Advertise on SCONCamera Land, Inc

Thread: Word to the wise

Default Word to the wise

Took a trip to arkansas last week. Stopped in Birmingham and while staying in the hotel had every bit of hunting gear stolen. Guns, cameras, computers, blind bags and all. Re grouped at MackS and had an ok trip after all that crap. Don’t ever leave your gear in the truck!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 3chunter; 01-05-2018 at 09:45 AM.
    Infamous Beard Buster

I might in one of these
    http://www.gunsafes.com/Truck-Vault-...Solutions.html

hate it for ya
    Yippee Ki Yay

There are thieves who target just folks like yourself, fishermen too. Park your boat at the restaurant for breakfast on the way to the lake and you may not have any gear when you come out. Happened to 3 people I know up this way.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

It is a hassle to drag all your gear to the room but it is a must.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    "Knowledge is true opinion." ~ Plato

"We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive. "-Aldo Leopold

around here you can't go to Lowe's or Home Depot and leave anything, the vultures are circling. Yet people still do. The movie theater is always listed in the entering auto portion of the Police Reports, yet women still leave their purses in plain sight.

I am considering taking the tool box out of my little truck that I take to shoots. It will keep us from backing into spots we can see from inside or finding somewhere else that we can see.
    Yippee Ki Yay

That sucks but at least you made out good on the trip. Congrats on the shooting. I always tote everything to the motel room but I only do a couple trips a year at most.
    Worship the LORD, not His creation.

That really sucks!!! Same thing happens at the lakes while fishing. And they are not content to just steal your stuff. MY BIL
    lost everything out of his truck and while they were at it they crushed the bearing buddies on the boat trailer and slashed his tires. Sorry turds cleaned me out at the Rose Hill boat ramp years ago while parked during a deer hunt. The only thing I leave in my truck now during hunting season is stuff I'm willing to sacrifice, cheap ice chests (no Yetis for me) and soft gun cases unzipped and folded in half in plain view.!!

I had the exact same thing happen to me last year on my way to Missouri. I was making sales calls in Birmingham and stayed the night, my truck got broken into and they stole two shotguns and a pistol
    “Hunting is like a game of chess; you can play it a million times, yet never play any two games all the way through in exactly the same way.”- Archibald Hamilton Rutledge

I always bring my gear in - but try this one on for size: I was driving back from SD where I did a bunch of duck and pheasant hunting. I was driving back, and around hour 18 I was having a hard time seeing the road. I pulled off in College Town, PA (or something similar) around 2:15am so I could get some shut eye. I gassed up at the truck stop, and there was no spots for me to park. I decided to go sleep in my truck at the attached motel - a Motel 6. If you've ever slept in a hotel parking lot - you know hotel/motels really hate this. Anyway - i fall to sleep almost immediately and wake up about 10 minutes later to a bunch of ruckus in the parking lot. I have tinted windows, it was raining, so I know anyone couldn't see me. I watched a bunch of smash and grabs going on in the lot. They left, and I left shortly afterwards. As I pulled out, the truck across from me had a nice window smash that wasn't there 15 minutes earlier. I think the only thing that saved me was they must of saw me pull in.

And all I could do was wish for national reciprocity. I would of been far more comfortable with a loaded truck, dog, and personal safety If I could of been packing. I consider myself lucky.

On the road it pays to be able to defend yourself. Traveling, I am never WISHING for nation reciprocity, I am reciprocating.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

In my present living situation I have to tangle with NY, NJ, CT, and a few other "throw your good citizen ass in jail" states. Be moving shortly. Can't come fast enough.

I have been to all of those. Not saying that is what anyone should do. But I take my safety seriously on the road.
    Henry Ford

I was able to make a claim on homeowners to recoup some of the stuff...at least I can go buy myself another benelli.
    Infamous Beard Buster