Advertise on SCONSouthern Junkey

Thread: Poults on the ground

Default Poults on the ground

I never lose, either I win or I learn.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl4...KYrd6gYeMvlnbw

Not looking good around our farm. Saw one hen that only had one the other day. Yesterday while loading hay saw 3 toms strutting 4 hens. None of the hens had poults. The only good news is that 3 of our 4 gobblers made it through the season.

I saw 4-5 longbeards and several jakes yesterday with a hen on a piece I saw very few birds on during the season. Haven't seen many hens lately so I guess they are still on the nest mostly. Hope they have a good year raising and hope most aren't hatched put yet with all this torrential rain I'm getting on my area
    Last week the same field had 17 jakes and 5 longbeards in it at one time. There was 5 longbeards with 7 jakes on one end and a group of 10 jakes on the other side of the field. They'll all be somewhere else next year from March 20th to May 5th like they always are.

Looks like it was another great year for poults around my area. Havent seen but a few hens since July 1st when the turkey survey starts but I have seen 5 hens that has a combined 40 something poults half grown and flying. Seen 2 without poults.

Saw 3 sets of big poults today. Each set were 12 weeks or so old.
    Infamous Beard Buster

For the month of July I have seen 11 hens and of them 11 they had 70 poults. 2 of the hens didn’t have any and I have seen 3 groups of 2 longbeards in each group and one group of 18 last years jakes. I have seen more poults per hen this year than ever before and can’t wait to hear what Ruth has to say. Wonder if it will be the continued doom and gloom or is it time yet for them to say the 3 bird limit is paying off with higher populations??

Saw a hen last weekend walking the edge of a field with two "chicks". Guessing her first nest got busted and she was able to breed again, because those little guys were small.