Camera Land, IncAdvertise on SCON

Thread: Lil'Red & A Big Redfish...

Default Lil'Red & A Big Redfish...

She wanted to go back to Jason's Lake one more time, so we went early this morning. She caught the first Red about 10 minutes after we launched our Canoe, which was about average sized. About 5 minutes later as we were working baits close to the bank in 2 feet of water, her popping cork went under again and she set the hook.
    Didn't seem any different than any of the other Reds she has caught...until the fish headed out across the Lake, screaming the line from her reel, and all she could do was hold on tight to her rod, while saying "I can't stop it, it won't slow down!!!" I just told her to hold on, but after about 70 yards of line peeled off her reel with no sign of slowing down I figured her drag must be set to low. I eased up behind her and reached around to tighten her drag almost all the way down, and the fish still kept running.
    It finally broke the surface about 100 yards away and she said " WOW Dad!!!, That's a BIG fish!!! " It then made a dash from left to right that was probably 60 yards long, dragging the Canoe along in the process. Then it headed back in our direction looking like a Torpedo just under the surface pushing a wake.
    The fish passed close enough to us heading back toward where it was first hooked, which gave us a good look at it as it went by. The head looked about 8 inches wide...
    It took her about 5 more minutes to get it close enough to net, and it was doubled up in the net with it's nose and tail sticking out of the net. I placed one of the boat cushions in her lap, and set the fish on it so she could prop it up for a couple of pictures, since there was no way she was going to be able to hold it otherwise. Had to have her paddle us around while I held the fish to get water to flow through it's gills to bring it back up to speed...and got a shower after a couple of minutes when it splashed off.

She said she didn't care if she caught another fish the rest of the day, getting up at 4:30am was WORTH IT!!!

She caught about 6 more average sized Reds after the big one. Then let me toss a topwater plug while she paddled, since her wrists hurt to much to keep fishing...

She was using a SaltWater Assassin - Sea Shad - in - Electric Chicken, fished under a popping cork. Seems to be the best rig for this place. The topwater is fun, but you miss most of the strikes, but I like to see them crash a topwater even so.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stlhunr; 07-28-2017 at 02:07 PM.
    http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sport037.gif

Monster fish.

excellent!!!
    Take your kids hunting and fishing...no experience like it!!!!!

Follow us on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/BoneHeadHuntClub

http://www.facebook.com/RunningwithDanny

Like our page and join in the fight to Find the Cure for Cystic Fibrosis.

Knuckles!
    Yippee Ki Yay

Awesome awesome post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Conservation will ultimately boil down to rewarding the private landowner who conserves the public interest.”

,,,,,sounds like you took a knife to a gun fight. Good job.
    Capt Rick Hiott
    Charleston,SC

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Rick Hiott View Post
    ,,,,,sounds like you took a knife to a gun fight. Good job.
    Wasn't expecting to get into a gun fight there. Just glad I had 30# braid on her reel which gave her a little bigger knife...

That's GREAT!!
    Some people don't realize that when you use light tackle on red drum (Like 10lb test) you can fight the fish to death.
    The hotter the water temp, the less oxygen content it has. Get the fish to the boat as fast as you can, and have the camera ready.
    I used to tell my clients that when we were fishing for the giant red drum.
    Capt Rick Hiott
    Charleston,SC

She don't fish....she goes catching��
    Yippee Ki Yay

Quote Originally Posted by Jester896 View Post
    She don't fish....she goes catching��
    When people ask her if she caught anything after a fishing trip, she says " why go fishing if you aren't going to any catch fish? "

Yippee Ki Yay

Good stuff, thanks for sharing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    "Knowledge is true opinion." ~ Plato

"We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive. "-Aldo Leopold