Camera Land, IncWhitetails Unlimited Taxidermy

Thread: Who is ready for deer season?

Default Who is ready for deer season?

I know I am excited to be in the woods. The fall and the cool evenings and crisp mornings watching the woods wake up are some of my favorite parts. Unless you get out and experience it you will never understand...of course taking some deer home isnít bad either. What is everyone else looking forward to as far as deer season?

To early for thinking about Deer season. Planning to hunt Hogs more this year though, and do more still-hunting than sitting in a tree. Taking the Wife and Daughter, or a friend or two hunting is mostly what I enjoy about Deer hunting anymore.
    http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sport037.gif

I will be putting a stand up Friday and looking forward to planting chufa soon for the Turks.
    Infamous Beard Buster

A lot of work to do at the club house. A lot of fishing to catch up on before deer season. This time of year is my family season, vacation, grandkids and such but can usually get away to fish on Saturday.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Working hard now to keep the deer out of my dove field now. Have corn and sunflowers growing. Hope I don't have to resort to depredation permits. Also fishing now. Too early to thing about deer season......That comes in July.

I've noticed a lot more undergrowth in our hardwoods than I have seen in many years. I hope the additional cover will allow bucks to feel safer in crossing through now as they did a decade ago when we had similar heavy undergrowth/cover. My cameras have been showing a lot more deer and far less coyotes so far but I suspect when the fawns arrive so will the return of the yotes.

My son and I are clearing some of the extra trees and cover out of our 8 acre field to allow us to set up some shooting lanes for a much anticipated deer stand near my dad's house for an easy access deer hunt. We will be able to reach out to 150 yards in this location and not impact the deer as much as we would when we have to enter the hardwoods to get to our traditional stand locations.

I'm looking forward to the season quite a bit.
    Formerly Bill SC Hunter from the SCDNR Forums

Got military surplus weapons you want to get rid of? Lemme know!

Owner/webmaster
    Milsurpshooter.Net

Getting my Food Plots ready and limed for the winter and filling the feeders and putting camera's out. Have already started and love to be in the deer woods before it gets too hot to breath.

I'm always thinking about the next fall even when I'm enjoying the current season. We moved three bow ladders in early January to take advantage of certain trails and the best wind for each one.

One stand (an Ameristep w/no shooting rail) has been put on a road edge between an old pine plantation and a thick regenerating cutover. This spot has some "duh" obvious trails. I put a camera there last fall without corn to draw them in and had a big bodied buck, a nice sized sow, and a couple old does pass through this trail. The buck was before daylight, however.

Another stand (also an Ameristep) is at the cusp of a funnel between a bottom, an older pine plantation, and a two-track road. It's a natural crossing but the wind is tricky and swirls a bit. The wind could screw me here big time, because the deer could come from opposite directions. I call it a south wind stand, though, and will gamble on that side of things I think.

The third stand (a CB ladder stand) was put in a shady narrow bottom area on a hummock with trails all around it.

Loads of hogs but also some older bucks. We have pictures of two very old 8 and 9 points from the last two falls. I think in order to see either of those boys in the daylight, I'm going to have to hunt the bottom stand without my usual pile of corn. I have killed old bucks over corn with a rifle but I'm not sure I can do that with a bow. I could be wrong but I have a gut feeling here. I really don't want them to know I'm down there.

Bought some lifelines for each stand last month, also, as well as a quality flashlight for any blood trailing.

I bowhunt 99% of the time since taking up that weapon only two seasons ago but I do enjoy using a rifle once a year at a friend's place.

Quote Originally Posted by w33kender View Post
    I'm always thinking about the next fall even when I'm enjoying the current season. We moved three bow ladders in early January to take advantage of certain trails and the best wind for each one.

One stand (an Ameristep w/no shooting rail) has been put on a road edge between an old pine plantation and a thick regenerating cutover. This spot has some "duh" obvious trails. I put a camera there last fall without corn to draw them in and had a big bodied buck, a nice sized sow, and a couple old does pass through this trail. The buck was before daylight, however.

