Camera Land, IncUTS Web Solutions

Thread: Small Boat Question

Default Small Boat Question

My In Laws have purchased a lot and are building on a Private 52 acre lake/Pond in the upstate. First I am looking to get a 2 man Bass Buggy type boat with a trolling motor to leave at the lake/their house. Does anyone have one of these 8-10 foot type boats, any recommendations?

Also if you are on a private lake would this type of boat need to be registered etc. Does anyone know the law/regs on this. Tried to look it up but really could not find much on private lakes/ponds etc.

Thanks
    “Within every man is a kid who should never forget where he came from”
    Coach C

I'm pretty sure if it has "any" kind of motor on it,,,it has to be registered. Private or public body of water......
    Capt Rick Hiott
    Charleston,SC

If you put any kind of motor on a boat, the boat has to be registered.

IMO, unless you have fished out of a short (8'-10') and you are extremely comfortable in it, I would look at a 12-14' jon instead. They are dime a dozen on CL, or you can buy a brand new alumacraft from academy for about 1k. If you are wanting to stay away from registering the boat, look at a canoe, easy to paddle and somewhat lightweight. 52 acres may not seem very big, but you would be surprised at how much wind comes across a pond that size.