Whitetails Unlimited TaxidermyUTS Web Solutions
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Deer tags

Huh? I am sure most got the satire and know what passive aggressive means. Sometimes I think people see what they want to see even if it is just a river otter in the fog.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    "Knowledge is true opinion." ~ Plato

"We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive. "-Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by spur hunter View Post
    Passive aggressive is like that, very subtle.

Awesome on the funding for the tele-check. I did my part this year, purchased a couple extra doe tags and the additional buck tags. All but one went unused. Money well spent even so. I don't dispute the reasons behind the tags and didn't find them any more inconvenient or fragile than turkey tags.

On another note and not to deflect, probably the biggest issue I encountered this year was several instances of folks dumping deer carcasses on the road side. Would not be so much an issue if they'd just get it all a few more feet off the road and out of sight. As it is, it makes us all look bad with it visible to the public.
    I buy the extra doe tags every year....And never use "em".....Didn't even use the 8 they gave me. Although had 100's of opportunities to do so......Only doe I killed was with my truck and that didn't require a tag!......Did use my 5 bk tags though.

I used two of the optional doe tags and two of the standard buck tags. I didn't see a doe I wanted to kill on the date specific days, and two of the bucks I'd planned to use my optional tags on were killed nearby and by other people. One of the big bucks made it unscathed through the season and some of the does I probably would have killed are now hanging around my back yard.
    NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, Palmetto Gun Rights, NAGR, GOA, Second Amendment Foundation, and proud SC redneck still flying The Stars and Bars.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas4 View Post
    some of the does I probably would have killed are now hanging around my back yard.
    They are just teasing you RT
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    They are just teasing you RT
    I'd almost swear some of 'em have been sticking their tongues out and laughing at me.
    NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, Palmetto Gun Rights, NAGR, GOA, Second Amendment Foundation, and proud SC redneck still flying The Stars and Bars.

New tags worked flawlessly seamlessly even though many predicted some sort of Armageddon because of the new tag system.

Funny how change will make people over-dramatic and cause them to over-sensationalize things.
    “In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Bangstick View Post
    New tags worked flawlessly seamlessly even though many predicted some sort of Armageddon because of the new tag system.

Funny how change will make people over-dramatic and cause them to over-sensationalize things.
    I'm not sure they worked flawlessly since I personally heard some tales of people cheating the system; but then again the guys who have always violated the regs aren't going to stop just because those regs changed. As I posted previously in another thread, one guy claimed he'd killed ten deer in just one week..........and he wasn't hunting on a DQP property according to his own comments. In fact, just this morning I had a conversation with a man from York County who was passing through and he told me that his neighbor had killed seven bucks which was fewer than in years past. Now granted he didn't specify if some of those were buttons or not, but if that was fewer than in years past wonder how many times his neighbor had exceeded the five buck limit from previous years up there? Incidentally this man wasn't a hunter and had no idea about what's legal since he thought there was a season on pigs.

I don't recall any predictions of Armageddon, merely predictions that unscrupulous folks would continue to do as they've always done and no amount of tagging requirements or bag limits would stop such individuals.

I'm all for a tagging system, but to say this one worked flawlessly is really saying nothing at all. They didn't DO anything. At best they kept the honest people honest and brought in some revenue through fines. I don't see where this system is doin a blamed thing for the herd or for the hunters.

Tags gave SC an enforceable limits on bucks. If a neighbor is shooting 7 he can be charged in like before.

"We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive. "-Aldo Leopold

Your use of the English language must be above my pay grade, but I get the jist. Enforceable vs enforced, which is the common denominator? I hunted public every Saturday, save for three, two if which I was out of state, the third I was a guest on a private dog hunt. Not once did I see a GW, in an area that needs it as much as any other in SC. On the dog hunt, 25 deer were killed that day. Some were tagged, most were not, and NONE went to a processor.
    That stuff will happen no matter what the law says, I realize that. But for once, SC has an opportunity to gather REAL "harvest" data. Not once have I received a survey asking me how many deer I've killed in a given season, and I don't expect to this year. These tags mean absolutely jack squat. Get your deer home and throw em in the trash. I hope this past season was just a baby step towards something that actually does something for herd management.

Okay. Some dog hunters are poaching thanks for the info. What club were you hunting with?
    Last edited by SCbowhunter1000; 01-12-2018 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 9c1cap84 View Post
    Your use of the English language must be above my pay grade, but I get the jist. Enforceable vs enforced, which is the common denominator? I hunted public every Saturday, save for three, two if which I was out of state, the third I was a guest on a private dog hunt. Not once did I see a GW, in an area that needs it as much as any other in SC. On the dog hunt, 25 deer were killed that day. Some were tagged, most were not, and NONE went to a processor.
    That stuff will happen no matter what the law says, I realize that. But for once, SC has an opportunity to gather REAL "harvest" data. Not once have I received a survey asking me how many deer I've killed in a given season, and I don't expect to this year. These tags mean absolutely jack squat. Get your deer home and throw em in the trash. I hope this past season was just a baby step towards something that actually does something for herd management.
    http://www.dnr.sc.gov/law/OGT.html

And this is where tags help hold up in court. We as hunters have got to do our leg work also.

