Whitetails Unlimited TaxidermyAdvertise on SCON
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this a violation......................................... ......

Default Is this a violation......................................... ......

Lets suppose you hunted hard at the club and managed to get yourself a deer. You gutted, skinned and quartered the deer and placed in a cooler with ice. While on the way home, your stopped and deer (skinned, headless and quartered) is discovered. The animal was destined to get properly process at home and into the freezer. Has any violations taken place ? Meaning, transported headless and not fully packaged for the freezer. Assuming animal was properly tagged at point of kill. Just wondering............

No
    Infamous Beard Buster

Hmmm. Good question. Are you sure about that 3chunter?
    If you think healthcare is expensive now, just wait until you see how expensive it is when it's free.

Tag must be put on the deer before moving it in any fashion. Once quartered the deer doesn't need to be tagged anymore. It doesn't matter if it is quartered 5 minutes after it's killed or five days, once quartered no tag required.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dbenn454 View Post
    Tag must be put on the deer before moving it in any fashion. Once quartered the deer doesn't need to be tagged anymore. It doesn't matter if it is quartered 5 minutes after it's killed or five days, once quartered no tag required.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    x2........Read the regs again.

x3, Clear in the regs.
    Formerly Bill SC Hunter from the SCDNR Forums

Got military surplus weapons you want to get rid of? Lemme know!

Owner/webmaster
    Milsurpshooter.Net

You guys should read FAQs #12, 13 and 14

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/deertags/faqs.html#11

12. We split up the meat at our hunt club after the dog drive. What do we do about the tag?

A deer only has to be tagged from the point of kill until it is processed and cut up. That means once you start cutting it into quarters or parts or boning it out and it’s no longer a whole carcass or skinned carc******************** the tagging requirement goes away. At that point, it is meat and no longer a deer carcass and does not need a tag.

13. I process my own deer at home. When can I remove a tag?

A deer only has to be tagged from the point of kill until it is processed and cut up. That means that it needs to be tagged in the field where you harvest it and remain tagged during transport and if it is being hung whole in a cooler (hide on or skinned & gutted). Once you start cutting it into quarters or parts or boning it out and it’s no longer a whole carcass or skinned carc******************** the tagging requirement goes away. At that point, it is meat and no longer a deer carcass and does not need a tag.

14. I take my deer to a processor but, to save money, I skin and gut it myself and take it to the processor
    in a cooler already quartered or boned out. Does it need to be tagged?

A deer only has to be tagged from the point of kill until it is processed and cut up. That means that it needs to be tagged in the field where you harvest it and remain tagged during transport and if it is being hung whole in a cooler (hide on or skinned & gutted). Once you start cutting it into quarters or parts or boning it out and it’s no longer a whole skinned carc******************** the tagging requirement goes away. At that point, it is meat and no longer a deer carcass and does not need a tag. However, if you are transporting those parts to a processor, it would probably be a good idea, even though it’s not required, to have the tag(s) with the meat. It will make the processor feel better and may save you some time and questions if you encounter a law enforcement officer along the way.

Basically once you cut the deer up, and the carcass is no longer whole, the law reads that you no longer are required to have the carcass tagged. If you process at home, and have quartered the deer at camp before driving home, then you no longer are required to have it tagged

I thought the original law from the GA said from the point of kill to freezer locker (probably meaning processor but could mean you deer cooler) or point of being butchered. The DNR has extended that to hanging in the cooler either locker or your deer cooler. Personally I would put the deer in the ice chest and throw the tag in with it or leave attached to the leg even after quartering it, just to avoid confusion. Hanging deer were ALWAYS supposed to be tagged with the hunter's name, address, and license number anyway.

I would just be careful what you do hand how it is perceived. There are going to be some enforcement on this and I am not sure all GW's know these laws any better than many hunters. Remember this is the first year for the GW's just as it is for hunters. This is really not to difficult just follow the law. I would keep the tag with the animal/meat as long as reasonably possible just to be certain the GW doesn't get the wrong idea. Protect yourself.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

I'd suggest getting and keeping a copy of the rules and regs in the vehicle with those sections highlighted for quick reference, just in case. Most of us can read and understand the law, but not all GW's are smart enough or schooled well enough to know and understand those rules and regs.
    NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, Palmetto Gun Rights, NAGR, GOA, Second Amendment Foundation, and proud SC redneck still flying The Stars and Bars.

Alright, so, if you shoot a deer and quarter it in the field (without having moved the carcass from the spot in which it expired) then you technically do not have to tag it at all?

Anyone else smell a loophole?
    -Gareth

Quote Originally Posted by CUwader View Post
    Alright, so, if you shoot a deer and quarter it in the field (without having moved the carcass from the spot in which it expired) then you technically do not have to tag it at all?

It's illegal to bring a Deer out of the woods with the head detached, so no loophole.
    http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sport037.gif

No violation in that scenario. You are transporting meat instead of a deer after its skinned and quartered. Its clear in the regs. Looks like someone is "looking" for a loophole

Quote Originally Posted by stlhunr View Post
    It's illegal to bring a Deer out of the woods with the head detached, so no loophole.
    It is also illegal to hunt for deer without having on your person a deer tag.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by CUwader View Post

Since all deer must be tagged at the time of recovery and prior to moving it, and any effort to skin, gut, and quarter would require some movement I fail to see a loophole. BTW, the law about being illegal to transport a deer minus the head has always referred to a deer prior to being skinned, even if it was field dressed; but not to one which has been completely cleaned and quartered.
    NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, Palmetto Gun Rights, NAGR, GOA, Second Amendment Foundation, and proud SC redneck still flying The Stars and Bars.

this argument is pretty well defined by most hunters being in agreement with the regs.

