for the anti dogging movement.[/QUOT

Really? The poster boy you say? I guess you did not get it. What part about infiltration don't you get. What part of where are you from originally, or maybe native South Carolinians. Cause I really doubt if you are one.

" What part about infiltration don't you get. "

Legally moving ( infiltrating ) to S.C. from any other State and buying land in S.C. is - legal.

Any Dog chasing Deer ( infiltrating ) on private property in S.C. is - illegal - if the Dog owner ( Native or non-native ) does not have permission for his Dogs to be ( infiltrating ) on the ( Native or non-native ) property owners land.

" I guess you did not get it. "
    http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sport037.gif

What does a native Carolina boy call a yankee transplant? [besides words he'll never use in church on Sunday or around his wife]

Boss.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stlhunr View Post
    " What part about infiltration don't you get. "

Legally moving ( infiltrating ) to S.C. from any other State and buying land in S.C. is - legal.

Any Dog chasing Deer ( infiltrating ) on private property in S.C. is - illegal - if the Dog owner ( Native or non-native ) does not have permission for his Dogs to be ( infiltrating ) on the ( Native or non-native ) property owners land.

" I guess you did not get it. "
    Methinks, sir, you are fighting a losing battle, despite all the evidence, reason, logic, and legal precedent in your favor.
    Last edited by w33kender; 11-17-2017 at 06:59 AM. Reason: quoted the wrong person; deleted the quote

Hunters need to police their own and in particular Dog Hunters need to police their own also to keep the sport they love alive.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Just pointing out the futility of fighting/arguing to do something you have no legal right to do, regardless of where you were born.
    http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sport037.gif

Quote Originally Posted by w33kender View Post
    What does a native Carolina boy call a yankee transplant? [besides words he'll never use in church on Sunday or around his wife]

Boss.
    Tread lightly and watch where your foot may end up.
    Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’ Isaiah 41:10

Proud Student of Hattaway School of Turkey Hunting!

"It's a damn disease is what it is." - Dean "Redbeard" Mundhenke

The Few

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Hunters need to police their own and in particular Dog Hunters need to police their own also to keep the sport they love alive.
    HRRUMPH!!!! Well said!
    “In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -Thomas Paine

[QUOTE=8pointduck;303704]
    Quote Originally Posted by frankb View Post
    This is a joke post right? You cant be serious. Some one buys/owns property and doesnt want you running dogs on it, but you continue to do so and think they are the ones pushing thier will on you??? Christ, you could be the poster boy for the anti dogging movement.[/QUOT

Really? The poster boy you say? I guess you did not get it. What part about infiltration don't you get. What part of where are you from originally, or maybe native South Carolinians. Cause I really doubt if you are one.
    Yeah, poster boy and proving it with every post.

Me? Born in the Charleston Navy Hospital in 1960, lived in SC all my life but for 2 years my family was stationed in Florida. Maybe one day you will own some property and have to deal with your kind and learn something........but I have my doubts

Running dogs for deer is simply symptomatic of the overall problem associated with the Yankee transplants who move down here and do all they can to change us and our ways to what they left behind. Certainly dog hunters have to adapt to changing attitudes and loss of free range for hunting and the need for them to self regulate is obvious; however, most of us get pretty fed up with being told that our ways of doing things (toss the dog hunting out of the equation) should be changed to how things are done in New Jersey, Michigan, Ohio, etc., etc. The real problem is cultural. Yankees simply do not understand the Southern pride, mentality, and reverence for tradition. Maybe because as Southerners we aren't tied to our European roots as strongly as folks from the North; and certainly we have grown up in and around the historical background where history was recorded much more than most of those snowbirds who've relocated to the South.

