• 1 - On the Board

4 14.29%
  • 2 - Doubled Down

4 14.29%
  • 3 - Tagged Out!

11 39.29%

Thread: 2018 Most Certainly Un-Official Season Harvest Poll

Default 2018 Most Certainly Un-Official Season Harvest Poll

Another year in the books...hope everyone had a good season. Here is this years' unofficial poll for turkey harvest, for posterity and curiosity, only. Please take a second or two to fill it out, and you can do it again for others' tally who hunted with you, too.

Was a good season. Always is despite what scdnr and the like want you to believe.
    Infamous Beard Buster

Quote Originally Posted by 3chunter View Post
    Was a good season. Always is despite what scdnr and the like want you to believe.
    Agree. Definetly had my share of chances to use my third tag, but I was dead set on getting my boy his first bird. Still had a fun season and made a ton of memories. One thing that I did find odd, I only saw 1 jake all season long. I hope that isn't a clue as to a decline in population for next year's season.

I saw 17 jakes in one day beginning of season.
    Infamous Beard Buster

Had a long weekend hunting the farm and we saw over 20 Jakes from Thursday to Sunday. Plenty of longbeards made it through the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’ Isaiah 41:10

Worst season in 15 years. We had decent numbers on our cameras through the end of deer season, but only saw 5 turkeys in total for the whole season. Only heard one bird gobble and that was opening weekend. Also heard very few shots throughout the season.

You are not in a spot liked by turkeys then. I’d bet you don’t have a big tree hardwood swamp close. Obviously you aren’t in a spot that hens like in the spring.
    Infamous Beard Buster

Turkeys have different needs during the spring than they have during the fall/winter. If they used to be there in the spring then something has happened to the habitat since then and now.

Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’ Isaiah 41:10

Good season, just too dang short. Gobbling activity was pathetic, actually just flat out sucked, but they dont have to gobble in order to kill them, just a lot more fun when they do come in gobbling.
    Seem to have a good many jakes and several longbeards left over for next year.
    My kids and nephew all got in on the action, was a good year once again.
    RIP Dakota 2/1/13
    NBK

Gobbling activity was very low but some days fair. Called in 12 to 15 hens at different set ups but no gobblers followed. Only heard two shots in our area all season but I only got to hunt opening day and saturdays. Lot of hunters in the area not to hear any shooting. Less sign on our property than in past years but plenty of birds in the area. Saw large flocks of gobblers and hens in deer season. I know they don’t nessisarily stay put after they split up or in the same areas of the property. Still had some good hunts and saw plenty of deer and no hogs.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by 3chunter View Post
    You are not in a spot liked by turkeys then. I’d bet you don’t have a big tree hardwood swamp close. Obviously you aren’t in a spot that hens like in the spring.
    Definitely no swamps around our property. Several ponds and creeks that they traditionally will hold and roost around. We always loose turkeys from fall to spring, but our hay fields and food plots keep enough around to hunt. Just for whatever reason they ALL left this year.

Quote Originally Posted by davisd9 View Post
    Turkeys have different needs during the spring than they have during the fall/winter. If they used to be there in the spring then something has happened to the habitat since then and now.

The biggest habitat change from the winter to the spring was that our neighbors did a control burn on part of their property. My theory was that drew a lot of birds that traditionally stay on our farm over to them. It was just frustrating to go from last season killing my 1 bird in the first hour, my dad killing his 1 bird the next day and having the best season/hatch in a long time to getting skunked this year. Oh well, at least the fishing has been good this year!!!

Quote Originally Posted by davisd9 View Post

Oh there are still plenty of turkey there. Still seem to have a lot of hens and if there are hens there have to be gobblers there too. Habitat has change (thinning) but should favor turkey not run them off as there is more understory vegetation in the cleared strips. Good to get back to fishing, wasted a month screwing around with turkeys.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

If you lose turkeys from fall to spring then your property is lacking some things. Now it may be good nesting cover or no bugging or could be as simple as a farmer spraying your plots or your neighbor planting lots of chufa. But probably the topography makeup limitations.
    Infamous Beard Buster

Was a good year for me. Only got to go maybe 5 times before I got my limit. Heard good gobbling the last day I went even tho I didn't hear one on the roost. Was a weird year for roost gobbling for me with very little roost gobbling. Lots of jakes for next year too

I doubled with a buddy on opening day, killed my second the first Friday of the season, and tagged out on Good Friday. Had a buddy hunt with me opening weekend and killed a double with one shot, was the best roost gobbling of the year. I hunted 9 days. I saw 23 Toms, 17 Jakes, and a pile of hens. One property that is usually very good has me a bit concerned, one bird was killed but not near the gobbling or sighting as usual but I hunted it just twice. Another property was good and my father in law’s farm was very good. Have not seen that many birds since 2012 and I thought last year was going to be tough to beat. I heard gobbling on about all hunts but one and heard yelping that hunt. Took a friend the 27th and had two Toms on fire, called 7 Jakes to 60 yards, and had interactions with 5 other birds. On the 3 properties I hunt 2 were killed on a tract of 225 acres, 1 on a 250 acre tract, and a Jake and 6 Toms off the farm.

Got one first trip. Worked one almost into range second trip. Worked one third trip that never showed himself. Pretty good season for me. Couldn't get back to all the birds I had located at another place due to the river rising 13 feet...
    http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sport037.gif

Saw 7 die and 2 missed and walked 180 miles total 3/17 through 5/5. Made two camping trips and hunted the mountains to the low state. Probably the toughest trek was a mountain hunt with 7.7 miles and 130 stories climbed. Tagged out fairly early then worked a number of others that didn't get shot at for various reasons. Was a unique season, weather resembling what used to be "normal". I've killed 136 SC birds but decided this season that I really don't know nearly as much about hunting them as I've previously thought. You can do quite a bit to be in the right spot but it still boils down to a great deal of chance, at least when you hunt them on even terms. That's appropriate IMO.
    Worship the LORD, not His creation.

Was a good one. I miss it! Always do! Next year I hope to add an Osceola or rio to the tally.
    Infamous Beard Buster