Whitetails Unlimited TaxidermyWhitetails Unlimited Taxidermy

Thread: Where's the 3-d shooters?

Default Where's the 3-d shooters?

Where's everyone at? After about 2 years of not making time to shoot any 3-d, I made it a point to shoot some this year. So far I've shot 3 tournaments. I forgot how much I enjoy it. Who else has been shoot some 3-d?

I've shot 3 so far myself. I saw where you have done well. Me....not so much! I'm shooting the indoor league at Keowee again this year and have been getting over to Saluda River Archery for their indoor money shoots on Thursday evenings. Vegas State Championship this weekend.
    You can have your own opinion but you can't make up your own facts !

I've been shooting the 50 yard known class with my 30" ATA hunting set up, so I'm at a disadvantage before I even hit the range. Lol. I just do it for fun though. If I mess around and win a few here or there that's just a bonus. I'm rolling around the idea of getting me a dedicated 3-d/target bow, but not sure I want to sink the money in one. Ive never shot one with bars and lens, so I'm not sure how much of a difference I would see over just my hunting setup. I've never shot indoor, but I'm sure it's fun.

I switched to an open class rig this year but still without a lens. My scores are about the same as with my bowhunter stuff for 3-D and the indoor games. The single pin helps more than the front bar.
    You should try a few of the indoor shoots. Mostly a mental game but it will show any flaws in your shot process.

I switched to a single pin for hunting several years ago. After missing a few deer, then thinking back and not knowing what pin I even used, I made the switch. I love the single pin. I always had problems focusing on a pin with my multi pin sight. Everything was just a blur. I'll look in to the indoor stuff. I'm not free again until the next shoot at Keowee the 11th I think.

Do these 3Ds have a "for fun" class? I'd like to shoot but will not be competitive due to not practicing like I should. Maybe a class I can show up with a hunting rig and not get laughed off the property? If so, anyway I can view a schedule??
    I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen; not because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.

What's insane is people who think the Goverment removing rights from responsible people will somehow keep them safe.

Yes they do. They have all different kinds of classes. There is a 30 and a 40 yards max class just for hunting set ups. Don't sell yourself short thought, you'd be surprised how many people can talk about how good they can shoot, but not many can back it up. There are a few others I have found that are not on this schedule, not sure about in your beck of the woods.
    IMG_1649.jpg

I am interested in getting into these too. How many arrows do you get to shoot. What is an appropriate amount of arrows to have. By known I am guessing that the target distance is known and not for 3d. Sorry for all the silly questions I have been on the scarchery.com web sight. I see keowee bow men has a membership. Would I be better off showing up on a shoot date or going to Saluda river shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by dayman View Post
    I am interested in getting into these too. How many arrows do you get to shoot. What is an appropriate amount of arrows to have. By known I am guessing that the target distance is known and not for 3d. Sorry for all the silly questions I have been on the scarchery.com web sight. I see keowee bow men has a membership. Would I be better off showing up on a shoot date or going to Saluda river shoot.

Check out the SCAA schedule and see whats coming up. There is a 3-D or Field shoot almost every weekend. There should be a class for everyone regardless of ability. The known yardage classes are the most popular now days and a rangefinder is used in these classes.
    A few arrows should get you through a 3-D range. Most 3-D courses are set up with 25 targets, 1 arrow per target so 25 arrows are scored. For the Field games, a 900 round is a total of 90 arrows for the entire game. Field and Hunter round is 28 stations with 4 arrows at each station for a 112 arrow total in those games. The international is 20 stations, 3 arrows each for a total of 60 arrows. The max arrows from one position would be 6 in the 900 Round, 4 in the Field and hunter rounds and 3 in the international round. A few extra will not hurt.
    Last edited by NP Archery; 03-10-2017 at 09:04 AM.