Many Southerners (by birth) who for various reasons have lived outside of the South for extended periods of time probably don't have the same type of affinity for all things Southern and the traditions which are distinctively Southern aren't as precious to them as for those of us who've spent all of our lives right here. Those people are probably much more tolerant of the Yankee attitude that so deeply offends many of us who will always see any incursion and change as an act of aggression designed to change our way of life. To someone who has that deeply rooted heritage, when we hear the words "up North we do it this way", we immediately rebel and become mentally geared for battle............no matter what the topic.
    As more and more urbanites move into the rural areas and set about to transform what was once farm or timber land into housing and retail development they are also taking on the role of the aggressor who wants to not only change the land but also do away with our traditions and whether those folks are millennial Southerners or Yankee transplants the opposition to the change they bring continues to grow and cause friction on many levels. While the South is evolving........some for the better; the traditionalists among us will continue to harbor feelings of resentment and push back with the stubborness that has always made South Carolina unique; after all that's our history and our heritage!!
    NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, Palmetto Gun Rights, NAGR, GOA, Second Amendment Foundation, and proud SC redneck still flying The Stars and Bars.

Quote Originally Posted by davisd9 View Post
    Tread lightly and watch where your foot may end up.
    10-4, bro. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas4 View Post
    Running dogs for deer is simply symptomatic of the overall problem associated with the Yankee transplants who move down here and do all they can to change us and our ways to what they left behind. Certainly dog hunters have to adapt to changing attitudes and loss of free range for hunting and the need for them to self regulate is obvious; however, most of us get pretty fed up with being told that our ways of doing things (toss the dog hunting out of the equation) should be changed to how things are done in New Jersey, Michigan, Ohio, etc., etc. The real problem is cultural. Yankees simply do not understand the Southern pride, mentality, and reverence for tradition. Maybe because as Southerners we aren't tied to our European roots as strongly as folks from the North; and certainly we have grown up in and around the historical background where history was recorded much more than most of those snowbirds who've relocated to the South.

Many Southerners (by birth) who for various reasons have lived outside of the South for extended periods of time probably don't have the same type of affinity for all things Southern and the traditions which are distinctively Southern aren't as precious to them as for those of us who've spent all of our lives right here. Those people are probably much more tolerant of the Yankee attitude that so deeply offends many of us who will always see any incursion and change as an act of aggression designed to change our way of life. To someone who has that deeply rooted heritage, when we hear the words "up North we do it this way", we immediately rebel and become mentally geared for battle............no matter what the topic.
    As more and more urbanites move into the rural areas and set about to transform what was once farm or timber land into housing and retail development they are also taking on the role of the aggressor who wants to not only change the land but also do away with our traditions and whether those folks are millennial Southerners or Yankee transplants the opposition to the change they bring continues to grow and cause friction on many levels. While the South is evolving........some for the better; the traditionalists among us will continue to harbor feelings of resentment and push back with the stubborness that has always made South Carolina unique; after all that's our history and our heritage!!
    And some people just don't want others running rampant over thier property like they own it.

OH, SO YOU ARE A NAVY BRAT! Well that explains a lot. You are not a native. Poster boy........how stupid. You have proved my point. Oh and you have no idea of what I own in my state. You have proven how ,not just S.C., but the whole southeast has been flooded with people from other states that push their will on the native people who have roots there. Not just on this topic ,but many more. But I guess we can blame it on ourselves for letting this happen. little by little land was bought up by , let's say, people from the north. We didn't notice that these people were trying to take over until it was too late. Yes you own your land. Yes you have the right to it. It is your land. But when you wish that dog hunters get theirs. That is crossing the line. You say that you have these hunters repeatedly coming on your land? I bet they have no choice if their dogs get away from them. Your attitude most likely causes there resistance to you. Bottom line, I could care less what you say or what you think. You have proven that you want dog hunting eliminated.

Born and raised here skippy. I make no bones about it, I would like to see dogging regulated to to point where it has to be done right or not at all. I would like for every dogger that runs dogs where they shouldn't be shut down and out of dogging for good. And if you are a dogger that does it right you should too. And if you don't then chances are you ARE the problem with dogging today.

As far as proving a point, you keep proving mine with every post.

