Camera Land, IncUTS Web Solutions

Thread: New bow hunter looking for some help

Default New bow hunter looking for some help

Hello all,

I recently decided to pickup bow hunting and am going to make this upcoming spring turkey season my first attempt at it

I知 currently looking at palachucola, Webb WMA and Hamilton ridge for public land hunts this spring.

What I am looking for is someone to learn from. A mentor to learn from. I知 not asking for handouts. I知 not looking for someone to just give me access to their land or their birds. But if someone has the time to help and to teach I would be immeasurably grateful. I know time is precious, goes double for hunting time

I have looked around and other then guided hunts aimed at helping kids. There are no such activities to help adults learn. I am signed up for a hunter ed course next month and have been practicing shooing my bow at home.

So if there痴 anyone on here that is able to help in taking someone bow hunting for turkey, I would really like to talk to ya!

Thanks

IMO unless you have a food plot or field to set up on it's going to be extremely hard to kill a turkey with your bow. I gave up on it b/c I got tired of lugging around a blind, not to mention I don't like hunting out of blinds. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by SENHUNTER View Post
    Hello all,

I recently decided to pickup bow hunting and am going to make this upcoming spring turkey season my first attempt at it

I知 currently looking at palachucola, Webb WMA and Hamilton ridge for public land hunts this spring.

What I am looking for is someone to learn from. A mentor to learn from. I知 not asking for handouts. I知 not looking for someone to just give me access to their land or their birds. But if someone has the time to help and to teach I would be immeasurably grateful. I know time is precious, goes double for hunting time

I have looked around and other then guided hunts aimed at helping kids. There are no such activities to help adults learn. I am signed up for a hunter ed course next month and have been practicing shooing my bow at home.

So if there痴 anyone on here that is able to help in taking someone bow hunting for turkey, I would really like to talk to ya!

Thanks
    Get a mirror blind. Fields are easier.
    Infamous Beard Buster

I avidly hunt with my bow for turkey. I typically use a blind, but also have good success with a spot and stalk situation in my fields using a turkey fan mounted to my bow in reverse. Don't give up, if you do, it means you lost.

- - - Updated - - -

don't forget that using the fan can be dangerous when hunting near other hunters.

I actually picked up a stick in the ground blind about 2 1/2 feet tall. It’s fabric and had poles you stick in the ground. That’s what I’m gonna go with for now cheap and it offers some cover. I’ve got a lot of good info. I’ve been out looking at public lands around me and am going there. Since I haven’t asked this question.

What time to get to your spot in the morning? I plan on camping out the night before so I don’t have to drive in in the morning

Quote Originally Posted by SENHUNTER View Post
    I actually picked up a stick in the ground blind about 2 1/2 feet tall. It’s fabric and had poles you stick in the ground. That’s what I’m gonna go with for now cheap and it offers some cover. I’ve got a lot of good info. I’ve been out looking at public lands around me and am going there. Since I haven’t asked this question.

What time to get to your spot in the morning? I plan on camping out the night before so I don’t have to drive in in the morning
    Get in before the sky starts to light up. That will give you plenty of time to set up. I have spooked turkey off the roost at this time as well, so don't try to get too close....