Whitetails Unlimited TaxidermySouthern Junkey

Thread: Hand Gun / Pistol Shooting ??

Default Hand Gun / Pistol Shooting ??

Just curious -- at what *distance*, do you practice shooting your pistols ?? How many yards?? ( I practice mostly @ 10/15 steps* from target )

How many rounds do you normally shoot with each pistol, on a "range visit" ?? ( may shoot 100 rounds total, from several pistols* )

Aiming question?, do you aim below the target and bring "upward" to the intended target or aim above and bring downward ?? ( I have tried both*)

Not a "crack-shot" by any means, but enjoy shooting them all -- the 1911's are the most accurate at the range,but I carry my XD40 with me in the woods, for the extra round mag capacity** should I meet up with a "wild critter""

Looking forward to your comments - suggestions - reviews - maybe your favorite pistol & why ?? ( I like the SRT & De-cocker on my 9mm. Sig M11-A-1,making it one of my favorite shooters*)

IMG_2219 (3).jpg

My CWP gun, 15 yards or less, I vary it. Fire 50 rounds each range trip. My Encore I hunt with, out to 100 yards. Usually about 10 to 20 rounds a trip. Fired 100 rounds through my Daughter's Ruger SR-22 the other day while setting the sights at 25 yards. Aim? Straight at the target, no up or down. I like my Glock, draw and fire, no worrying about thumbing off a safety.
    http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sport037.gif

I generally pistol shoot at an indoor range. I shoot at 50 feet and 75 feet. I usually shoot about 150 rounds of 9 mm and 357, and a couple hundred rounds of 22. The 22 is more fun and cheaper to shoot. Depends on how big the crowd is. Wish I had a private outdoor range to shoot on without all the hum haw of an indoor range. Younger days I would shoot 500 to 1000 rounds of the larger bore each trip, no 22. I carry a glock 19 with laser sight but I never thought about starting up or down just on the target. Usually is slightly low and to the right to start and adjust accordingly, I think.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

I play around with my three S&W Shields at 25 yards,,,but its 100 yards with my Taurus Raging Bull .454.

I shoot about 12-15 rounds with each one of my Shields, but its only 3-5 with the .454,,,,(Just to check the scope)
    Capt Rick Hiott
    Charleston,SC

30 feet to 100 yards. Up close gets boring quickly.

7 yards on the plate rack range to work on speed and transition.

7, 10, & 15 yards. Drawing, firing 2-6 rounds, & magazine changes. Shooting, moving, & threat assessment. Sometimes 25 yards with the .44 Mag.
    Yippee Ki Yay

Do y'all use silhouette target when you practice?

Quote Originally Posted by smokey13 View Post
    Do y'all use silhouette target when you practice?
    Yes. I cut my own from cardboard. Even put old T-Shirts on them sometimes.

I usually use a piece of plan computer paper with a 2 round bullseye in the center. Just run them off on the printer at work. Nothing fancy. Easier to see you hits too.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

I ordered some of the silhouette targets from e-bay ( cheap) for my pistol shooting -- sorta hard to tell where you hit from a distance -- I get the ""glow shot splatter"" targets for my long guns -- extra stick on dots,to get maximum from each target -- another question?? ___ I see some folks shooting at ""steel" type targets* my ??? is -- does the bullet lead fall to the ground or ricochet ?? I know Jester & others, shoots some "long range" targets -- are the metal targets better for rifle or pistol ?? just curious & trying to learn something "new" __Monk

Quote Originally Posted by Big Monk View Post
    I ordered some of the silhouette targets from e-bay ( cheap) for my pistol shooting -- sorta hard to tell where you hit from a distance -- I get the ""glow shot splatter"" targets for my long guns -- extra stick on dots,to get maximum from each target -- another question?? ___ I see some folks shooting at ""steel" type targets* my ??? is -- does the bullet lead fall to the ground or ricochet ?? I know Jester & others, shoots some "long range" targets -- are the metal targets better for rifle or pistol ?? just curious & trying to learn something "new" __Monk

Bullets splatter on steel plate. Some steel plates are for conventional handgun rounds, some are for rifle or handgun. Don't want to use any steel core ammo on steel plate as that will leave more than a slight dent. Shooting steel is fun since you can hear if you hit it. Bang - Clang.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    I usually use a piece of plan computer paper with a 2” round bullseye in the center. Just run them off on the printer at work. Nothing fancy. Easier to see you hits too.
    This is what I usually do myself. Thought I might be the only cheap one doing this

Quote Originally Posted by smokey13 View Post
    This is what I usually do myself. Thought I might be the only cheap one doing this
    Frugal not cheap. Everybody else has fancy targets at the range but you still got to hit the bulls eye. They shoot theirs full of holes and have to tape them up I just use another cheap target. You would be surprised how many cant hit the full sized silhouette in the kill area at 10-12 feet.
    Henry Ford

I use something similar to these and staple a 6" pie plate in center mass. I only tape up the shots outside of the plate. Or steel poppers on the rack for the most part.
    Yippee Ki Yay

I ordered 50 of these last week for $25 off e-bay**-- they are the 10 inch,but @ 50 cents each,seemed like a deal to me** should last as long as I do?

s-l1600.jpg

CWP weapons 10' to under 30' usually 50 rounds per practice session each. Center m******************** Six 0'clock hold. Nothing fancy like trying to pick special spots to hit because I won't be doing that if I ever need to shot to stop an attacker.

Deer guns out to 70 yards usually a few rounds from different hold positions, supported and unsupported. Mostly to confirm zeros on optics and confidence in iron sights.

Star, Starfire 45acp at 15 yards cwp qualifier target.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Formerly Bill SC Hunter from the SCDNR Forums

Got military surplus weapons you want to get rid of? Lemme know!

Owner/webmaster
    Milsurpshooter.Net

slow is smooth...smooth is fast

pick up a shot timer and track your progress. Check out stances and see which one works best for you...doesn't matter if you modify it a little to suit you. With the pie plate it doesn't matter if you can't see hits in the shot out area...as long as you are not pasting up holes outside of the plate. Never fire 1 round and stop....never fire the same amount of times...
    Yippee Ki Yay

opened a brand new bulk box of 9mm and knocked a good dent in it...200+ rounds probably. Also brought some .45ACP to run my old EDC some. Worked on single shot accuracy first to get in tune a little. Then moved to transitions still at single shot. Then moved to speed and smaller target transitions (heads) still single. Moved from there to 2 shot transitions, then speed again. Went to 3 shot transitions (2 CM 1 Head) with speed. Finished up with singles and transition to the smaller target only. Then ran my buddiy's 9mm carbine a little @ 50 yds.

Probably fired close to 300 rounds between the 3 guns not counting the carbine...a good morning.

Right shoulder is really sore from painting...hard to get elbow up into high ready. Going back in a couple weeks to add draws into the mix along with more emphasis on accuracy from draw.
    Yippee Ki Yay

Visited with the Shepards and Sheepdogs yesterday. Worked on draws, speed and multiple target acquisition until the rains came... on both paper and steel. Only got about 60 rounds in and only worked with my XDm.
    Found several things to work on. My best times from low ready were right at .5 and my shooting buddy got it at .3 and a little under...have to hit in the zone for it to count. On the multiples...a 21 round volley..1st target gets 1, 2nd gets 2, 3rd gets 3, then 4 more...back to target 2 with 5, back to target 1 with 6. I got 3 outside the score range, 2 in -1 and one in -5. Just getting familiar with the drill...ran out of time before rain to get timed in it. A good day!

What have you worked on?
    Yippee Ki Yay

1000 yards. I used to shoot 600 yards but that’s for sissy’s. I now go for 1000.
    If you think healthcare is expensive now, just wait until you see how expensive it is when it's free.