AMEN I agree with everything you posted except one. I believe what so called improvements are subjective. Evolving is not always done the right way. Just because something can be done does not mean it should be done. Now I am not saying nothing should, because I have seen some great things. But, it has gone way too far. Charleston and the surrounding areas is a travesty, James Island is wall to wall buildings. The blatant sprawl in Goose Creek, Summerville and Monks Corner are off the charts. No one needs to tell me that is progress. That is not the progress needed.

Born and raised on the Navy base. You have shallow ties. So don't try it ''SKIPPY''. Step up, don't be shy. You want what you want. Stop lying saying if they do this or that. You want it gone. Screw them, right. You are the one that rthomas4 was talking about. The harder you push, the harder you will get pushed back. How can dog hunters do it right when one tract is down the road from the other and the yankee who bought the land between and that is not the way they do it where he is from...................Oh yeah, you were born in Charleston in 1960? Deer dogging was it for all the 70's/80's with a little still hunting. So I guess you did not hunt then?

Move on, you whole arguement is "we always did it this way and now your buying land and we can't do what we want...wah wah" . All you have to do is follow the law and run your dogs ONLY where you have permission. Simple, easy, just do it and there are no more problems. Think you can handle that to save what you like to do? I guess it's easier to get on the internet and blame everyone else for your problems? Just do it right and you won't have any issues. You got no arguement here, no leg to stand on...now go away, this same ole crap is getting old.

Quote Originally Posted by 8pointduck View Post
    Born and raised on the Navy base. You have shallow ties. So don't try it ''SKIPPY''. Step up, don't be shy. You want what you want. Stop lying saying if they do this or that. You want it gone. Screw them, right. You are the one that rthomas4 was talking about. The harder you push, the harder you will get pushed back. How can dog hunters do it right when one tract is down the road from the other and the yankee who bought the land between and that is not the way they do it where he is from...................Oh yeah, you were born in Charleston in 1960? Deer dogging was it for all the 70's/80's with a little still hunting. So I guess you did not hunt then?
    You should buy out that owner If you want to hold on to old traditions, invest in it. Until then, keep your dogs off his land. You aren't entitled to use it without permission.

Erecting a low fence is not difficult. If you can't control your property (dogs) you can't demand another person to accept your inability and allow you to infringe on them due to your failures. This is the problem America. Failures wanting to partake in the success other and feel entitled no matter the excuse they make up.

If a person purchases land they should have 100% how it is utilized. If dog hunters don't accept basic property rights they need to go away quicker than BLM and antifa both are cut from the logical cloth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    "Knowledge is true opinion." ~ Plato

"We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive. "-Aldo Leopold

Move on, you whole arguement is "we always did it this way and now your buying land and we can't do what we want...wah wah" . All you have to do is follow the law and run your dogs ONLY where you have permission. Simple, easy, just do it and there are no more problems. Think you can handle that to save what you like to do? I guess it's easier to get on the internet and blame everyone else for your problems? Just do it right and you won't have any issues. You got no arguement here, no leg to stand on...now go away, this same ole crap is getting old.
    Oh lord, who is doing the crying. Do it the way I want or else. It is your land remember. I have already posted that . Can't handle it can you. But, you are the one who keeps responding. The thing is , I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM. Never did.We don't have Jackleggs here in the lowcountry. Where I am anyway, so all your I don't have a leg to stand on garbage don't apply. Yeah, your getting very tiring. So why don't you stop. Remember, your the one to come here and start crap.

Quote Originally Posted by 8pointduck View Post
    Oh lord, who is doing the crying. Do it the way I want or else. It is your land remember. I have already posted that . Can't handle it can you. But, you are the one who keeps responding. The thing is , I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM. Never did.We don't have Jackleggs here in the lowcountry. Where I am anyway, so all your I don't have a leg to stand on garbage don't apply. Yeah, your getting very tiring. So why don't you stop. Remember, your the one to come here and start crap.
    Seriously skippy, you came here and posted in a thread that hadn't been bumped in 6 months, do you even read what you post? A jar of peanut butter could make a better arguement than you have here. If dumb was money you could buy the low country and have it all to yourself. I expect next you will threaten to whup me, that's you rogue doggers usual move at this point. This is just another typical deer dogging thread where some people want thier property rights respected and some whine thier "heritage" is being stolen from them because they can't run wild on everyone elses property without being called on it. So I'm out, nothing to see here, post a few more times so you feel like you won the internet and feel good about yourself, later.

