Whitetails Unlimited TaxidermyCamera Land, Inc

Thread: 2004 Browning BAR ShortTrac 270WSM ( new to me )

Default 2004 Browning BAR ShortTrac 270WSM ( new to me )

Brought this one home today -- been wanting to try the 270WSM caliper for awhile & this one, worked out for me** -- looks like the rifle was never taken into the woods & fired only a few times ?? --the Leupold VX2 scope, is xxxtra clear also** --anyone shoot this caliper ?? what bullet you prefer 150gr. or 130gr. ??? __ (I seldom / never have a shot over 100yds. ) --- hope it's not too much recoil for this ""Ol' Man""

IMG_2149 (2).jpgIMG_2146 (3).jpg

If you want speed. Stay with the lighter bullet..........

Nice gun. If you decide to sale it at any point let me know. Thanks

Big Monk my Browning M-1000 Eclipse likes the Federal 140s the best next to my hand loads. It has a pretty good punch too if you use IMR4350 and it is much heavier than your rifle. Just settle in and shoot it...with your teeth closed Whole lotta speed for inside 100. The Federal 140 Bonded run about 3200 fps so you will not have to drop bullet weight to get speed...that right there is screamin
    Yippee Ki Yay

I don't really know or understand about all that ""speed"" you speak of ??? I got a couple of boxes ammo in the deal -- Winchester 150gr. SuperX ( 3150 fps ) and a box of Winchester 130gr. Ballistic Silvertip ( 3275 fps ) -- I'm just reading this off the boxes** -- normally only shoot 150gr. in my .308 & 30-06 -- this thing with 130gr. is ""Hot,Hot""

comparing my other calipers using Hornaby Superformance SST _____ 117gr. 25-06 ( 3110 fps ) - 130gr. 270 ( 3200 fps ) - 150gr. 308 ( 3000 fps )
    __________________________using____Federal Nosler Partition _____ 115gr.-------- ( 2990 fps ) --130gr.------ (3060 fps ) - 150gr.----- ( 2840 fps )

asking a question -- what makes the Hornaby Superformance SST faster than Federal ?? more powder,I would think ?? does faster bullet have more ""energy / knock down"" ?? that seems to be what I read on the box ??? they all kill deer,if you put it in the right spot*** -- out of them all, seems the .270 is the flattest shooting, of them all,according to the charts ??

The powder I think...and Hornady seats their bullets in ammo they load to the cannalure and crimps it. When they do this I think it may increase pressure which may in fact increase velocity...the combustion chamber it smaller. not sure there is science along with that other than the seating it deeper part. I know I get 2995 with the load I use in my .25-06 with 117 Interlocks. I don't seat them like the book suggests...I seat them like Hornady does to the cannalure on their factory rounds..I don't get the results I want with Superformance ammo...think they are hotter than they need to be and not as accurate...for me.

ya gotta watch out reading the box..YMMV
    Yippee Ki Yay

I shoot 140 grain Nosler ballistic tips and 140 grain Nosler accubonds out of my 270 wsm. The ballistic tips work awesome for deer at around 3,100 fps and I dropped an elk with the 140 grain accubond
    .45-70 is the only Government I trust...

I shoot 130 gr. Nosler ballistic tips, recoil not any different than my 308. Lots of bad medicine for whitetail deer out to 300 yds.

Thor`s hammer. I took 3 bucks and a doe in 2014 using .270wsm Federal Hydra-Shok 130gr. Aim for the shoulder, then up about 1 1/2 - 2 inches, between the shoulder top and below the spine. No organs there, but it`s so close to the spine the hydrashok affects the spine as if it were a direct hit into the spine. The deer will drop where it stands. You won`t need to follow a blood trail. Little to no meat loss. This load has more energy and more velocity than a 7mm mag with 150 gr. On paper target, the holes will/nearly touch @ 100 yds. A-bolt stainless stalker.
    Last edited by RobertSC; 08-24-2017 at 09:06 AM.

Big Monk...if you reload I have a new bag of 50 Winchester cases for .270WSM if you need them.
    Yippee Ki Yay

Quote Originally Posted by Jester896 View Post
    Big Monk...if you reload I have a new bag of 50 Winchester cases for .270WSM if you need them.

thanks for the kind offer Jester -- but I don't reload -- just buy the factory stuff ***

Quote Originally Posted by coltismyfav View Post
    Nice gun. If you decide to sale it at any point let me know. Thanks
    sent you an e-mail**

Quote Originally Posted by RobertSC View Post
    Thor`s hammer. I took 3 bucks and a doe in 2014 using .270wsm Federal Hydra-Shok 130gr. Aim for the shoulder, then up about 1 1/2 - 2 inches, between the shoulder top and below the spine. No organs there, but it`s so close to the spine the hydrashok affects the spine as if it were a direct hit into the spine. The deer will drop where it stands. You won`t need to follow a blood trail. Little to no meat loss. This load has more energy and more velocity than a 7mm mag with 150 gr. On paper target, the holes will/nearly touch @ 100 yds. A-bolt stainless stalker.
    ​CORRECTION: The top part of the lungs are in this area.

just back from the shooting range -- the 270WSM shoots really well, and the recoil is about the same as my 308 / 30-06 ( not bad** ) -- I didn't have a laser bore site for that caliper & the first shot didn't hit paper** after getting it on paper,the Leupold zeroed in after 4 more shots,then,the last three shots covered a quarter @ 60 yds --- I always site my scopes @ 60 yds., cause where I hunt,I only have shots from 100yds. or less -- has always worked for me** --- also shot my Rem.25-06 bolt / Savage 308 bolt,Browning 270 automatic, & the Browning 7mm-08 lever rifle -- all are ready for the season to start !!!! __________wishing all good luck,Monk**