Advertise on SCONWhitetails Unlimited Taxidermy

Thread: Need input on boats

Default Need input on boats

Getting in the market for a 17-18' fishing /family boat. 90% of fishing will be on Lake Moultrie. Will plan to shrimp in it as well. Disadvantages of an aluminum versus fiberglass? Not really caring about top end speed, just need to be able to get off lake when those summer storms blow up. Currently have a 14 ft Hi Tide Super V but I need more room. Any inputs?

Aluminum? They are a rough ride in small waves. Aluminum boats don't fare well hitting oyster bars either as they can get holes torn in them pretty easily. If I was going to get a boat for Moultrie and saltwater it would be fiberglass.
    http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sport037.gif

Like a carolina skiff? Any suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by BBhntr View Post
    Like a carolina skiff? Any suggestions
    Carolina Skiffs ( flat bottoms ) are a pretty rough ride too. Something with a V hull would be my choice, for a better ride in 2+ foot waves.
    http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sport037.gif

Skiffs are a huge pain in the chop but they are awesome for fishing shallow water and just an overall boat. Just know that you will cuss a lot with a 2' chop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Conservation will ultimately boil down to rewarding the private landowner who conserves the public interest.”

Thanks for the insight

There right,,,,I would stay away from the Carolina Skiffs.

Have you looked at Sea Pro?
    I ran charters out of one (21' Bay Boat) for 15 years. I would buy another.....
    Capt Rick Hiott
    Charleston,SC

I have been out in a 17ft Key west on lake and was impressed. Wasn't sure how that would do if I was to use it shrimping? Neighbor has a 19ft SeaPro he brings up to lake. Nice boat but he can't keep the Yamaha on it running

I've been on a friends Key West 1720 and that's a good little boat and layout for what you are describing. He has a 90 Yamaha four stroke on his and it does really good on fuel and pushes it up into the high 30's. There's usually a decent number of them for sale too.

The 1720 Key West center console is a good boat with a Yamaha on it.

You should be able to find a good used one too.......
    Capt Rick Hiott
    Charleston,SC

Quote Originally Posted by BBhntr View Post
    I have been out in a 17ft Key west on lake and was impressed. Wasn't sure how that would do if I was to use it shrimping? Neighbor has a 19ft SeaPro he brings up to lake. Nice boat but he can't keep the Yamaha on it running
    You won't find anything negative about the Yamaha 4 strokes. It's worth buying a Yamaha for resale alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Conservation will ultimately boil down to rewarding the private landowner who conserves the public interest.”

Yes I was really surprised he has had so much issue with this motor. It is a 2014 115 Yamaha and it has not run on at least 6 occasions this summer.