And wtf is an 8pointduck anyway?

I love how some are blaming "non-native" South Carolinians (like there's some sort of conspiracy) for their lack of ability to control their hounds AND they get mad when someone complains about their hounds running on the property of others. Don't blame your inadequacies and failures on others' lack of tolerance. You brought it on yourselves.

Sadly, the unapologetic unwilling to compromise attitude on display here is the very reason dog hunting will be a thing of the past one day. I honestly believe this attitude is not indicative of the majority of dog hunters but as is the case with many things in our society, the one screaming baby in the nursery garners all of the attention. If the defense of your "tradition" is to accept zero responsibility while pointing the finger of blame at everyone else, YOU will have no one to blame but YOURSELVES when the first day of the permanent ban on dog hunting rolls around. Granted, we all know you'll continue to blame your wrongdoing and failures on others and accept no responsibility for what truly led to the demise. Here's a word some of you need to learn....ACCOUNTABILITY.

Instead of a ban on dog hunting, I'd love to see a ban on the mentality I just described. There's something I'm sure the majority of hunters could get behind.
    “In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -Thomas Paine

As a former dog hunter I believe that most sincerely do try to be good neighbors and only run their dogs where they have the legal right to do so. At the same time I'm aware that on occasions, despite the best intentions, it isn't always 100% possible to keep hounds contained within the proper boundaries. It appears from the discussions, arguments, and diatribes posted here that different areas of the state have different attitudes towards the property rights of landowners and lessees. Growing up in the LowCountry it was unheard of for anyone to ever complain about hounds getting on their property........what was a problem then and still is today, is when the doggers indiscriminantly drive across private property and ignore the "no trespassing signs". What landowners also need to recognize is that it wasn't that many years ago when a hunter didn't need permission to recover a deer or a hound from such lands.
    No matter how conscientous the dog owner is, there is still room for improvement on their part to do everything in their power to keep the hounds within the proper boundaries; but more so for them to also honor those property owners rights and not drive or enter properties they don't have permission to be on.
    We also have to admit whether one is pro or con on the issue that attitudes have changed and those changes began to occur with the influx of non-resident hunters and absentee land owners from out of state; and even more so with the rise in popularity of archery hunting. Also, let's face it property values have placed the purchase price well beyond the means of most of the blue collar working man's financial abilities and this is mainly due to Yankees who have to spend more to acquire land and build homes in order to avoid paying huge capital gains taxes. This is not too mention the deep pockets many of the non-residents have who are willing to pay premium prices for leased properties and hunting rights, if not purchasing those lands outright. It's become much more difficult for the average dog club to get members who can afford the high price of joining in order to pay the inflated fees required these days to get a lease. So, as the size of the lease continues to decline, the higher the incidence of conflicts also begin to occur.

Insane and argumentative debate isn't going to solve the issue and unfortunetly for those of us who love running dogs we must continue to adapt to the changing world we now find ourselves and our passion having to live in. Whining, beitching, and complaining isn't going to solve the problem and for those who can't face reality they will find themselves on the outside looking in when dog hunting is finally a thing of the past.
    NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, Palmetto Gun Rights, NAGR, GOA, Second Amendment Foundation, and proud SC redneck still flying The Stars and Bars.

Seriously skippy, you came here and posted in a thread that hadn't been bumped in 6 months, do you even read what you post? A jar of peanut butter could make a better arguement than you have here. If dumb was money you could buy the low country and have it all to yourself. I expect next you will threaten to whup me, that's you rogue doggers usual move at this point. This is just another typical deer dogging thread where some people want thier property rights respected and some whine thier "heritage" is being stolen from them because they can't run wild on everyone elses property without being called on it. So I'm out, nothing to see here, post a few more times so you feel like you won the internet and feel good about yourself, later.

