Whitetails Unlimited TaxidermySwamp Boogers
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Union co. Wma

he got a pretty good answer in #3 too
    Yippee Ki Yay

Then go with that if you like but get off the idea that anyone is or would think of bashing the op for asking about population. Seems that was the train of thought in post #3 too.
    Worship the LORD, not His creation.

A real sensitive group here. I think we need a Kumbaya moment.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Just to clear things up on my end, Lucky Clucker asked twice about turkey population around the union county area WMA. Nobody responded even tho several folks hunt WMA around there that post on here. I gave him what I thought about the turkey population from my experience from coon hunting and my very few times I've turkey hunted WMA in the past 10 years. My comment about WMA hunters getting sensitive when turkeys and WMA are brought up was to get at why he had not got a reply after asking twice. Spur there was nothing aimed at you but you had to make smart remarks towards me so I gave you a little of what you dished out. Sorry you got your feelings hurt.

I got thick skin. Good to know your inner thoughts though. Hope I was clear enough with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by spur hunter View Post
    I got thick skin. Good to know your inner thoughts though. Hope I was clear enough with mine.
    Yes sir, you made it clear the type of person you are.

Sorry you got your feelings hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by spur hunter View Post
    Sorry you got your feelings hurt.
    Hahaha. You got me! Have a good season spur.

Well scouted Saturday, heard several even in the rain, had one come by gobbling around 9, in my favorite place.seen several hens and a few gobblers. Had a run in with 2 game wardens who were as bad as I seen in years.Got accused of hunting,Ihadno gun,got accused of baiting after a search of my car where had empty corn sack in it that I putin ther to put trash in,I had put it in after fed my chickens at home to keep dog from chewing it and clean out car,lol, I dontblame them in doing ther job that's what there for,but shakehands and treat a guy with his son some manners.I almost didn't buy my license after that.It scared my son bad witnessing them act like We were criminals and being told I was hiding a gun and etc.They got myinfo and called a dog in to find a gun and corn,I showed them where we walked, and all.WellINg guess I was right I did not receive a callback from them. Lol,I bet theyhad fun walking back up that steep hill anyway. Well I hope see them again when we are toting gobblers back to the truck in a couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Clucker View Post
    Well scouted Saturday, heard several even in the rain, had one come by gobbling around 9, in my favorite place.seen several hens and a few gobblers. Had a run in with 2 game wardens who were as bad as I seen in years.Got accused of hunting,Ihadno gun,got accused of baiting after a search of my car where had empty corn sack in it that I putin ther to put trash in,I had put it in after fed my chickens at home to keep dog from chewing it and clean out car,lol, I dontblame them in doing ther job that's what there for,but shakehands and treat a guy with his son some manners.I almost didn't buy my license after that.It scared my son bad witnessing them act like We were criminals and being told I was hiding a gun and etc.They got myinfo and called a dog in to find a gun and corn,I showed them where we walked, and all.WellINg guess I was right I did not receive a callback from them. Lol,I bet theyhad fun walking back up that steep hill anyway. Well I hope see them again when we are toting gobblers back to the truck in a couple weeks.
    Did you get their badge number? I would call Columbia. Never run into that in sc most are polite and nice guys. When was scouting illegal? Never should have acted that way with you son there. Periils of gma hunting, you WILL be accosted by a GW.
    Last edited by Iceman; 03-18-2018 at 04:30 PM.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

yeah...that kinda stinks right there. It's not hard to understand they need to investigate...no real need to act like Jack Booted Thugs scaring the life outta a child...especially since it seems clear from your post anyway, that you were able to answer their investigation with reasonable answers or explanations for what they did find.
    Yippee Ki Yay

What were their names?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    "Knowledge is true opinion." ~ Plato

"We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive. "-Aldo Leopold

WOW ! I have been checked several times in game zone 2 by GW's asking for license and checking for loaded guns while in transit without an incident. In each case, they acted very professional and low keyed. Even ended in friendly conversation.

LC, Were you in Union County? I know a lot of that WMA is in Laurens County as well

Quote Originally Posted by vermontlad View Post
    WOW ! I have been checked several times in game zone 2 by GW's asking for license and checking for loaded guns while in transit without an incident. In each case, they acted very professional and low keyed. Even ended in friendly conversation.
    That has generally been my experience in SC too. Now NC GWs can be a real horses butt and that is the general case.
    Henry Ford

Having an empty corn bag in a pick-up while on WMA land is like using an empty beer bottle for tobacco spit in traffic. LEO's who patrol both environs are likely to get in a bit of a snit. Just saying, innocent or not. It gives the appearance of wrongdoing.

Quote Originally Posted by w33kender View Post
    Having an empty corn bag in a pick-up while on WMA land is like using an empty beer bottle for tobacco spit in traffic. LEO's who patrol both environs are likely to get in a bit of a snit. Just saying, innocent or not. It gives the appearance of wrongdoing.
    My thoughts, exactly; and I'm no fan of GWs even though I've never had a bad experience with any of 'em............I'm just kin to too many and know way too many others!!!!!!!!
    NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, Palmetto Gun Rights, NAGR, GOA, Second Amendment Foundation, and proud SC redneck still flying The Stars and Bars.

Well baiting is one thing, being accused of hunting out of season is another. Could and should have been handled differently with a youngster along. If they were doing anything wrong a kid will give it up easily without being water boarded. I doubt I would have been as cordial as Lucky Clucker, for what good it would have done me, (none).
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Well baiting is one thing, being accused of hunting out of season is another. Could and should have been handled differently with a youngster along. If they were doing anything wrong a kid will give it up easily without being water boarded.
    I agree that tact should always be the tone of any conversation between adults, even when one is in a position of authority over another.

They are really pressured to write citations for turkey baiting violations. A couple years ago I was threatened to be written up because the farmer had a salt block in every field for his cattle. I turned around and took a picture of the cattle surrounding the salt block and told them " go ahead, I'll smoke you in court ". Pitiful, I don't bait for anything including deer. I would quit hunting first . And that was private property . I lost a lot of respect for them and told them so. They knew me and knew I didn't bait. Heck I won't even crawl on a turkey or hunt from a blind. Sad.

Also what time was this encountered?

"We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive. "-Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly stalker View Post
    They are really pressured to write citations for turkey baiting violations. .
    Why is that? Also, if you knowingly hunting over bait if you placed or not is illegal to hunt over. You can't legally shoot turkeys it doves over leaking grains bins no more than cracked corn in the woods. A farming using minerals and salt makes his farm illegal to hunt near. I don't like that law but it is true.

They are really pressured to write citations for turkey baiting violations. A couple years ago I was threatened to be written up because the farmer had a salt block in every field for his cattle. I turned around and took a picture of the cattle surrounding the salt block and told them " go ahead, I'll smoke you in court ". Pitiful, I don't bait for anything including deer. I would quit hunting first . And that was private property . I lost a lot of respect for them and told them so. They knew me and knew I didn't bait. Heck I won't even crawl on a turkey or hunt from a blind. Sad.
    What was the issue there ? General Regulations 2.6 states "Salt/minerals are not considered bait".

For deer. Turkey regs are different unless they changed.

Quote Originally Posted by scbowhunter1000 View Post
    for deer. Turkey regs are different unless they changed.

Sent from my samsung-sm-g930a using tapatalk
    gotcha.

Default Union co. Wma

There needs to be a more general rule than cannot hunt over bait. It should say a yardage away from bait source. Mississippi states you have to be at least 100 yards away. This way the hunter does not have to worry about what this warden or that warden’s idea on hunting over bait is and can just do their thing. I have no want or desire to bait but I also want to be able to hunt if somehow I come upon something on the ground I did not know was there. This especially makes sense since hog hunting is allowed year around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’ Isaiah 41:10

Several things about baiting that are in question. First is is illegal to hunt turkey or migratory birds over bait and the hunter need not know there is bait there to be charged. Now if the bait is on private land across the property line how are you to know unless you treaspass. Secondly if you bait one area on a 1000 acre then the whole property is considered baited even if the bait is miles away. I guess if you baited it you get what you deserve but with clubs you never know what could be in the next hollow. I have also seen folks cross the property line and place bait on the neighbor to stop them from hunting or just to be a pain. Call the warden too to get them in deep. Caution is in order.
    Henry Ford

The GW'S told me they were under pressure to "make baiting cases". Also you are incorrect about the farms being illegal, its not that simple. These 2 GW'S told me that you don't even have to "know" the area is baited to be in violation. I would have to test that one in front of a jury. I will never help DNR out again. I wasn't issued a ticket.

Do you think there is more baiting going on than usual. They were active in our area last year looking for bait, I hear arial searches and all out. Probably this year too. I called on a baiter several years ago. I think they got ticked off I called. I told them within 100 yards where the bait was. Never heard if they charged anyone or not. I called back to see if they found it or what was going on and he blew me off with a pi$$ off attitude. I won’t call again. They are looking but I think there are enough out there baiting to keep them busy with legit baiting cases rather than something off the cuff. If you are doing it right it is discouraging to have to compete with baiters too. If a lot of people are calling them they have to check it out I guess. That was the case last year but the guy baiting wasn’t turkey hunting. They got another group that had an active feeder even though they were not hunting with 200 yards of it, still illegal. Ruined their year even though they were not the target.
    Henry Ford

The GW'S told me they were under pressure to "make baiting cases". Also you are incorrect about the farms being illegal, its not that simple. These 2 GW'S told me that you don't even have to "know" the area is baited to be in violation. I would have to test that one in front of a jury. I will never help DNR out again. I wasn't issued a ticket.
    GW's told our club last year the same thing. It could a mile and we could be ticketed. I have heard of PETA placing bait to get hunters in trouble.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast