Advertise on SCONAdvertise on SCON

Thread: Nikon Scopes

Default Nikon Scopes

Every time I get a catalog from Natchez/Widners etc. I see pages of Nikon refurbished scopes. Are they really that bad? Seems no other brand offers refurbished scopes like Nikon. Why would you buy a refurbished scope if it broke/went bad in the first place? I only use Meopta/Leupold and Zeiss. Never had a problem with these. When I strike oil on my place I'll move up to Swarovski or Shmitt Bender. Till then the ones I use will suffice.

one way to look at it might be ...where did they get all of those scopes the needed referbing I have had one long ago in 3-9X40 and it wasn't bad. As far as camera mfgs scopes..I just might rant about Pentax LightSeekers...still have 2 of those...Ziess is also a good camera mfg. Meopta is really good too. The most trouble I have had with scopes that I have owned was Simmons and Leupold
    Yippee Ki Yay

Love me some Nikon _____ have several of the "Japan made" and they are all good ( to me !!! )

I do some freelance Pr/Shooting Event's for Nikon and I can assure you that Nikon does not fix and resell scopes as refurb's to anyone. The refurb's are salesmen's sample's, scopes that have gone to writer's and used in trade shows, yes, that add's up to 100's of scopes each year that you can buy for a discounted price. The only thing is the warranty on these optic's is not Nikon's Lifetime Warranty. There are some great deal's to be had and I have purchased from Natchez over the years and sent other's there as well. I recently saw a MONARCH 5 scope for more then half off. If you haven't looked through one you defintely should. HD glass is about as good as it gets and for the price, wow! If you guys ever have any question's/problem's with a Nikon product feel free to drop me a note and I'll do my best to help you out. While i do not work directly for Nikon I know a lot of folks who do.
    Bart
    Nikon Pro Staff

I've had three Nikon scopes. All have been very clear and very robust. No problems observed whatsoever.
    I used to be a Bushnell man, but I had a turret twist out of the tube and well,,,,That's that.

Refurbished has been checked/tested to make certain it works properly before being sold. Production Quality Controllers may check every 5th, or x number on the new production line to quality check. That means 4, or x new ones get thru Without a quality check. And it won`t be known if those not checked are good, or bad, or ugly until bought by a customer who keeps it , or returns it. Refurbs are guaranteed.

I like a Nikon just as much as you guys,,,,but in low light,,,,they are not good at all
    Capt Rick Hiott
    Charleston,SC

I have a Nikon Prostaff 5 on my 308 and it is a great scope. Nikon and Votex are the best scopes for the money imo.
    We're Americans. We would rather die on our feet than live on our knees!

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Rick Hiott View Post
    I like a Nikon just as much as you guys,,,,but in low light,,,,they are not good at all
    When you hunt clock trime to clock time like I do. You need very good(expensive) glass to be able to see. Can't shoot what you can't see. My binocs are Kahles. Cried when I bought them $$$. But never regretted it down the road.

The best low light scope Ive ever had was a MeOpta......

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/73...hoCcKgQAvD_BwE
    Capt Rick Hiott
    Charleston,SC

The only Nikon I had a problem with was the BDC muzzle loader scope. To many 150 grain powder charges knocked something loose inside. Of course I didn't realize it until I missed one of the biggest Bucks I've ever seen on WMA. Nikon replaced it though I never trusted mounting it on my ML.
    http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sport037.gif

The Capt said his best low light scope was a Meopta. All of Cabela`s brand scopes are made by ....Meopta. Personally, my scopes are Burris, Weaver, and a Bushnell-made Browning 5x15x40. This Browning scope, made by Bushnell, has better light gathering percentage (99%) than Bushnell`s best models. Fixed power scopes always have better light gathering. The higher the x power in variables, the light gathering decreases. But, good glass in scopes and polishing surfacing, especially the Japanese made and the German scopes will always improve your vision.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Rick Hiott View Post
    The best low light scope Ive ever had was a MeOpta......

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/73...hoCcKgQAvD_BwE
    Those Meopta's are GOOD. Just bought my second one.........Cameraland and Sports Optics has Midway's prices beat by a mile!

I have 2 Schmidt and Bender scopes , never had any problem with them

Quote Originally Posted by RobertSC View Post
    The Capt said his best low light scope was a Meopta. All of Cabela`s brand scopes are made by ....Meopta. Personally, my scopes are Burris, Weaver, and a Bushnell-made Browning 5x15x40. This Browning scope, made by Bushnell, has better light gathering percentage (99%) than Bushnell`s best models. Fixed power scopes always have better light gathering. The higher the x power in variables, the light gathering decreases. But, good glass in scopes and polishing surfacing, especially the Japanese made and the German scopes will always improve your vision.
    quote:All Cabelas scope are made by Meopta...........But to Cabelas price point which is probably less.....Meopta as everyone else makes scopes to different price points and you usually get what you pay for.........Meopta also makes scopes for Zeiss.