Witnessing blatant illegal activity, and not reporting, puts the witnesses in the poacher category just as much as the persons who committed the violations.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Greenhead; 01-12-2018 at 07:43 PM.
    I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen; not because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.

What's insane is people who think the Goverment removing rights from responsible people will somehow keep them safe.

But for once, SC has an opportunity to gather REAL "harvest" data.

It truly amazes me at the people on this site that really think tags are the only way to have real harvest data.

Seeing that unless a deer is taken to a processor then there is zero record of said deer killed. (Tag or no tag)

Under the doe quota program DNR has had plenty of clubs that were in this program and have turned in what was killed year after year for years.
    This data includes how many bucks, how many does, and how many button bucks.

So putting a tag on all deer has accomplished nothing.
    DNR should be held accountable for all the years of not using turned in data from clubs using quota program.

Also as I have started on this site before all tracts of land cannot be managed the same. (Not even in same county)
    Also no way all of the hunting that takes place in SC that they can set the limits to benefit all of them.

So take it upon yourselves to manage your owned/leased property (if you are leasing a big enough tract to have some sort of management practice.) Communicate with your neighboring hunters if you would like to trophy manage and try and get on same page.

I don't trophy hunt and I don't appreciate someone forcing me to. I don't shoot everything I see and I am not going to push that someone does.

I am part of a club that has rules and guidelines and we have been successful. This is all it takes.

I'm not sure they worked flawlessly since I personally heard some tales of people cheating the system; but then again the guys who have always violated the regs aren't going to stop just because those regs changed. As I posted previously in another thread, one guy claimed he'd killed ten deer in just one week..........and he wasn't hunting on a DQP property according to his own comments. In fact, just this morning I had a conversation with a man from York County who was passing through and he told me that his neighbor had killed seven bucks which was fewer than in years past. Now granted he didn't specify if some of those were buttons or not, but if that was fewer than in years past wonder how many times his neighbor had exceeded the five buck limit from previous years up there? Incidentally this man wasn't a hunter and had no idea about what's legal since he thought there was a season on pigs.

I don't recall any predictions of Armageddon, merely predictions that unscrupulous folks would continue to do as they've always done and no amount of tagging requirements or bag limits would stop such individuals.
    Thanks for the insightful response RT, but I was merely responding to the topic and commenting on my experience with the new tag system and in my experience with the first year of the new tag system, they worked flawlessly and seamlessly.

I'm sure if I would've attempted to find someone that didn't like the idea of the new tag system in the first place and asked them what they thought about it, I'm pretty sure I could've found someone with a negative spin on how the first year of the new tag system went but like I said, I don't believe that's what the OP was asking and that wasn't what I was addressing.
    “In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by smokey13 View Post

It truly amazes me at the people on this site that really think tags are the only way to have real harvest data.

Seeing that unless a deer is taken to a processor then there is zero record of said deer killed. (Tag or no tag)
    This is my point. Call, stop by check-in station, login online, whatever. Receive confirmation number, fill in number on tag. Database records kill numbers statewide down to game zone AND county. Use these numbers along with population densities to set future limits. Those who don't comply can be fined just the same.

I am hoping they are goin this direction and using the revenue thusfar generated to fund. There would obviously be a void from those who don't report or check-in, so the numbers will never be real numbers, but the current system of taking numbers from random surveys and the quota programs is seriously flawed. People want to blame habitat loss and the coyote for deer loss but until we know what impact WE are having, we can't really weigh out what the other factors are doing either.

Quote Originally Posted by SCbowhunter1000 View Post
    What club were you hunting with?
    Mickey Mouse club.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenhead View Post

Witnessing blatant illegal activity, and not reporting, puts the witnesses in the poacher category just as much as the persons who committed the violations.

Obviously your definition of poacher and mine differ greatly. I know that not one killed over their daily limit, and who am I to say they killed over there season limit. The only boy that killed more than one deer that day killed four. All four we're legal AND tagged.
    If I witnessed a man take two steps over a property line to retrieve a dead game animal I'm not gonna call the law. When I drive home after work and pass a neighbor shooting doves over a cornpile two days after the split ended, yes, I will report, because that is poaching. When I find a gutpile in early august on public land, that is poaching, and I will and have called the law. Go on and call me a poacher.