And wtf is an 8pointduck anyway?
    Well I know how old it was and that means what? Mine is not an argument it is a statement of the truth. Everything I posted has been proven. But, you seem to want to keep it all alive. My last post should have been good enough to end it but you just will not let it. Like a woman who has to get the last word. I said it was your land, go run naked around on it. I said doggers have let this happen to themselves, so why would I argue the point. You have the so called rogue doggers, whatever that is, running rampant around you, I gave you a reason why that might be. A reason was given for why you get resistance from them. No one ever could run rampant on anyone's property. So your perception of that is wrong. You were asked, since your biological age, and fact you were born in Charleston, what form of hunting did you do way back when. No answer. Your attitude , not your words prove that you are just salivating for dogging to be abolished. Dog hunters catch it from all sides. Antihunters would love to kill it. Then they get it from other hunters. But you don't give a crap as long as you do it your way. They can just go screw themselves. They are just a low form of life, is that it? The one thing I should have asked in the beginning is , ''do they intentionally start a drive on your property. Do they come in ,set out standers, then have the drivers let the dogs go. If yes, I will call the warden for you. But loose dogs sometimes get away. As far as the insults , you don't bother me. As for as feeling good about something like this; how can anyone in the hunting community feel good about infighting between each other.

As a former dog hunter I believe that most sincerely do try to be good neighbors and only run their dogs where they have the legal right to do so. At the same time I'm aware that on occasions, despite the best intentions, it isn't always 100% possible to keep hounds contained within the proper boundaries. It appears from the discussions, arguments, and diatribes posted here that different areas of the state have different attitudes towards the property rights of landowners and lessees. Growing up in the LowCountry it was unheard of for anyone to ever complain about hounds getting on their property........what was a problem then and still is today, is when the doggers indiscriminantly drive across private property and ignore the "no trespassing signs". What landowners also need to recognize is that it wasn't that many years ago when a hunter didn't need permission to recover a deer or a hound from such lands.
    No matter how conscientous the dog owner is, there is still room for improvement on their part to do everything in their power to keep the hounds within the proper boundaries; but more so for them to also honor those property owners rights and not drive or enter properties they don't have permission to be on.
    We also have to admit whether one is pro or con on the issue that attitudes have changed and those changes began to occur with the influx of non-resident hunters and absentee land owners from out of state; and even more so with the rise in popularity of archery hunting. Also, let's face it property values have placed the purchase price well beyond the means of most of the blue collar working man's financial abilities and this is mainly due to Yankees who have to spend more to acquire land and build homes in order to avoid paying huge capital gains taxes. This is not too mention the deep pockets many of the non-residents have who are willing to pay premium prices for leased properties and hunting rights, if not purchasing those lands outright. It's become much more difficult for the average dog club to get members who can afford the high price of joining in order to pay the inflated fees required these days to get a lease. So, as the size of the lease continues to decline, the higher the incidence of conflicts also begin to occur.

Insane and argumentative debate isn't going to solve the issue and unfortunetly for those of us who love running dogs we must continue to adapt to the changing world we now find ourselves and our passion having to live in. Whining, beitching, and complaining isn't going to solve the problem and for those who can't face reality they will find themselves on the outside looking in when dog hunting is finally a thing of the past.
    Thank you sir for your words. I have to admit I am sort of a poser.There are people on here that are going to cuss me and call me some pretty colorful names but I don't care. I am not trolling. I have not dog hunted in many a year. So why did I come hear making all these waves? The same reason you described in your posts. I find it so amusing how someone can come to where people have been all their lives and push, pull and force their way on them. I here it all the time from natives of several states in the Southeast. As far as respect. You don't see it anymore from the majority. I have never known anyone who would go on someone's property to get a dog. We always would ride the roads or someone would gladly call us if they found one. But, if this is a problem today, it is because of a generational change. Bowhunting is not new to the state. I was doing it in 1981. Rifle hunting too. Nothing new under the sun. Everything else you have already posted.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456