Advertise on SCONUTS Web Solutions

Thread: Solar Panels

Default Solar Panels

Anyone went solar yet? Lets hear some reviews.
    Be careful even monkeys fall out of trees. www.whitetailsunlimitedtaxidermy.com www.swampboogers.com

SPONSOR

No but I have been looking at the solar shingles as I am near a roof replacement anyway. I was wondering if they have a metal roof with solar panel built in as I am looking at a metal roof also.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

I have solar and it works lol, I did not install enough to bring my bill down to $.0 but having 8 more install next week and that should do it. call more that one company for prices they will give you a hi pressure sales pitch to try and get you to sign, you want to get them in a bidding war. and all this talk about no cost systems don't you believe it. these systems are expensive and you pay up front , 30% fed tax credit. 25% state tax credit max amount you can claim in a year is 1/2 of what you pay and have 10 years to use the credit, duke power will pay you $1.00 per kw of your system. my power bill was running $100.00 to $250.00, now $25.00 to $80.00 the 80 was August, June and July was $50.00. ask any questions you want and I will try to answer.

Quote Originally Posted by jack knife View Post
    I have solar and it works lol, I did not install enough to bring my bill down to $.0 but having 8 more install next week and that should do it. call more that one company for prices they will give you a hi pressure sales pitch to try and get you to sign, you want to get them in a bidding war. and all this talk about no cost systems don't you believe it. these systems are expensive and you pay up front , 30% fed tax credit. 25% state tax credit max amount you can claim in a year is 1/2 of what you pay and have 10 years to use the credit, duke power will pay you $1.00 per kw of your system. my power bill was running $100.00 to $250.00, now $25.00 to $80.00 the 80 was August, June and July was $50.00. ask any questions you want and I will try to answer.
    +

If the electrical power grid is down are you able to re-direct solar power to power your own home, neighbor's home? What do you do with the excess power when the grid is down? Do you have battery storage or are you 100% going to the grid with the excess?
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

right now I am 100% grid, I am going to explore batteries after I get the new panels installed next week.

Can you run part or all of your house on the solar if the grid is down? What is the wattage output currently?
    Henry Ford

no mine is grid only right now that is the reason for the battery. and I don't know why it will not use the power it is making when the grid is down but I plan on finding out more on this next week.

Quote Originally Posted by jack knife View Post
    no mine is grid only right now that is the reason for the battery. and I don't know why it will not use the power it is making when the grid is down but I plan on finding out more on this next week.
    For one you would have to disconnect from the grid first then connect to the house. If you put power on the grid it could cause a problem for repairmen working on the line. My thoughts are if it has enough power to run much on the house and the output would vary with sunlight. It should at least produce enough to run some lights and maybe a radio..
    Henry Ford

the power poles where my power comes from has warning flags for the line men to alert them that my line could be hot. I also found out that the system or converter has to have power to convert the dc power from the panels to ac. yall have me working today, but learning is good.

- - - Updated - - -

Iceman I do have a disconnect at my power meter

- - - Updated - - -

also have 2 meters

all the inverters I have ever messed with are low wattage but dc to ac inverters which were DC powered. I will have to dig into this power up because even if you have batteries to store power you still have to have an inverter to convert to AC power. Do not plug any appliance into 120 volt DC power unless it is listed as 120 VDC, it will go boom. We have had a lot of guys plug radios into a drop cord coming from our welders which are 120VDC and they don't last long. I need to study this inverter thing a little more.
    Henry Ford