9c1cap84, I was one of those who opposed the new state wide regs, but once they went into place decided to go with the flow; however, in the LowCountry we don't have a declining herd (those were bangstick's god's words) so still don't see where there was a need to implement the changes. Also, like you I've never received any type of deer survey or filled out anything that would provide the kill numbers other than when I ran a club in Elloree years ago when we were in the old landowner doe tag program (the old metal through the lip tags).

This is my point. Call, stop by check-in station, login online, whatever. Receive confirmation number, fill in number on tag. Database records kill numbers statewide down to game zone AND county. Use these numbers along with population densities to set future limits. Those who don't comply can be fined just the same.

I am hoping they are goin this direction and using the revenue thusfar generated to fund. There would obviously be a void from those who don't report or check-in, so the numbers will never be real numbers, but the current system of taking numbers from random surveys and the quota programs is seriously flawed. People want to blame habitat loss and the coyote for deer loss but until we know what impact WE are having, we can't really weigh out what the other factors are doing either.
    Why do you have to have someone to set a limit for you. The better hunters regulate themselves and keep gov out the better.
    It isn't that hard. Start with communicating with neighboring hunters and try to work out an agreement that will produce your goals in near future.

Communication is the easiest thing to do now but yet people do it the least.

Why are harvest surveys not accurate?

25 deer were killed that day. Some were tagged, most were not,.
    Your typed words, not mine.

That is poaching, no matter how you try and polish it.

I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen; not because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.

What's insane is people who think the Goverment removing rights from responsible people will somehow keep them safe.

Get your deer home and throw em in the trash.
    I think that is the enforceable part of the tag system. You transport it without a tag, or a tag that ain't right and run up on a GW and see what happens. If you were on a hunt where deer were not tagged and did not report it then you are part of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey13 View Post
    I've also yet to read where folks on this site think that deer tags are the only way to get real harvest data. More like a majority think check stations were the way to go and a minority arguing that surveys can be used for the same, or better, data.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SCbowhunter1000 View Post
    Huh? I am sure most got the satire and know what passive aggressive means. Sometimes I think people see what they want to see even if it is just a river otter in the fog.

And I've been running up on river otters lately. Two in the ice on the Enoree river last week and two in the creek here this week, a bit of fog even!
    Worship the LORD, not His creation.
    Palmetto Slam 2012, 2017
    MLPF-Every fish counts

Mailed off my deer harvest report to CR yesterday.

I may be in the minority but I still believe that hiring more GWs and putting actual boots on the ground makes more sense than the tag program; but it is what it is and most of us have accepted the change and learned to live with it.

but it is what it is and most of us have accepted the change and learned to live with it.
    you seem to be getting better about it
    Yippee Ki Yay

Tags are great. We had no problems whatsoever. Family killed 3 bucks total and one boar hog (wifey killed the most as per normal...LOL). A doe was gifted us from a youth hunter at cost to processor. I have absolutely loved all of the deer burger, sausage, cube steak, and backstraps. It is a wonderful privilege to enjoy a sport in so many different stages, including the dinner table. It is a privilege to hunt in South Carolina, one I treasure, and one that redeems my spirits with every trip to the woods.

Special thanks to Charles Ruth, who personally intervened for us in some initial confusion over lifetime license holders regarding tags.

I got skunked with the bow but I learned a lot along the way and still smiled each trek in and out of the woods. Beats workin'.

...(those were bangstick's god's words)...
    Care to elaborate on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Bangstick View Post
    Care to elaborate on that?
    You had previously posted such glowing praises for Ruth that it sounded as if you worshiped him. As for his comment it was " The counties of the LowCountry, specifically Hampton, Colleton, Jasper, and Bamberg actually are a hot zone for herd stability and in fact actually have experienced an overall growth in the deer herd".

For someone that doesn't care for religious views/opinions or believe in God, you sure are quick to assign a deity to others. Kind of hypocritical, don't you think? For the record, I referred to Charles Ruth as a close friend. I know you don't care to hear about God but just for clarification, being a friend to someone doesn't make that person God. Moving forward, you might want to avoid making assumptions. You know what they say about that.

The off subject back and forth needs to stop before it evolves into offenses that can cause on to be banned from forum.
    Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’ Isaiah 41:10

Proud Student of Hattaway School of Turkey Hunting!

"It's a damn disease is what it is." - Dean "Redbeard" Mundhenke

The Few

I guess a bit of satire eludes some people, so here's a hint. In my original comment I didn't capitalize god so there was nothing hypocritical in the statement. Even though I don't believe in the Christian deity I do have enough respect for those who do that when referring to their mythical deity I always use the proper Noun and do so with a capital G. I'd do the same for those who believe in Thor or Zeus.

BTW, davis, I don't believe I've violated any of the TOS since I've refrained from using any offensive language even though it's been tempting to do so!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast