Camera Land, IncWhitetails Unlimited Taxidermy
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RE:What Calibers Do You Deer Hunt With Besides The Most Popular One's?

Quote Originally Posted by muledeer View Post
    Based off the fact that it's a mediocre coyote round at best, not a deer round. Don't need to be the police of any post to know that
    There is nothing wrong with taking a deer with a .556. It's about the precision of the shot and the load that is chosen. Mediocre coyote round? interesting. I kill pigs left and right with that round. Pigs, which from my experience are much "tougher" than the whitetail or the dog...

Quote Originally Posted by nated8705 View Post
    There is nothing wrong with taking a deer with a .556. It's about the precision of the shot and the load that is chosen. Mediocre coyote round? interesting. I kill pigs left and right with that round. Pigs, which from my experience are much "tougher" than the whitetail or the dog...
    I stand by my statement. Also not sure what a .556 is but if the 5.56mm was all I had and was desperate, i might use it for deer. There's a reason a bunch of states have made it illegal to deer hunt
    .45-70 is the only Government I trust...

Quote Originally Posted by muledeer View Post
    I stand by my statement. Also not sure what a .556 is but if the 5.56mm was all I had and was desperate
    yeah, I reread his post and found that he wanted to use a .556 so that may qualify as an odd round what ever it is. 5.56 NATO is designation for a military round. In the platform that the 5.56 round is used in I could understand your hesitation about using it as a GREAT deer round when that accuracy for that ammo and platform is 1-3MOA @100 or 2-6MOA @200. Not a very good accuracy wise to use on deer.

Now you take a .223 bolt gun with a good twist rate for heavies (69-80gr) and I would shoot deer and yotes anytime. Knocking on the door of a light .243. But that would fall under the ,etc? portion of his first statement possibly for common calibers.

When I read the OP I interpreted it to be things like 30-40 Krag or some of the WCF offerings...all available in lever style ...in their day were common... where today it is not so common.
    Yippee Ki Yay

Quote Originally Posted by Jester896 View Post
    Your right..
    I guess if you were going to take everything verbatim, .556 would be an unusual caliber, since I have never heard of it.

carry on
    Don't let my android autocorrect tear your nerves up too bad. We all have common sense.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really bother or affect me what you choose to hunt with. If it works for you, great. Sorry I got everyone worked up about it. Good luck
    .45-70 is the only Government I trust...

Don't let my android autocorrect tear your nerves up too bad.
    I'm good

We all have common sense.
    we would like to think so
    Yippee Ki Yay

Anyone recommend a certain caliber for Turkey season?

Anyone recommend a certain caliber for Turkey season?

.729?
    http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sport037.gif

Quote Originally Posted by stlhunr View Post
    .729?
    with a .660 and #6...GTG
    Last edited by Jester896; 03-22-2018 at 05:02 PM.
    Yippee Ki Yay

This past year I really loved hunting with my Super Blackhawk Hunter in .41 mag... It's just so nice in the stand or blind.
    Ruger 77 .243
    Ruger 77 .308
    Ruger No. 1S 30-06
    Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter .41 mag
    Leupold Optics

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123