Regulation 50-11-400:
    It is unlawful for anyone in this state to have in his possession any deer with the head detached when the person is in transit from any woods, swamps, fields, or roads. Any person convicted of transporting a deer with the head detached must be fined not more than $200 or imprisoned not more than 30 days.

No law against cleaning a deer where it lay and packing out the meat like on an elk hunt.
    Infamous Beard Buster

Quote Originally Posted by 3chunter View Post
    No law against cleaning a deer where it lay and packing out the meat like on an elk hunt.
    Yes there is.

Possessing any deer with the head detached while in transit from the point of kill is prohibited. ( 50-11-400 )

Yes but from what you guys said earlier "you are no longer possessing a deer but possessing meat".

I wouldn't advise do that.
    Henry Ford

Transit from point of kill. Even if you tag the Deer then quarter it right where you killed it, you are still transiting from the point of kill.

Quote Originally Posted by stlhunr View Post
    Transit from point of kill. Even if you tag the Deer then quarter it right where you killed it, you are still transiting from the point of kill.
    I don't REALLY think there is a problem here, do you? Never seen anyone do that.
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    I don't REALLY think there is a problem here, do you? Never seen anyone do that.
    Friends and I used to do it on WMA where we would be hunting 2 or 3 miles, or more, from our trucks. We would check in the kills by phone to a DNR office. Once checked in we cut up the Deer and bought them out. If checked by a Warden we simply told him we had checked the Deer in, they would verify and all was good.

And the beat go on & on & on.

Some just look for a reason to argue. The law is pretty clear on this one. I do agree with rthomas on the statement that it is not a bad thing to have the rules/regs on this new law on hand in the event that the game warden is not up to speed

just from what I have seen posted here...no dog in the hunt really...you should tag that deer while you are rolling it around on the ground while you are quartering it up...once you are finished and it is packed up it is no longer needed. Would you leave the tag on it when you are done or would you bring it out with you?

no you shouldn't remove the head of a deer you are going to transport...can't do that here either. Wouldn't make a difference if you took it to a processor or the cooler in your back yard....you would still need to tag it too.

just don't seem that hard
    Yippee Ki Yay

Again, from the source.
    http://www.dnr.sc.gov/deertags/pdf/deertaggingfaqs.pdf

12) We split up the meat at our hunt club after the dog drive. What do we do about the
    tag?
    A deer only has to be tagged from the point of kill until it is processed and cut up. That
    means once you start cutting it into quarters or parts or boning it out and it’s no longer
    a whole carcass or skinned carc*ss, the tagging requirement goes away. At that point, it
    is meat and no longer a deer carcass and does not need a tag.

13) I process my own deer at home. When can I remove a tag?
    A deer only has to be tagged from the point of kill until it is processed and cut up. That
    means that it needs to be tagged in the field where you harvest it and remain tagged
    during transport and if it is being hung whole in a cooler (hide on or skinned & gutted).
    Once you start cutting it into quarters or parts or boning it out and it’s no longer a whole
    carcass or skinned carc*ss, the tagging requirement goes away. At that point, it is meat
    and no longer a deer carcass and does not need a tag.

14) I take my deer to a processor but, to save money, I skin and gut it myself and take it to
    the processor in a cooler already quartered or boned out. Does it need to be tagged?
    means that it needs to be tagged in the field where you harvest it and remain tagged
    during transport and if it is being hung whole in a cooler (hide on or skinned & gutted).
    Once you start cutting it into quarters or parts or boning it out and it’s no longer a whole
    skinned carc*ss, the tagging requirement goes away. At that point, it is meat and no
    longer a deer carcass and does not need a tag. However, if you are transporting those
    parts to a processor, it would probably be a good idea, even though it’s not required, to
    have the tag(s) with the meat. It will make the processor feel better and may save you
    some time and questions if you encounter a law enforcement officer along the way.

It seems real clear to me. Once the carcass is cut up it no longer requires the tag. It says nothing about a place or location required to cut up the deer. The part I put in bold is only a suggestion, not a regulation.
    Last edited by parallax; 10-16-2017 at 04:44 AM.
    Formerly Bill SC Hunter from the SCDNR Forums

Got military surplus weapons you want to get rid of? Lemme know!

Owner/webmaster
    Milsurpshooter.Net

I just stick tag to cooler just in case.
    When tagging in field I remove just enough of the peel to stick, then remove the rest of the peel at the skinning pole and stick it on cooler.

TVC15

[QUOTE=TVC15;302242]I just stick tag to cooler just in case.
    When tagging in field I remove just enough of the peel to stick, then remove the rest of the peel at the skinning pole and stick it on cooler.

Technically not removing the entire peel and sticking it completely around the ligament in one leg is in itself a violation. Any partial tagging that could result in removal of the tag has always been a violation since a partially applied tag could theoretically be reused, according to what I've heard from some GWs.

Some of you are making this tag thing harder than it has to be.

Shoot yourself a deer. Tag said deer by validating your tag ( notch date, call in or echeck ect... whatever it takes) and attaching the tag to the deer. From that point on, the deer has been legally tagged. Whatever you do to it, keep the tag on it or with it until it makes it's way to a final spot, be it a processor or your freezer and you are good to go.

I've been tagging deer in this manner for more than 15 years and have never had any issues with a processor or LEO.
    You can have your own opinion but you can't make up your own facts !

You can still reuse the full attached tag if you know how to remove it. It is just adhesive. I will give it a try and see if right on this but I think so. I won't tell how to do it but just curious if it can be done. If you slit the tag on the date as instructed that cannot be repaired. An undated tag is a violation also.
    Henry Ford

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast