Advertise on SCONUTS Web Solutions

Thread: Storing Ammuntion

Default Storing Ammuntion

I did a search but could not find much, maybe it was my search terms. I don't have a lot of ammo to store but I was wondering what is the most feasible method to store ammo and protect it from the elements. Did you need a desiccant etc...

Just stack it in a closet. Put in plastic low tubs and slide under beds........ANY enviroment that's good for you is good for storing ammo! BTW I'm shooting ammo from WWII and later(30/06 HXP. From the CMP) that has been stored in NON emviromental controlled areas for many years......And it all goes bang. In other words keep it dry. Keep it away from extreme heat sources and it will out last you.

Ammo cans and desiccant.....

Don't over think it.

Got a couple of totes by Ammo Crate that work great!

Pretty hard to store it wrong. Last a loooooong time. I have mine in a filing cabinet in a spare room. No desiccant.
    If you think healthcare is expensive now, just wait until you see how expensive it is when it's free.

I have been storing various types of ammo, shot shells, centerfire, rimfire, reloading gear, powder, primers and so on for over 50 years in regular GI 30cal and 50cal metal ammo cans with no additives. My fffg and ffffg for my flintlock are also stored in these cans. To date I have never had a problem. There is something to be said about the KISS theory! Just one more thing to add. Keep on taking kids fishing, shooting and providing them with an outdoor experience for . They sure aren't learning what we know and enjoy in school!!!

Keep it dry is the biggest thing. Brass case ammo will last a long time. Steel case will if kept dry. Shotgun shell really need to be kep in dry environment to last. The cases are plastic but the heads are brass plated steel and will rust if not kept dry.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford