Advertise on SCONSouthern Junkey

Thread: Ghost guns

Default Ghost guns

Watched a news special a few minutes ago on CBS with the assistance of the BATFE on ghost guns. Ghost guns been around for quiet a few years now but seem to be picking up in popularity or maybe just gaining attention of the anti’s. Never built a Ghost gun but have seen quiet a few of the kits available over the last 5-6years. The article made it look easier than it probably is. An expierenced or talented handy man could probably easily complete the kit but I doubt every goon out there is capable as the special suggested. There are also instruction on how to build without a kit with purchased material. Anyone ever seen one of these assemblies at a gun show or at all? I won’t ask if you ever built one.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Do a search on "ghost gun" and see if one manufacturer sells such a thing. Perhaps they shoot armor piercing bullets out of 40 round clips.

Quote Originally Posted by 9c1cap84 View Post
    Do a search on "ghost gun" and see if one manufacturer sells such a thing. Perhaps they shoot armor piercing bullets out of 40 round clips.
    look up 80% frames or Stealth Arms. Or if you like ghostguns.com
    Last edited by Iceman; 02-13-2018 at 09:14 PM.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

I have seen a bunch of real sloppily done M S R. Even with a jig they seem so so. Not if you had access to a CNC an could load the measurement that might be GTG. What I have seen I wonder how they will run or how consistently they would.

I have actually considered doing a 45...but most I see are alum frame and I want stainless. Haven't looked into it hard.

because of the rules everybody seems to want to jump on...kinda ..Hey Watch This
    Yippee Ki Yay

Wow, admittedly I was being a bit snarky, assuming "ghost" gun was another made up, misused term by the media to instill fear. I'm familiar with 80% lowers and have been in the presence of them being completed. I had no idea the market has grown to what that website represents.

Years ago, I believe the company was called Ariens or something similar(?),, were producing polymer 80% lowers where they molded your final complete receiver in black polymer, then filled it with red polymer to make it a solid block. The end user would mill out the red to get the finished receiver. Apparently the BATFE first deemed the product to be compliant with the NFA and therefore legal, then reversed their decision, and decided that every piece they had sold previously, despite their approval letter, was in violation. The company resisted and eventually the feds raided and took all of their paper work including a complete customer list and invoices of the product sold. (this is my recollection of the details, so don't take it all as fact).

Anyway, that fiasco alone is enough for me to want to avoid messing the 80% lowers in any fashion. But they are not difficult to finish out and it can be done with minimal tooling.

Most of the kits are aluminum but I see some that are steel and that takes a different milling process and multiple cuts or so they claim. You are right on the CNC and the first lowers I saw required a CNC. The news show used common hand tools, dremmel, and electric drill, not even a press. These kits cost more than a fully manufactured weapon plus you have to buy the jigs and machining tools. Read an article a while back were many of the privately owned AKs in the Middle East are homemade or small shop made firearms. Mostly junk that function is questionable.
    Henry Ford

Yes I think accessing that stuff may get a visit from ATF. I notice sportsman warehouse sell 1911 frames and AR lowers with jigs.
    Henry Ford

AK receivers are sheet metal. I could see them being pounded out quickly in less than ideal conditions with crude tooling.

Quote Originally Posted by 9c1cap84 View Post
    AK receivers are sheet metal. I could see them being pounded out quickly in less than ideal conditions with crude tooling.
    Yes that was the main point in the ak design. The cafe attack in France a while back was said to be homemade or small shop aks. The reason the one guy threw down his weapon and ran was it stopped running and locked up as was indicated as a common problem with the locally made weapons. It looked crudely made. Israel goes into the West Bank hunting arms makers and confiscating their equipment.
    Henry Ford

Shootable guns are very easy to build.....Slam fire 12 ga from water pipe can med made in an hour.......Muzzle loaders just as easy......80% kits =harder................NEVER TRUST cbs or the batf.

I saw an article and u-tube video on guns America or maybe somewhere else on making your own hand gun from scratch. I think they had a contest. Some looked pretty good and professional while others very primitive. The zip gun type weapon is very easily made as you say. I like the pen gun design best and I think easy to make. The whole around the ghost gun thing is guns for those who cannot legally purchase, which is the wrong approach for the industry. The other idea is honest folks to own a gun no one can trace or even know you have or exists, which cannot be confiscated.
    Henry Ford

If I buy a gun in a private sale, no bill of sale, how is it being traced? I'm not sure I really see the point

ghost gun have no serial number so are untraceable.
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by frankb View Post
    If I buy a gun in a private sale, no bill of sale, how is it being traced? I'm not sure I really see the point
    the real difference is your private serialized sale gun exists. It can be traced but would require hard footwork. From a serialized standpoint he ghost gun never existed in the first place.
    Yippee Ki Yay

I don't see how it can be traced, no paperwork. Seems pointless to me

If used in a crime they go to the original FFL and then investigate down the chain of custody from personal interview. If you sell an FFL purchased gun and later it is used in a crime they will come to you eventually to see who you sold the gun to, or lost or stolen.
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    If used in a crime they go to the original FFL and then investigate down the chain of custody from personal interview. If you sell an FFL purchased gun and later it is used in a crime they will come to you eventually to see who you sold the gun to, or lost or stolen.
    frankb that is the footwork I was talking about...not real sure any legal gun owner would want to hinder a federal investigation
    Yippee Ki Yay

I'm sure that all sounds good but from the police work I've seen I can't imagine many investigations go that far.

Quote Originally Posted by frankb View Post
    I'm sure that all sounds good but from the police work I've seen I can't imagine many investigations go that far.

True for most crimes but something horrific and high profile they will. Usually take a couple weeks until they have the info or a dead end. ATFE and FBI will start as soon as the weapon is identified. I can assure you they are doing that right now in Florida. I would hate to be the one who sold that kid those weapons in more than one way
    Henry Ford

I will tell you this, if ATFE get wind you are trying to sell a weapon with no, altered, or obscured serial number they will make the effort in short order.
    Henry Ford