Whitetails Unlimited TaxidermyWhitetails Unlimited Taxidermy

Thread: Hunting in Alligator Infested Water?

Default Hunting in Alligator Infested Water?

Hey guys, I didnt grow up in an area where there are alligators, so I do not have much experience with them. I primarily duck hunt with my friend on his property in Allendale county near the savannah river. There is a pond and a huge swamp on the property. We know that there are alligators in both the swamp and the pond. Neither are accessible by boat, so we just stand out there in our waders and hide in the weeds. Where we hunt it's approximately 3-4 feet deep, deep enough where the water comes up to our chest. My friend always says that we don't need to worry about gators cuz they don't mess with humans and usually it's cold during duck season anyways... Is it still safe to hunt out there though? Last January, there were a few days where it was almost 80 degrees and we were hunting out there. It made me really nervous to stand out there in murky water that is around 4 foot deep, and we went back out that night and saw a couple gators as soon as we shined flashlights... we've never been out there and not killed ducks, but it makes me nervous. Am I being paranoid or is there actually a decent chance of an alligator messing with one of us? Does anyone else on here wade out in water where you know there's gators during duck season?

And with that being said... I've been praying I draw a gator tag this year

Alligators are pretty common everywhere I hunt Deer. Very wary of them and have had some really close up encounters with them over the years. Not really afraid of them though...I worry more about all the Cottonmouths that live in the same spots. Hoping for a tag as well this season...
    http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sport037.gif

Gators eat duck dogs if you ain't careful. They don't eat for about 4-6 months in the cold months though and in January you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Conservation will ultimately boil down to rewarding the private landowner who conserves the public interest.”

Personally I'd worry more about the cottonmouths.

^^^^That comment^^^

I live and hunt in the swamp, gators are the least of my hunting worries.

I've never even seen a cottonmouth before. So none of you guys worry about gators attacking you when you wade in water? I guess I'm worried about the wrong thing... I'll keep an eye out for the snakes

Quote Originally Posted by tsfallbrook View Post
    I've never even seen a cottonmouth before. So none of you guys worry about gators attacking you when you wade in water? I guess I'm worried about the wrong thing... I'll keep an eye out for the snakes
    Not really, they'll go out of their way to avoid you once they see what you are. Sometimes it's a draw as to who scared who the worst though when unexpected close encounters occur...
    http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sport037.gif

Drowning is a bigger risk. Learn the NOAA flood levels for where you want to hunt and refer to that website before hunting.

Normally after Thanksgiving the gators are in the mode to hibernate. However, you will see them out on sunny, warm days. From what I have always been told during the months that the gators are looking to hibernate, the gators do not feed. This does not mean that I take that for granted with dogs retrieving. But, I will add that I have had a gator cruise through decoys and dead ducks on the water in front of the blind and the gator never change course towards the free and easy meal.

If you are swatting mosquitoes on a duck hunt, then I would be cautious towards the dog, if it is duck weather I would doubt that the gators will be a problem. As far as a gator attacking me while in the duck marsh. no I do not worry. I only worry about the dogs

Gators do not hibernate for long periods in SC. They may go to a den for a day or so in very cold weather but come back out frequently even when it is cold. I hunted Murphy Island near Georgetown a number of years ago and there was a monster of a gator on the dike where we were supposed to take our boat out and it was 23 degrees that morning. Another trip to the same place we hit a gator with the boat motor on another very cold morning. Like other animals, they do not eat as much and are kind of lethargic during the very cold times. I still take my dog generally but keep him fairly close by me. I killed a cottonmouth in the middle of January 2 years ago in Calhoun County on a duck hunt that I talked about in another thread.
    I only hunt on days that end in "y".