Camera Land, IncCamera Land, Inc
Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Ice is broken early this season

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Andrews
    Posts
    1,102

    Default Ice is broken early this season

    Sept 12th Buck.jpg

    180lbs and 16" wide. Nice buck to break the ice on this season. I still might get fined on my club because one point is a little short. Oh well, the fine is not that much, and a 180lbs buck is a dang nice deer. I had about 4 seconds to make the shot at 300 yards in a 12ft bushhogged lane with him hot on a doe. I won. He lost. I'm not the best at judging their antler size, but if I get crosshairs on it, it is as good as dead. 300 Win Mag with Berger 168gr Classic Hunters I reload myself. He made it about 20 yards...if that.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Chesterfield/Marlboro
    Posts
    3,777

    Default

    Congrats on the kill.

    Not trying to nock your deer, but as for what you said about your club fine....

    I don't think that deer should fall under a fine. He looks like he's old enough and his body is big enough to where if he was going to have trophy rack it would be larger than it is. IMO he's a good example of a buck that just didn't have the genetics to be a large racked buck.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Andrews
    Posts
    1,102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleLungRage View Post
    Congrats on the kill.

    Not trying to nock your deer, but as for what you said about your club fine....

    I don't think that deer should fall under a fine. He looks like he's old enough and his body is big enough to where if he was going to have trophy rack it would be larger than it is. IMO he's a good example of a buck that just didn't have the genetics to be a large racked buck.
    Agreed! But, the rules got to where they are for a reason. By making exceptions too often, what was being shot slipped more and more. So, the rules just came to hard and fast rules for the most part. The gentleman that runs it killed an absolute giant year before last that was just a 7 point. He paid his fine too. The rules go two ways. We can shoot 5 with 15" and 8 points. Or, we can shoot three not within the rules and a fine comes with each of those three, and the fine increases for each of the three. The first one is $100....not chump change, but not all that much money either. And, the fine goes into buying corn. Our membership pays for the leases and all our corn for the season. 2200 acres and 9 members with 23 stands. So, with the exception of one of his points being short, yes, 180lbs buck is not a baby in SC.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    2,024

    Default

    Nice kill!

    2200 acres with 9 members and each can kill 5 bucks? Just curious...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Conservation will ultimately boil down to rewarding the private landowner who conserves the public interest.”

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Andrews
    Posts
    1,102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post
    Nice kill!

    2200 acres with 9 members and each can kill 5 bucks? Just curious...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes; however, it is just the opportunity to shoot 5. Only 12 were taken last season and that is about the average.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    2,024

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter22 View Post
    Yes; however, it is just the opportunity to shoot 5. Only 12 were taken last season and that is about the average.
    Right on!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Conservation will ultimately boil down to rewarding the private landowner who conserves the public interest.”

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Piedmont of SC
    Posts
    6,494

    Default

    Congrats.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    "Knowledge is true opinion." ~ Plato

    "We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive. "-Aldo Leopold

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    SC Low Country-(Walterboro)
    Posts
    6,042

    Default

    Congrats and thats a fine buck any where. A Shooter in my eyes-----



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Simpsonville
    Posts
    704

    Default

    Congrats
    Be careful even monkeys fall out of trees. www.whitetailsunlimitedtaxidermy.com www.swampboogers.com

    SPONSOR

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    upstate
    Posts
    4,862

    Default

    Its out of velvet I see. Nice buck.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    SW GA
    Posts
    8,136

    Default

    Good Start!
    Yippee Ki Yay

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Greenwood, SC
    Posts
    211

    Default

    nice work!

  13. #13

    Default

    On a doe already? Kind of early rut isn't it?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Andrews
    Posts
    1,102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SnakebyteSC View Post
    On a doe already? Kind of early rut isn't it?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

    I don't think he is was really "in the rut," but he was certainly dogging that doe for the short amount of time I got to look at him. He was definitely starting to think about the girls. In my area, they bust wide open after the does by the first week in October.

  15. #15

    Default

    Cool nice kill. I hunt with a dog club in Bowman, SC. We jump a nice buck, but the man behind the gun. Well who knows what happened. He had a million stories. Manage to kill 3 doe.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Hampton, SC
    Posts
    5,055

    Default

    The antler restriction rules simply don't make good sense, much less good deer management. The deer I killed Friday was only a six point, but 160 lbs and aged at 3 1/2. I knew this deer since I'd had trail camera pics of him since he was a yearling six. He was easy to recognize due to the shape of his rack. BTW, when he walked up to the corn pile he did something I'd never seen a buck do. He actually used his head and rack to push a good sized doe off of the corn.
    NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, Palmetto Gun Rights, NAGR, GOA, Second Amendment Foundation, and proud SC redneck still flying The Stars and Bars.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Andrews
    Posts
    1,102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rthomas4 View Post
    The antler restriction rules simply don't make good sense, much less good deer management. The deer I killed Friday was only a six point, but 160 lbs and aged at 3 1/2. I knew this deer since I'd had trail camera pics of him since he was a yearling six. He was easy to recognize due to the shape of his rack. BTW, when he walked up to the corn pile he did something I'd never seen a buck do. He actually used his head and rack to push a good sized doe off of the corn.
    While I agree, it evolved to those rules. They tried age/body size before, but people screwed that up WAY too much. So, they went to antler restrictions. The fines are more of a deterrent and not much to get into a twist about because it is not that much. $100 for the first one, $150 for the second, and no more hunting on the third. Im fine with it because the opportunity is there for a real monster. I actually witnessed the same thing twice last week. I watched a big doe beat the piss out of a little spike three times as he tried to get some corn. Then, a small six point walked up, and the doe tried that nonsense with him...he wasn't having it, and he lowered his head and started walking at her. She backed right off. The other instance was a buck about the same size. Instead, he just dove in at them and scattered all the does with his head down. Pretty neat to watch.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    SW GA
    Posts
    8,136

    Default

    one of the places I hunt...the rules are...shoot it if you are going to mount it...if you shoot it and aren't going to mount it...pony up $250
    Yippee Ki Yay

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Andrews
    Posts
    1,102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jester896 View Post
    one of the places I hunt...the rules are...shoot it if you are going to mount it...if you shoot it and aren't going to mount it...pony up $250
    How many are you allowed?

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    SW GA
    Posts
    8,136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter22 View Post
    How many are you allowed?
    GA's restrictions are 2
    Yippee Ki Yay

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Andrews
    Posts
    1,102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jester896 View Post
    GA's restrictions are 2
    Two trophy bucks is not bad. We prefer a "trophy" buck, but it is a lot of $$$ to possibly walk away at the end of the season with nothing...with so MANY deer. Seeing 20 to 50 deer in a two hour sit is not uncommon at all.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •