Camera Land, IncAdvertise on SCON

Thread: 20ga gitty up

Default 20ga gitty up

I bought a rem 20ga 1187 a few years back. First barrel had choke drilled tapped crooked. Contacted rem and they sent me a new barrel. Both patterned low, almost the whole pattern below the bead. Finally put a burris FF3 mounted to the receiver, barrel patterned well enough and killed a few turkeys with it that year. Still had the old barrel with crooked choke. Sent it off to Johnny Stone in OK, shotgunchokes.com, and got him to cut it down to 24", thread for choke and put a tru-lock turkey choke in it. This provided there was sufficient barrel thickness still left to do so. I'd polished this one some prior to figuring out the choke was off center, yes duh. Well the barrel was workable and Johnny turned it around much quicker than I expected this past summer. Got around to patterning it during the cooler weather the other week and found it exactly to my liking. Patterns true now. Other patterns were similar but didn't bother to do pellet counts on any but the last, 40yd with hevi 7s. For a 40 yd gun this will cut them all down with the wiggle room I still need for yanked triggers. Others might go after higher 10" numbers but you can't kill them if you can't hit them. Johnny is a stand up guy and has very reasonable prices, did all this work for just over half the cost of a new barrel. Pity he is so far away. If it's out of order to plug him here I'll edit it out but just giving credit where it is due.
    P9250006 (1024x768).jpg
    Worship the LORD, not His creation.
    Palmetto Slam 2012, 2017
    MLPF-Every fish counts

always good to know where another good one is. I ended up doing my last one myself as far as lengthening the forcing cone and polishing the barrel. If you need to do a 12 let me know I have 2 hones...1 chamber and 1 barrel hone.
    Yippee Ki Yay

Thanks friend. I very much appreciate the offer.
    Worship the LORD, not His creation.
    Palmetto Slam 2012, 2017
    MLPF-Every fish counts

Problems with POI are much more common with shotguns than most realize. While most are designed with a 60/40 pattern few have a 50/50 pattern. Most of the magnum shotguns I have patterned unexpectedly shoot low. If any thing they should shoot slightly high. I have a botched choke browning barrel I abandoned. It has,already been cut off and has a slightly off center choke. It may be crooked too but can't see that. Botched barrel job by the previous owner of the barrel. Maybe I can have it repaired but it is already short possibly at the limit. It came with flush choke tubes and with them installed you can't see the off center.
    Last edited by Iceman; 09-28-2017 at 07:00 AM.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Looking forward to seeing the little lady beside a couple big toms! Have loved carrying my little 20 the past two seasons!
    Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10

Proud Student of Hattaway School of Turkey Hunting!

"It's a damn disease is what it is." - Dean "Redbeard" Mundhenke

The Few