Whitetails Unlimited TaxidermyAdvertise on SCON

Thread: What do ya'll shoot

Default What do ya'll shoot

Shot ML's since I was 8 but always shot PRB. Put together an encore over last few weeks and tried a few loads in it. Old great plains bullets and powerbelts shoot great over 100gr of pyrodex or 2 777 pellets. Grabbed a pack of green sabots with 240gr xtp's. It shot fine but after 2 shots it was tight getting that third one in. I can shoot 7 or 8 powerbelts or conicals before it gets really tight. I read sabots are better for longer range. I'm leaving mine unscoped for now so shots will be 100 or less. I'm at the point of buying new projectiles and curious what yall us with the best success on game. Mine seems to shoot pretty much anything in couple inch group at 100yds with open sights. Ive read bad things about powerbelts. Thought about finding a mold for a maxi ball or similar and make some with wheel weights. Also thought about the mmp orange sabots that hold 45/70 bullets. I have a pile of 45/70 bullets. This will be my first year hunting with one. Not that any of them wont kill a deer I just curious what ya'll seasoned smokepolers use

Harvester Sabots & 240 grain( 44 cal ) XTP. I clean after every shot. Killed a bunch of Deer and Hogs with this load. Power Belts shoot great, but I have had some really poor blood trails with them. They tend to flatten out and not exit.
    http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sport037.gif

full clean or swab the bore with a wet patch. Went home at lunch and shot a few. I can load conicals and powerbelts 4 or 5 shots easy without cleaning. Those sabots are tight

Shoot...wet patch...dry patch...dry patch...reload. They load easier in a clean barrel. The only time I reload without cleaning after every shot, is when I just killed a Deer and the other Deer that was with it stands around long enough to kill it too.
    http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sport037.gif

If you decide to mold your own (maxi-ball or otherwise), make sure you use pure lead and not wheel weight lead. Wheel weights are a lead/tin alloy and are too hard for ML bullets. The exception to this are stick on wheel weights which are usually pure lead.
    .45-70 is the only Government I trust...

Im going to order some crush rib sabots and some 45 cal 250gr xtp to try. If they dont work, worse case i can shoot the xtp's in my 45 colts

Shoot the copper power belts now. I like the original Harvester cast bullets best, most accurate in my rifle. Want to try the the platinum series and aerolite PowerBelt. No more than I shoot the ml it doesn’t really matter as long as it will kill a deer.
    Last edited by Iceman; 04-29-2018 at 10:44 AM.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Im retarded as i like to load up a ml and shoot it 20 times or so just cause. Those powerbelts get expensive doing that. All mine seem to like those 295 powerbelts. Im gonna try your shoot one wet patch 2 dry patch deal and see how that does with the sabots.

If you will " Mike" your barrel , and then do a little research on the bullet(s) you are interested in, you will have a lot shorter learning curve on the best bullet for your gun. They vary in diameter widely." Chuck Hawks rifle page " has tons of info that will save you a lot of headaches. They make a lot of different sabots to go with different bullets for a ML.

I've gone back to shooting my T/C Hawken with good ol' patch and ball.
    Formerly Bill SC Hunter from the SCDNR Forums

Got military surplus weapons you want to get rid of? Lemme know!

Owner/webmaster
    Milsurpshooter.Net

parallax, I think I'm gonna do the same. I'm trying to like the encore but I cant. Main thing I don't like is the ramrod is too short. have to put extension on it for everything. My old tc sidelocks load easier and to me are easier to clean. The inlines need wrenches and screwdrivers and thread brushes and special nipple picks etc. My sidelocks, push a pin out, take barrel off, take nipple off and its done. only need a little nipple wrench. I think I'm going to sell the encore rifle barrel and keep the encore pistol 209x50 barrel and use it for backup to my caplock. Ive got my eye on a 54 cal barrel for my new Englander. It might be fun to throw some big lead down range.

Speaking of the 54 cal New Englander! My son hunts with one I bought him years ago. He settled on a patch and ball load and killed a nice doe with it a few years ago. He loves it and is seeking out one of the rare 12 gauge barrels for it.
    Being a bit of a fan of "old school" things I sold my 209x50 barrel after hunting with it for a few years. It was so hard to clean and when scoped I felt like I was cheating when hunting deer with it.

I like a challenge and even went back to shooting a 72" long bow before my fall. Since the shoulder replacement I can't shoot a bow at all. If I am to archery hunt at all I'm going to have to go with a crossbow but good ones are SO expensive!
    Formerly Bill SC Hunter from the SCDNR Forums

Got military surplus weapons you want to get rid of? Lemme know!

Owner/webmaster
    Milsurpshooter.Net

yes they are a pain to clean. I have 2 of the 12ga new Englanders. One is blued walnut with cylinder bore. the other is a tree hawk in camo with interchangeable chokes. I wanna kill a turkey with one and plan to use the other for quail and maybe a wood duck hunt sometime. Tell him they come up from time to time online. I found one for a buddy a month or so ago. Looked to have been unfired for $350. I thought id like the inline better but I like the old stuff. I want a 54 of some flavor, either a new Englander barrel or maybe a renegade.