Camera Land, IncWhitetails Unlimited Taxidermy

Thread: Gun rest

Default Gun rest

Any recommendations on a gun rest fro sighting in. I have an old rag that is giving less than desired results. See a lot of the lead sled rest advertised but also see a lot of them for sale second hand too which is not a good review. What do you use.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

A 6 inch Bi-Pod attached to the fore end sling mount. Shoot from a bench/table. Small sandbag under butt stock. Daughter also uses it for hunting.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stlhunr; 11-15-2017 at 08:23 PM.
    http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sport037.gif

the only other thing I would add to that is a strip in front of the bipod so that you are able to slightly load it against it....rock solid stuff right there.
    Yippee Ki Yay

I was thinks about the Caldwell’s The Rock front rest and sand bag for the rear.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    I was thinks about the Caldwell’s The Rock front rest and sand bag for the rear.
    I like the lower on the BR model better but like the bag on that better. I shoot on one very similar for load development at my buddies shop....I think it is an older Sinclair. It is more like the combo I am describing.

More like this with a better bag...on the same lines you are looking at.
    Yippee Ki Yay

I need to put it on santa's list.
    Henry Ford

I have a middle grade lead sled. It works pretty well, but is not rock solid. The best thing I've ever used was a pillow case half full of grass seed. If you want low cost.
    Don't quote me on that.

I'm still a fan of shooting from "sand" bags. No, they're not as convenient to tote back and forth to the range and yes, they're heavy but for me, they allow me to lock in better than any other rest out there. In the field, I'm a big fan of the Trigger Stick (I have mon-pod and bi-pod models) but I like something more stable when zeroing a firearm at the range.
    “In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Bangstick View Post
    I'm still a fan of shooting from "sand" bags. No, they're not as convenient to tote back and forth to the range and yes, they're heavy but for me, they allow me to lock in better than any other rest out there. In the field, I'm a big fan of the Trigger Stick (I have mon-pod and bi-pod models) but I like something more stable when zeroing a firearm at the range.
    there is nothing more stable than a loaded bipod and rear bag in the prone position...followed by a loaded bipod and a rear bag on a bench...next to benchrest stuff.

Iceman you might want to start looking for your rear bags....those real heavies with the ears are good kit....them little ears are hard to manipulate tho...and high as giraffe testies.

I have a long bull bag...I still shoot off of it at times....I feel there is to much contact to the gun for it to be as accurate in other scenarios...the rifle harmonics are different and not as repeatable between the two.

I have mono and bi trigger sticks and regular shoot from tris of either trigger sticks or Bog Pods...the better of the two
    Yippee Ki Yay

Quote Originally Posted by Jester896 View Post
    the only other thing I would add to that is a strip in front of the bipod so that you are able to slightly load it against it....rock solid stuff right there.
    I moved the rear legs forward to allow her legs more room, and added that front edge piece you suggested. Worked just fine this afternoon too...
    http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sport037.gif

Ask any bank for two EMPTY cloth money bags. A medium size bag for front rest and a smaller bag for the rear rest. Put a heavy plastic leaf bag (cut to size) inside each cloth bag. Then fill with sawdust from builder`s supply/lumber yard. This was my first rifle rest. It works.

Quote Originally Posted by stlhunr View Post
    I moved the rear legs forward to allow her legs more room, and added that front edge piece you suggested. Worked just fine this afternoon too...
    Yippee Ki Yay

there is nothing more stable than a loaded bipod and rear bag in the prone position...followed by a loaded bipod and a rear bag on a bench...next to benchrest stuff.

Iceman you might want to start looking for your rear bags....those real heavies with the ears are good kit....them little ears are hard to manipulate tho...and high as giraffe testies.

I have a long bull bag...I still shoot off of it at times....I feel there is to much contact to the gun for it to be as accurate in other scenarios...the rifle harmonics are different and not as repeatable between the two.

I have mono and bi trigger sticks and regular shoot from tris of either trigger sticks or Bog Pods...the better of the two
    Got a rear bags couple bags pick out and a front bag that fits the rest. Santa’s list is coming together.
    Henry Ford

Sweet
    Yippee Ki Yay

found this one too while I was buying a media separator today
    Yippee Ki Yay

My issue is recoil. I have bangs that will loosen fillings. Therefore I use a Caldwell lead sled with two (2) 25 # bags filled with lead shot. Shooting these bangs is like shooting a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun.

the issue that I have with them is it doesn't allow you to get the rifle in the pocket therefore your cheek weld may not be right. If you can't reproduce the same hold as the sled does on the rifle it may be hard to get the rifle to hit the same spot it did when it was in the sled. It may ensue a never ending chase. If you rely on proper techniques and yourself you can carry that anywhere.
    Yippee Ki Yay

found this one too while I was buying a media separator today
    What we use, plus a bag for the bottom of stock to sit in.
    Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’ Isaiah 41:10

Proud Student of Hattaway School of Turkey Hunting!

"It's a damn disease is what it is." - Dean "Redbeard" Mundhenke

The Few

The better ones suggested all seem to have the same basic concept. Three adjustable legs and adjustable height plus accepts a front bag.
    Henry Ford

I think the better ones do...I have seen them without adjustable feet...not sure I'd want one since about all I have used is the other. I put this one up because it had a little different price point and seemed simple...not that simple is a bad thing
    Yippee Ki Yay

If I had thought about it I would have just made my own after seeing the store bought ones. Mine wouldn’t be as pretty though.
    Henry Ford

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
    Yippee Ki Yay

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
    True, I can make most anything if I see one. I have enough homemade stuff. The wife gets on me when I start working on another project. “Why don’t you just buy one”. I do like to tinker and make it my way or rub it a little to make it better, sometimes. From what I see on here sometimes, I am not the only tinkerer around.

I made a complete tool kit for assembly and disassembly of screw compressor for about $200 in material. The factory kit cost over 30k. I didnt even get to look at theirs but I had drawing on a couple of the tools, crazy design. None of mine are like the factory tools. I usually just made new tools as I needed them. Fun stuff back in the day
    Last edited by Iceman; 12-07-2017 at 10:35 PM.
    Henry Ford

This is the range combo I've used for approx. 30 yrs.( mine is an older beefier model no longer ) I replaced the Caldwell bags and use Protektor brand front and rear..(.talcum powder as needed for free recoil )
    Use starr wheel for coarse elevation adjustments while squeezing rear bag for fine tuning/cheek weld.
    https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/85...dwell-_-852713

http://protektormodel.com/index.php?...&products_id=2

http://protektormodel.com/index.php?...products_id=14
    Last edited by RonSC; 12-08-2017 at 12:19 PM.

I like the rabbit ear rear bag too.
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    I like the rabbit ear rear bag too.
    the one I use the most is like that bottom one just has a soft bottom.
    Yippee Ki Yay

When I was a nubbin' I did a heap of shooting over home made bags made from the legs of blue-jeans filled with rice. Worked great till the first time I left them on the back porch in a down-pour...

That is the back bag we use to sight in and test loads from
    Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’ Isaiah 41:10

Proud Student of Hattaway School of Turkey Hunting!

"It's a damn disease is what it is." - Dean "Redbeard" Mundhenke

The Few