Advertise on SCONCamera Land, Inc

Thread: Crappies

Default Crappies

image.jpgimage.jpg[attach=config]28897
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice.

Its been about 45 years since Ive caught a Crappie. Great fish!

Good job!

What bait did you use?
    Capt Rick Hiott
    Charleston,SC

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Rick Hiott View Post
    Its been about 45 years since Ive caught a Crappie. Great fish!

Good job!

What bait did you use?
    Rick, I use small 1/64oz jigs with 4 lb test. Slow fall makes it seem more realistic and most fish hit it on the fall. Toss it out and let it swing back to you and if don't get but on fall slowly reel it straight up. Fish I'm catching now are in about 25-35 feet of water but suspended about 10-15 feet.

Thanks.

Sounds like good fun to me. I sent you a PM with some info.
    Capt Rick Hiott
    Charleston,SC

Emm emm

Nice catch, how on earth do you cast a 1/64oz jig? geez, I cant get 1/8oz past the end of the boat

LONG rod with braded line.......
    Capt Rick Hiott
    Charleston,SC

Nice catches

Not to hijack the thread here, but how do you guys go about finding areas to fish for crappie. I have a good fish finder, but have never really crappie fished before. I fish on the north end of lake wylie and don't even really know where or how to start? Any suggestions on finding them?

Thunderbolt just saw your question, cant go wrong fishing the bridges this time of year, you'll have a lot of people under there with you but plenty of fish under there. I also like fishing deep brush and by deep I mean 20 foot or so of water. Also fish deep docks on main lake preferably near where the channel runs close to the dock. Throw on the shady side of the dock. We put out 90% of the brush we fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt View Post
    Not to hijack the thread here, but how do you guys go about finding areas to fish for crappie. I have a good fish finder, but have never really crappie fished before. I fish on the north end of lake wylie and don't even really know where or how to start? Any suggestions on finding them?
    TB , check out crappie.com/SC. I've met and fished with a bunch of Wylie fishermen from the website. We don't do tournaments except for fun stuff, no money involved and we always welcome kids. The guys from there (I live in Lexington SC) have always made me feel welcome, showed me where to fish and on several trips i fished with them
    Check it out, lots of info sharing, some good natured leg pulling, and fun times.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men.

Caught a few this weekend staged up. All in about 7-10

The ones I caught on Sat afternoon were in 4ft of water or less fishing 18-24in deep under a cork, smallest minnows worked best. All on brush piles I have right on the edge of the shoreline right now. Couldn't buy a bite in water 10ft or deeper.
    This was on Hartwell.
    RIP Dakota 2/1/13
    NBK

Sluggin, you on Blalock? The fish I been catching shallow are males coming in first starting to get nests ready for the big females I think. I fished off a dock on Bowen Monday for about an hour and caught 20-25 males only about 8-10 inches long. My buddy and one of his clients caught 2 limits of 2 pounders in 14 foot of water the other morning on Murray.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater50 View Post
    Sluggin, you on Blalock? The fish I been catching shallow are males coming in first starting to get nests ready for the big females I think. I fished off a dock on Bowen Monday for about an hour and caught 20-25 males only about 8-10 inches long. My buddy and one of his clients caught 2 limits of 2 pounders in 14 foot of water the other morning on Murray.
    Yes sir I live really close. I fish there 2-3 times a week and more when my boys can stand the weather. Do you fish there alot?

Quote Originally Posted by sluggin View Post
    Yes sir I live really close. I fish there 2-3 times a week and more when my boys can stand the weather. Do you fish there alot?
    I have not fished that lake in probably two years but used to. Never caught any real good sized ones in the 2.5lb range tho. Used to catch a lot up near Parris Bridge when I did fish it and from there back towards Casey Creek, never fished towards Buck Creek or 221.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater50 View Post
    I have not fished that lake in probably two years but used to. Never caught any real good sized ones in the 2.5lb range tho. Used to catch a lot up near Parris Bridge when I did fish it and from there back towards Casey Creek, never fished towards Buck Creek or 221.
    I have lots of little honey holes

Did real well on Murray yesterday. Caught them in about 15 foot of water

Man all i here about murry is great. Buddy went sat and killed the striper.