Advertise on SCONSouthern Junkey

Thread: Crossbow for son.

Default Crossbow for son.

I'm looking at getting my 7 year old son a crossbow for Christmas to be able to turkey hunt in the spring. He shoots his bb gun really well free hand and will start shooting a 22 this winter. I have been looking at several crossbows and have picked out the Barnett Recruit Recurve. Anyone have any input on it? Good or bad?

I have a Barnett Revolution. Love it and I like the customer service at Barnett. Crossbows can be a dangerous weapon on both ends. Heard of bad accidents by experienced shooters getting fingers inside cable string upon firing.

Why not just let him shoot a .410?

Successful turkey hunting with any archery equipment takes precision shot placement. Not saying a 7 yr old can't get it done but it's something to consider. Those birds look big but the actual kill area is really small.

The recurve style crossbows are relatively bomb proof. They're not as adversely affected by accidental dry firing like compound style crossbows. The biggest issue (it's not really that big of an issue) I have with recurve style crossbows is they tend to be a bit louder than compound style crossbows.

Like Vermontlad mentioned, be mindful of hand/finger placement. I have been present twice when people have all but completely ripped the tip of their thumbs off because they were holding the crossbow like a rifle. It's not pretty.

I applaud you for wanting to get your child into archery. It's not easy and it's not for everyone. I hope he takes to it and grows with it.
    “In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -Thomas Paine

I think you might consider a compound crossbow instead of a recurve type. Read up on the differences. Just ordered a Barnett Wildcat Q6 Crossbow Package from Dicks for just a little more ($175 on special).