Another stand (also an Ameristep) is at the cusp of a funnel between a bottom, an older pine plantation, and a two-track road. It's a natural crossing but the wind is tricky and swirls a bit. The wind could screw me here big time, because the deer could come from opposite directions. I call it a south wind stand, though, and will gamble on that side of things I think.

The third stand (a CB ladder stand) was put in a shady narrow bottom area on a hummock with trails all around it.

Loads of hogs but also some older bucks. We have pictures of two very old 8 and 9 points from the last two falls. I think in order to see either of those boys in the daylight, I'm going to have to hunt the bottom stand without my usual pile of corn. I have killed old bucks over corn with a rifle but I'm not sure I can do that with a bow. I could be wrong but I have a gut feeling here. I really don't want them to know I'm down there.

Bought some lifelines for each stand last month, also, as well as a quality flashlight for any blood trailing.

I bowhunt 99% of the time since taking up that weapon only two seasons ago but I do enjoy using a rifle once a year at a friend's place.
    Good luck W33kender. Looks like you are getting a good head start and probably avoid the heat of August putting up stand.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

My stands stay up year 'round, so as the season gets closer I'll check the tie down straps and recover those that need it, as well as trim some limbs that have grown and gotten in the way. I also keep my cameras out year 'round, but I haven't checked 'em since turkey season ended.

BTW, I hunt for the sole purpose of killing something........whether it's a deer, 'yote, feral dog, or ditch tiger.
    NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, Palmetto Gun Rights, NAGR, GOA, Second Amendment Foundation, and proud SC redneck still flying The Stars and Bars.

x2
    Henry Ford

I'm always thinking about deer season... went to TS today and bought a mineral block to put out in my food plot. I think I'll hunt opening day with by Ruger Super Blackhawk 41 mag.
    Ruger 77 .243
    Ruger 77 .308
    Ruger No. 1S 30-06
    Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter .41 mag
    Leupold Optics

I am getting ready. I am moving my stands this year to different locations. Working on getting them set up.

Currently I'm hunting a trespasser who is camping out on our property. A cousin and I have both taken out trespass warrants for him but the sheriff's department can't seem to catch him. I even furnished them with trail cam photos when I took out the warrant. I can't prove he is guilty, but all of my turkey calls were stolen from my ground blind plus it was pulled up and tampered with back during the season.
    NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, Palmetto Gun Rights, NAGR, GOA, Second Amendment Foundation, and proud SC redneck still flying The Stars and Bars.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas4 View Post
    Currently I'm hunting a trespasser who is camping out on our property. A cousin and I have both taken out trespass warrants for him but the sheriff's department can't seem to catch him. I even furnished them with trail cam photos when I took out the warrant. I can't prove he is guilty, but all of my turkey calls were stolen from my ground blind plus it was pulled up and tampered with back during the season.
    Turkey poachers are difficult to catch as they seem to never work and move a lot, AND THERE ARE A LOT OF THEM. We had one i nearly caught when he came to his pick up car. I had to run to catch up with him but he jumped in got away. Never came back though to my knowledge.
    Henry Ford

We've positively identified this guy, know his last job and his ex-mother-in-law has a restraining order against him. Where he's been camping here on our family property is on an elevated platform my uncle built ten years ago to deer hunt and it's located where this joker can watch the ex-MIL's house. He's been stalking his ex-wife and evidently watches to see if he can intercept her when she visits. This is definitely someone who should be locked up and obviously trespassing is merely the tip of the iceburg for his criminal activities.

Yes a tragedy in waiting.
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Yes a tragedy in waiting.
    No question about it.

I work about every day this time of year til September except for every other Sunday so when deer season rolls around I don't have to work but 3-4 days a month. If I go to the club it is to cut grass and work. I've replenished all mineral Licks and have a few cameras up. Come the first of September I'll start looking forward to it but not in May.

I been getting seed in the ground since March, so it's always work, still have more ground to disk, and more seed to sling, just for a season. Also just had a fresh lane cut in some timber, so I have to get the stumps out, and ground torn up before anything can be planted.